1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Spare key replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 01:34 PM
Spare key replacement.

Never had to replace a key with unlocking/locking remote so I wouldn’t know where to start.

Just trying to get a spare key just for an emergency.

Any advice on what to do or where to go? Thanks y’all!

Old 02-15-2019, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
You will need to get a blank:

Key, Immobilizer & Transmitter(Blank) - Honda (35111-SHJ-305)

...then take the key to a locksmith with your existing one to have it cut. Then take the car and new key to your dealer to have the key flashed to your immobilizer system so it will not immobilize the car when you try to start it. This is the expensive part. Ask your dealer.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
You can get a plain steel key made for cheap (guess 10 bucks or less?) that will open the door to get you inside but will not start the engine (because it has no "chip")
We call it a wallet key or emergency key.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by der Mond
You will need to get a blank:

Key, Immobilizer & Transmitter(Blank) - Honda (35111-SHJ-305)

...then take the key to a locksmith with your existing one to have it cut. Then take the car and new key to your dealer to have the key flashed to your immobilizer system so it will not immobilize the car when you try to start it. This is the expensive part. Ask your dealer.
Originally Posted by ezone
You can get a plain steel key made for cheap (guess 10 bucks or less?) that will open the door to get you inside but will not start the engine (because it has no "chip")

thank you very much for the feedback! I will definitely look into this!! This forum rocks!

thabks again

Old 02-16-2019, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
one more thing

...there is a chance that the locksmith can flash the new key for less than the dealer - ask.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by der Mond
...there is a chance that the locksmith can flash the new key for less than the dealer - ask.
Noted.

One of my co workers has a son who programs those key remotes maybe that could be a way to save on that. I’ll ask away on Monday

Old 02-17-2019, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
Can this be made from VIN number? I asking because my my ex-neighbor with mental illness unlocked my car, got inside, and tried to change immobilizer code (to make me unable to start my car) using pirated software from laptop (did not work; he got caught in act while keep trying). Law enforcement confiscated his laptop and key , but let him go (I don't know details of the conversation)
Sorry for off-top

Old 02-17-2019, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
Programming the key is about $230

Old 02-18-2019, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctor J
Can this be made from VIN number?
Short answer is yes, that's how the dealership can cut new keys after someone has lost all their other keys.
There's more to it than just the vin though.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:38 AM
Originally Posted by RixAE86
Never had to replace a key with unlocking/locking remote so I wouldn’t know where to start.

Just trying to get a spare key just for an emergency.

Any advice on what to do or where to go? Thanks y’all!
I was doing the same thing you were doing when I got my Fit. I called around and found a locksmith that got me a copy. It had the chip and started, locked and opened the car. The thing about it was that the key had no durability to it at all! I ended up breaking it and its in pieces now. I could still use it to this day for an emergency and using two hands to findle with everything.

The thing with this replacement was that the metal part was pretty much what you see in your original key. The rest of it was just a plastic case with the rest of the stuff held together. I say avoid the cheap knock off plastic stuff. ~$100 wasted.

Take care of that original!

Old 02-21-2019, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
I've found out that no local stores can make a duplicate (my key shows signs of wear).
Dealer wants $200 for the key, ACE hardware website says "we support your key", store says no.
I may end up swapping lock cores (left to right) as passenger side lock can tolerate even worn key
Funny that my ex-neighbor found the way to make a mechanical key (using gang chain or whatever) to unlock the driver's door with minimum damage to the lock!
[Criminals can use firearms without restriction while law abiding citizens are facing nightmare after using firearm to defend themselves; getting key made is the same waste of time]