General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Love my new Fit except for the gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
Love my new Fit except for the gas pedal

So about a month ago I finally got a Honda Fit (2010 base model). I absolutely love it so far except for the gas pedal. It seems to be giving me a sort of carpal tunnel problem in my ankle/shin area. I think it's because either the pedal is stiffer than I am used to or at a different angle then I am used to. I should also mention that my commute is currently about 80 miles a day, which definitely does not help matters. The base model does not have cruise control but I am thinking of having Classic Soft Trim ( Classic Soft Trim ) add it. (Anyone use them for this?)

This past week I have been putting my foot at more of an angle while hitting the gas and bringing my foot to the floor more to rest. This seems to be helping a bit. I'm guessing also after a while my foot muscles will get use to the feel. Perhaps the gas pedal will break-in after a while and get looser?

Are there other Fit (or Honda) owners out there who have noticed this problem? If so, what things you have done to alleviate it?

Old 06-13-2010, 12:16 PM
I struggled to make the Fit more comfortable for me, as it is rather limited in front seat travel.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-specific.html

Several modification focused on the throttle pedal:
- cutting away some of the padding under the carpet
- changing the overall angle of the pedal.

Also, get extra thick floor mats. It sounds counter-intuitive, but it helps...

And lastly... not sure if this is the brightest idea, but I used a couple of thick washers under the front bolts on the seat to raise the front edge of the seat. It's subtle, but it gives the whole seat a more "reclined into a bucket" than "sitting on a too-low-kitchen chair" feel.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Its a different angle then most cars. I usually just use the cruse control and then press the steering wheel buttons to accel or decel. That way im not on it. However this is not an option for you

Old 06-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by mdbrich
Its a different angle then most cars. I usually just use the cruse control and then press the steering wheel buttons to accel or decel. That way im not on it. However this is not an option for you
I do the same thing on long hauls to Maine. Real Drive By Wire experience.

As far as the gas pedal goes I think alot has to do with it being a DBW vehicle. It does takes a bit of getting used to.

Along with Occam's creative approach some one else recently posted they added a spring to the gas pedal to give it a more positive feel.

I've realized it can take a while to fit in a FIT..

Old 06-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
I do the same thing on long hauls to Maine. Real Drive By Wire experience.

As far as the gas pedal goes I think alot has to do with it being a DBW vehicle. It does takes a bit of getting used to.

Along with Occam's creative approach some one else recently posted they added a spring to the gas pedal to give it a more positive feel.

I've realized it can take a while to fit in a FIT..
Some people do mods for speed or handling prowess... I just want it to be a comfortable on long drives as my CR-V was (for that car's faults in the engine/transmission dept, and it's uncanny knack for devouring more gas than any 2.0L should be allowed, holy CRAP was it comfortable!)

The end-game for years of interior tweaks:

Old 06-13-2010, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
I've never heard anyone complain the gas pedal is too stiff, only not stiff enough. I've added an extra spring to mine and can't imagine going back.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:11 PM
AWESOME DUDE - those FIT campers need to see this.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, there's 2 design flaws on the Fit's accelerator pedal...

one is that it's too light
two is that it's too close made for short legged people.

both instances i too have been struggling the last 3yrs or so of ownership.

-for the 'too light' part, i have been resting part of my foot on the floor so that i dont have to keep inputting my leg not to push. this wore the floor carpeting.

-for the 'pedal too close' part, unlike the 09-10's my 08 does not have telescoping steering wheel so i added spacers and got an aftermarket steering wheel.

both helps but still not the most comfy. i dont drive this car more than 25miles a day so i can live but sometimes i too get cramps in my right shin. not good while driving.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:13 PM
All of my little tweaks seem to have paid off - between the gas pedal angle change, clearing out some padding, and raising the front edge of the seat just a smidge, the car feels just about perfect. My only remaining project is finding a solution to the hard armrests. I had an idea about that - since the center console has a leather top, I could get some either real or fake black leather, and cover a small piece of wood cut to the shape of the armrest. Add some padding (something supportive but not too soft - maybe a thick mouse pad) and then staple or hot glue the cover in place. Use some hook and loop fasteners to attach it to the door,, and i'm all set

Old 05-17-2013, 08:17 AM
New owner--leg pain from gas pedal

I am a brand new Fit owner and I am having the same problem as listed here-- the angle of the gas pedal is causing a lot of pain when I drive it, no matter how I change the seat length, my foot --etc., Wondering if anyone has come up with an easy solution. I just bought this car and really like it, but I find myself dreading to drive it now, because of this issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Originally Posted by fittington
So about a month ago I finally got a Honda Fit (2010 base model). I absolutely love it so far except for the gas pedal. It seems to be giving me a sort of carpal tunnel problem in my ankle/shin area. I think it's because either the pedal is stiffer than I am used to or at a different angle then I am used to. I should also mention that my commute is currently about 80 miles a day, which definitely does not help matters. The base model does not have cruise control but I am thinking of having Classic Soft Trim ( Classic Soft Trim ) add it. (Anyone use them for this?)

This past week I have been putting my foot at more of an angle while hitting the gas and bringing my foot to the floor more to rest. This seems to be helping a bit. I'm guessing also after a while my foot muscles will get use to the feel. Perhaps the gas pedal will break-in after a while and get looser?

Are there other Fit (or Honda) owners out there who have noticed this problem? If so, what things you have done to alleviate it?

Old 05-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Always been a problem in the Fit. The GE's a bit better off with the adjustable steering wheel. Seems as though if we keep out leg straight and pivot off the heel of the foot it's not so bad.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Hey morning light, I am the original poster and I can tell you something encouraging. While I had a lot of problems in the beginning, my foot got used to the gas pedal and now it never gives me problems. Also I think I was more susceptible to issues as I have some ankle issues including a bone spur in the front. Hang in there while your foot gets used to it.

Originally Posted by morning light
I am a brand new Fit owner and I am having the same problem as listed here-- the angle of the gas pedal is causing a lot of pain when I drive it, no matter how I change the seat length, my foot --etc., Wondering if anyone has come up with an easy solution. I just bought this car and really like it, but I find myself dreading to drive it now, because of this issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Old 05-18-2013, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
Couldn't get used to it so I added .5 inch nut under front seat track(new bolt), added 2 inches of foam under seat covers, added a spring, use the cruise control whenever it is safe. Once the pedal was comfortable I noticed the left foot dead pedal was wrong added an inch thick board and it almost solved it.
Armrest used gel on door from computer wrist mat, with heat of vehicle didn't trust velcro so installed with hidden snaps under and in front of it in the well.
Armrest in center, made it wide enough to use by passenger and used foam and naugahyde to cover.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
I found the angle and drive by wire pedal a little hard to get used to at first as well as me always being "jerky" at take off. I just wasn't used to the smoothness of the pedal so I put my heel further up the pedal (to be at lesser of an angle) and it's much better.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:11 PM
I dont get some of you guys

Im long legged and 6 feet tall.

This Fit was amazingly comfortable on my trips from texas to wisconsin and back.

The trip up I was in my car for over 30 hours since I was driving through a blizzard and had a ton of detours around closed sections of roads.

Maybe being in the military has simply allowed me to skip over such minor complaints.

I think the fit is super comfortable and peppy for its price and purpose.

Plus the damn thing holds more luggage then any cheap budget SUV could ever do.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:07 PM
Gas Pedal

I know this is an older post, but I am a new owner as well. 2008, base model, 5 speed. The issue is most pronounced on this car because of the clutch. I can get the seat back far enough to straighten out my right leg and have a long-arm's reach to the steering wheel, (racer style!). But this puts my left leg at full-extension or beyond for the clutch, making for a tired left leg. So the best solution would be to leave the seat where it belongs for steering and clutch, but move the gas pedal mount or arm farther forward. Other people responding with mods or position changes might either have a CVT, adjustable column or cruise control to help. For those posting that this is "No big deal"... it is. And especially frustrating in a car so well designed otherwise. It's like the factory test drivers were hired from Dae Woo or something, and overlooked the poor engineering.