General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Foul Odor When Driving Uphill

Old 07-21-2010, 09:07 AM
I have to say, some of the comments on this thread are amusing at best but going back to the oil level comment, I took a look at my dipstick, and it is about the second hole on the bottom, so I'm guessing I'm good. I've had 3 oil changes so far, the first one at 5,000 miles was regular, the second and third have been synthetic. I took a photo but it looks like I have to link and have nowhere to upload it

Old 07-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Roo
Originally Posted by HOLY FIT!!
i feel like while holding an M16 and wanting to commit suicide, the last thing id reach for is a bottle of hoppes...but to each their own, suppose its a bit less messy, on a higher note, bananas or not, the odor still makes my gf complain for about an hour and leave the room....then again i feel the same way when she uses nail polish and remover...

sorry for the hoppes gun oil thread jack if you like bananas you could splash some under your seats to mask the smell
hush up you big sissy baby!!! you LOVE it when i paint my nails, heck, you even paint my toes for me sometimes

Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by NoahInBoston
I have to say, some of the comments on this thread are amusing at best but going back to the oil level comment, I took a look at my dipstick, and it is about the second hole on the bottom, so I'm guessing I'm good. I've had 3 oil changes so far, the first one at 5,000 miles was regular, the second and third have been synthetic. I took a photo but it looks like I have to link and have nowhere to upload it
If nothing else, this forum is colorful. The oil level should be near the top mark on the stick. If you're near the bottom mark you should add oil. Now I'm not sure the amount of oil needed on a FIT to take it from the bottom mark to the top so don't over-fill it, but I would suggest adding a bit to bring it up. It might need close to a quart, however, remember top is up - bottom down when the stick is in place. I'm dyslexic so I mention this_

I really don't think this is the source of the stink though but oil level is important to the FIT for other reasons.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the two "holes" on the bottom of the dipstick are the "low and high" indicators, correct? So if my oil level is above the second hole from the bottom, perhaps I have too much oil?

Old 07-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Holding the stick with the handle ^up^ you see two holes at the other end. They mark the proper the oil level. The oil should be between those marks. If the engine oil is over filled it will be above the upper mark. If so, how much above that mark is it?

Old 07-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the two "holes" on the bottom of the dipstick are the "low and high" indicators, correct? So if my oil level is above the second hole from the bottom, perhaps I have too much oil?
correct!!!!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Roo
hush up you big sissy baby!!! you LOVE it when i paint my nails, heck, you even paint my toes for me sometimes
busted.....

WOMAN! im cleaning my firearms tonight! haha

Old 07-21-2010, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
the car in front of you farted!

on a more serious note, it might be your cabin air filter - change it out you can either do a DIY or buy an oem one.

make sure when you turn your car off a few miles before you park it, that the AC is no longer on, and sometimes at night just open the windows and blast the heater to kill everything in the system.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Check out this photo (the dipstick is pointing down towards the ground.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:44 PM
OH WOW! no wonder youre burning oil!!!!! oil change asap, and only put in 3.8 qts!
judging by that stick, you have close to two quarts more than you should, which is WAY over.

Last edited by HOLY FIT!!; 07-21-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Roo
Originally Posted by HOLY FIT!!
busted.....

WOMAN! im cleaning my firearms tonight! haha
do it in the living room :]

Old 07-21-2010, 02:16 PM
HOLY FIT!!! :: thanks for the input. Lesson learned as well --- this most recent oil change in May, I got done at NTB with a coupon. Sigh. Prior to that, I had always gone to the Honda mechanic down the street or the dealership. I just called NTB and they said they would dump the oil tonight for free. Hopefully this is the fix!!

Old 07-21-2010, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Good luck man...that sucks. They better change it the next 5 times for free!

Old 07-21-2010, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
HOLY FIT!!! :: thanks for the input. Lesson learned as well --- this most recent oil change in May, I got done at NTB with a coupon. Sigh. Prior to that, I had always gone to the Honda mechanic down the street or the dealership. I just called NTB and they said they would dump the oil tonight for free. Hopefully this is the fix!!
these guys are huge idiots. you should call them and get them to give you some kind of compensation.. don't they look it up before they fill it? they probably put like 5 qts in... this is exactly why i do this stuff myself.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Should I get a new filter as well all together? The current oil situation has been in place since the end of May so almost 2 months now.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:19 PM
There isn't the potential for any long term damage as a result of this is there?

Old 07-21-2010, 02:20 PM
NoahInBoston Drain it out - avoid driving with that much oil at all cost - fill as HOLY suggests, and always check the level after an oil change.
Is there signs of oil leakage, look under the engine.
Good chance of blowing seals w/ an over fill like that.

My rule has always been to change the oil on a warm engine, and when done keep it shy of the full mark.

A hot engine expands the oil and can push it over the mark. Haven't had enough experience w/ the FIT yet, but that is my rule-of-thumb.

Now, HOLY/ROO - take it to the living room_

Old 07-21-2010, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
There isn't the potential for any long term damage as a result of this is there?
got no idea - but too much of a good thing sometimes is a bad thing, change out the filter as well. the oil looks kinda dirty too..

Old 07-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
NoahInBoston Drain it out - avoid driving with that much oil at all cost - fill as HOLY suggests, and always check the level after an oil change.
Is there signs of oil leakage, look under the engine.
Good chance of blowing seals w/ an over fill like that.

My rule has always been to change the oil on a warm engine, and when done keep it shy of the full mark.

A hot engine expands the oil and can push it over the mark. Haven't had enough experience w/ the FIT yet, but that is my rule-of-thumb.

Now, HOLY/ROO - take it to the living room_
Agreed, you CAN do some damage with an over fill like that, thats exactly why theres a certain number for oil change capacity that honda specifies... thats what happens at budget shops like NTB,jiffy lube etc... complacent mechanics who do 30-40 oil changes a day, see that the average 4 cyl car takes 4-5 qaurts,and that is a damn shame, i wouldnt be suprised if they dumped 5w-30 in it as well, seeing as thats what most hondas take. i would say not only should they fix it for free, but should refund you for what you had paid for them to do it in the first place....as im sure demanding free oil changes would only make you worry if they are doing it correctly next time.

and trust me, with the possibility for damage that they could have caused your car, i gaurantee if youre stern with them and go in there well informed, they will bend over backwards to make sure that us sue happy americans wont take a bite out of them.

all else fails, run into the the shop with the 5 quarts of oil they put in your car and refund it all over their floor.

now to the living room!

Old 07-21-2010, 02:39 PM
I just really hope these idiots at NTB didn't mess up my car in the long term... I've only driven about 1,500 miles since the oil change but still... extremely aggrivating.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Foul Odor When Driving Uphill