General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Key Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Key Question

I want to have a spare, non-transponder, entry-only key that I can put in my wallet, and hide the 2nd factory key somewhere in the car. I like to carry a spare key in my wallet, and the factory key is too bulky. Has anyone had one made that's just flat metal, without a plastic covering?

Also, I got to thinking - How is the alarm / immobilizer incorporated with the programmed key? There are no contacts on it, like I've seen on some other cars. Is it magnetized, like a credit card?

Just curious...

Old 05-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Its probably RFID technology like what is used in building access systems. The car generates a small electromagnetic field that powers up the chip imbedded in the key. The chip then transmits its super-magic sequence of numbers back to the car....or something like that...

Old 05-02-2007, 09:14 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jazzplayr
I want to have a spare, non-transponder, entry-only key that I can put in my wallet, and hide the 2nd factory key somewhere in the car. I like to carry a spare key in my wallet, and the factory key is too bulky. Has anyone had one made that's just flat metal, without a plastic covering?

Also, I got to thinking - How is the alarm / immobilizer incorporated with the programmed key? There are no contacts on it, like I've seen on some other cars. Is it magnetized, like a credit card?

Just curious...
i dont know if would work for newer cars
but if you go to AAA they make a copy of your key and put it on a (credit)card to keep in your wallet and when you get locked out it will open the door i dont know if it would start the car but it could get you in the car

Old 05-03-2007, 01:18 AM
i thought i saw on here somewhere that you can get a non-transponder key from the dealership for like 8 bucks, i think they call it a valet key. check around the forums about duplicate keys.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:49 AM
I can check with parts Friday (wooo training! this one is actually good training though) but I believe most of our valet keys are still pretty bulky, or atleast not something you want to sit on all day. If there is a super thin one (like the toyotas have) there'd be no place for the RFID tag. I like the credit-card like key idea. Only downside is you better really hide that key. if someone bashes the window open for your stuff inside and finds a factory key, you're SOL

Old 05-03-2007, 05:36 AM
Originally Posted by arsonall
i thought i saw on here somewhere that you can get a non-transponder key from the dealership for like 8 bucks, i think they call it a valet key. check around the forums about duplicate keys.
Its 150 bucks canadian. I checked since i like to have the same thing. Id rather just call a tow truck or use a coat hanger to push the unlock buttons rather than pay 150 bucks to have the freaking key in my wallet. Apparently its so expensive since most of the cost goes into reprogramming the other keys, or so the lady in parts told me anyway. The actual key and cut is only like 20 bucks.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

I've got a duplicate made at my Honda dealership for 6$.
It was just the metal part to unlock the car. So no programming required.

Of course it just unlocks the doors, but it can get wet without "breaking"!

Old 05-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by End-i
I've got a duplicate made at my Honda dealership for 6$.
It was just the metal part to unlock the car. So no programming required.

Of course it just unlocks the doors, but it can get wet without "breaking"!
thats what i was talking about, a metal key only, i thought they did this.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.