General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage: Synthetic vs. Dino Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:03 AM
Mileage: Synthetic vs. Dino Oil

After starting a thread on Mileage with Regular vs. Premium gasoline as the major topic. There has been considerable interest in a new thread concentrating on the benefits vs. additional cost of synthetic oil over conventional motor oil.

Having committed to changing to synthetic from dino in my 2010 Sport 5 speed, I would like to invite all of the oil experts to share their experiences and hopefully statistics.

2010, Taffeta White
Sport, 5-speed

Old 07-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Honda does not recommend synthetic oil for the FIT. From my research I've learned that with a new engine it is best to allow the engine to break in with dino for approx 10000miles before switching to syn. This is from the oil research I've done. Talking to my Honda service tech he says go two oil changes then switch if I want, however stick to the 5W20 grade.

I might very well switch to a 0W20 for easy winter starts but I'm not sure of the availability of that grade syn. This is all new to me - known about syn oil for years but really never considered or understood why I would want to do that.

Well this is the 21st Century so why not get with it.

I also plan on following the MM to determine when I service the car. Right now I'm at 60% oil life and 5500miles. PHEW!! I'm a believer so I'm going with it, however, after the second oil change I am going with synthetic. Right now MobileOne looks good, but I'm open on that. I do believe that with these extended oil change intervals synthetic will be a good choice in the long run - 200K. So 5% of the engine life is spent breaking in with dino, then the rest is spent smoothly spinning along.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
My FIT has 8,500+ miles and the Oil Life is at 30%. It might get to 10,000 miles before I get the first oil change.

I will switch to 5W-20 Royal Synthetic Motor Oil after that.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
I have 3300 mile at 70 percent mm and plan on getting my free oil change around 6000. I like Mobil 1, but with the new oil coming out in Oct. I might just stay with dino. I have to wait until I learn more about the new oil before I make up my mind.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:48 PM
I developed my automotive habits long before there was ever any synthetic oils. Since I have never (key word being never) had a problem with an engine in any car, motorcycle or boat I've owned I can't see any reason not to continue using dyno oil.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:54 PM
When to change to synthetic

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Honda does not recommend synthetic oil for the FIT. From my research I've learned that with a new engine it is best to allow the engine to break in with dino for approx 10000miles before switching to syn. This is from the oil research I've done. Talking to my Honda service tech he says go two oil changes then switch if I want, however stick to the 5W20 grade.

I might very well switch to a 0W20 for easy winter starts but I'm not sure of the availability of that grade syn. This is all new to me - known about syn oil for years but really never considered or understood why I would want to do that.

Well this is the 21st Century so why not get with it.

I also plan on following the MM to determine when I service the car. Right now I'm at 60% oil life and 5500miles. PHEW!! I'm a believer so I'm going with it, however, after the second oil change I am going with synthetic. Right now MobileOne looks good, but I'm open on that. I do believe that with these extended oil change intervals synthetic will be a good choice in the long run - 200K. So 5% of the engine life is spent breaking in with dino, then the rest is spent smoothly spinning along.
I am glad to hear that some of the time honored adages like 'make sure that the rings are well seated before you change' to synthetic or put in any special (read Slick 50) additives, still hold true.

My father says he first started using synthetic oil in the early 70's before Mobil 1. The military used to allow flight crew members to take used jet engine oil (the original purpose of the synthetic oil) and recycle it into their auto engines. Even though it was probably not the right grade, he swears that it helped his 60's era Vette make it to 200K miles.

As for me with 20K miles on my 2010 Fit, It looks like I can safely change right away. I really want to see if it improves mileage. I expect it to do so, but even if it only extends engine life by 50%, it will be worth it.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
I started scooping the oil straight out of the gulf and putting that into my car. Aside from the random jellyfish and seashells it's been working like a dream!

Someone had to make an oil spill joke, right?

Honestly, I use Castrol GTX 5W20. My dad always used Castrol and his cars always last well over the 100,000 mile mark. My first Nissan was pushing 300,000 miles and my Saturn was at 110,000 after about 4 years of driving the hell out of it. I never had any issues stemming from the oil. (A blown clutch in both but that was my fault.)

I think the main thing is to change it when it's time to change it. I listen to the oil life indicator and change it at 10%.

Last edited by Flyin172s; 07-11-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: because I always spell check AFTER posting..lol
Old 07-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
been using Mobil1 5w20 on both my Fit's from the first oil change... which i think came after like 6k miles or something. no issue.

for me if i use dino i change it within 5k miles. for synthetic take it 10k/1yr or when the Fit says its 0% oil life left. last time i went under -500 miles or something. hahaha.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Using Mobil 1

Originally Posted by kenchan
been using Mobil1 5w20 on both my Fit's from the first oil change... which i think came after like 6k miles or something. no issue.

for me if i use dino i change it within 5k miles. for synthetic take it 10k/1yr or when the Fit says its 0% oil life left. last time i went under -500 miles or something. hahaha.

Did you notice any improvement in mileage when you went to Moboil 1?

Old 07-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by GW Fit
I am glad to hear that some of the time honored adages like 'make sure that the rings are well seated before you change' to synthetic or put in any special (read Slick 50) additives, still hold true.

My father says he first started using synthetic oil in the early 70's before Mobil 1. The military used to allow flight crew members to take used jet engine oil (the original purpose of the synthetic oil) and recycle it into their auto engines. Even though it was probably not the right grade, he swears that it helped his 60's era Vette make it to 200K miles.

As for me with 20K miles on my 2010 Fit, It looks like I can safely change right away. I really want to see if it improves mileage. I expect it to do so, but even if it only extends engine life by 50%, it will be worth it.
The upper tier of oil producers have excellent products.
There are also some excellent www's.
Just need to understand the marketing a bit - stay technical. Documented quality tests-PDF

Corvette's loved that oil back then. I was putting it in a 67 Beetle on-base motor pool. DYI days. Bays would open and you could pull your ride in and do a brake job.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
Changed my '07 to Castrol synth 5W-20 on the first oil change (about 6.5K miles 15% on MM). About to turn over 90K miles. On the last change I switched to Quaker State synth. No problems or oil consumption. Always follow the MM, which gives me about 6.5K on oil changes (I rev the piss out of my Fit.)

Old 07-12-2010, 02:51 AM
I am only using dino man. I don't use synthetic.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by spreadhead
Changed my '07 to Castrol synth 5W-20 on the first oil change (about 6.5K miles 15% on MM). About to turn over 90K miles. On the last change I switched to Quaker State synth. No problems or oil consumption. Always follow the MM, which gives me about 6.5K on oil changes (I rev the piss out of my Fit.)
Has the oil change mileage stabilized or has it always been 6.5K?

EDIT: How about the stick level between changes?

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 07-12-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by jagass
I am only using dino man. I don't use synthetic.
What's your ride/mileage?

I've thought of this as well. Do what Honda recommends. 200K engine... follow the book. Spec it.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Did you notice any improvement in mileage when you went to Moboil 1?
not that im aware of. i only use it because i use M1 on all my cars and i dont like changing oil more requently than the minimum recommendation by the manufacturer so use the locally available best...

Old 07-12-2010, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member

Mobil Jet, and all other mil-spec turbine oils are ester-based, nothing even close to the PAO chemistry of Amsoil, Mobil One, Royal Purple, etc. The closest thing you can buy that is actually formulated for internal combustion engines is Redline. The advantages of esters are extreme temperature resistance and polararity (molecules cling to metal). PAO is non-polar, it's main disadvantage. Disadvantages to esters are high cost and poor ability to handle moisture. Gas turbine engines have the oil lubricated parts well sealed from the outside world, while our engines see combustion blowby and are vented to the intake. Turbine oils have no detergents/dispersants for that reason. Redline has the additives. Because it was free, that 'Vette probably saw frequent changes of turbine oil to get rid of contaminants, but the lubrication performance was specatacular compared to Havoline straight 30 that was GM's spec oil back then.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Has the oil change mileage stabilized or has it always been 6.5K?

EDIT: How about the stick level between changes?
Always 6.5 to 7K every time. The dip stick level is always still full when I change oil. That's why I stated "no problems or oil consumption" in my original post.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by spreadhead
Always 6.5 to 7K every time. The dip stick level is always still full when I change oil. That's why I stated "no problems or oil consumption" in my original post.
Do you recall whether your first oil change was later than your recent experience. My first was 9,000 miles and my last two have been more like 7,500 miles.

2010 Taffeta White
5spd Sport

Old 07-12-2010, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
I've used both Royal Purple (fully synthetic) and FK/Massimo Super SS-X (mineral) - so far no substantial difference in terms of fuel economy. Maybe it's better for RP by about 0.5 km/L at best.

I'm already at 5000 km on the FK/Massimo oil and I'm switching back to Royal Purple pretty soon.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Type 100
I've used both Royal Purple (fully synthetic) and FK/Massimo Super SS-X (mineral) - so far no substantial difference in terms of fuel economy. Maybe it's better for RP by about 0.5 km/L at best.

I'm already at 5000 km on the FK/Massimo oil and I'm switching back to Royal Purple pretty soon.
I have had two oil changes by Honda with their dino oil and Fram Oil Filters painted Honda blue. My next change is going to be to Castrol full synthetic 5w-20 with a Pure One oil filter. I hope to see a minor improvement in mileage, but more importantly an increase in engine life. As I am driving my Fit about 30K miles per year, it should not take a long time to find out.

2010 Taffeta White
5spd, Sport

Quick Reply: Mileage: Synthetic vs. Dino Oil