General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

How do you lock your car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Question How do you lock your car?

I usually walk away from my car without looking and press the lock button twice until the car honks. My wife finds this annoying and instead stands there, presses the lock button once and watches the car lights flash.

Not a big deal, but I find myself on the way to the door of my destination with the sound cue from the horn rather than staring at my car in the parking lot.

Sorry if the honk annoys my wife or other people in the parking lot, it is convenient for me.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
Yup, I wait for the audible honk as well.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:19 AM
No need for the double click, but I do it most every time. I like the meep cause now I have a real horn and sort of miss that pitiful sound - NOT.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:31 AM
I don't like drawing attention to it thanks to all the stolen rim threads on here so I just do the single flash. Not that it helps anything but my paranoia, it's not like someone's gonna say "Hey, that meep was the most pitiful horn ever! I bet it was a fit, lets go get the rims..."

Just remember to exercise the actual key lock every once in a while as well. If it freezes up, well if you drive a sport you only have ONE! Then you're a slave to your battery being charged.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:37 AM
I do the double tap as well. My wife too thinks the honk is annoying but oh well. Its my car anyways. lol

Old 09-24-2010, 10:46 AM
double tap because sometimes i figure car might miss the transmitter. my other cars key is sorta low on battery so i triple tap

Old 09-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by polaski
Just remember to exercise the actual key lock every once in a while as well. If it freezes up, well if you drive a sport you only have ONE! Then you're a slave to your battery being charged.
Good tip, I really wasn't even thinking about that, but should have. My 96 Deville suffered from that affliction because I always used the fob - on my 89 Brougham I ended up needing to go through the passenger door to get in, it didn't even have electric door locks - the dang lock rod ends were plastic and simply failed. I would go and open the door for my gf and then slide in first. Very Polite, huh?

Old 09-24-2010, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
Usually I start with this:

Followed by:

And last by this:

Car is safe.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
I always hit the lock button on the door as I am getting out. Then most times to make sure I hit fob once. I hate the meep.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
I work swing shift so I arrive at home usually late at night.

It's entirely my fault, but I'm too paranoid. I need the "beep" feedback. It's like The Fit telling me it's locked...if I don't hear it, even if I've seen the lights flash and the dome light go out, and even if it's totally unnecessary? I still find myself 10 minutes later wondering if I "locked" The Fit.

But I'm trying to train myself to trust the flash...and only hit it once. Because at Midnight or later, I'm sure I'm disturbing some of my neighbors. I've got to learn to trust the single press.......

Give me some time...I think I'm working towards being a Non-Beep locker.....

PS.

Sorta related, but for many years I owned a vehicle with a self arming locking alarm system. Once you stopped and removed the keys and opened and closed the drivers door it would start a counter and if nothing happened...IE a door opened or otherwise it would self arm.

I actually liked that, because it never left me with the paranoia of "Did I remember to lock the vehicle"...that's why I think I'm extra paranoid with The Fit. If I don't remember locking it...I'm not sure it's locked.

Last edited by fitchet; 09-24-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:35 PM
I double-tap for a honk once I'm far enough away that nobody will associate me with the embarrassing, emasculated toot that the Fit so cheerfully chirps.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Red face 2hrs to lock my car down.

I think B-Blue Fit has the rest of us beat. LOL I thought you were from LA or N.Y.C. Anyway that's funny!

Old 09-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Blackbeard
I usually walk away from my car without looking and press the lock button twice until the car honks. My wife finds this annoying and instead stands there, presses the lock button once and watches the car lights flash.

Not a big deal, but I find myself on the way to the door of my destination with the sound cue from the horn rather than staring at my car in the parking lot.

Sorry if the honk annoys my wife or other people in the parking lot, it is convenient for me.
My brother and my father do the same thing, it annoys the shit out of me

Old 09-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i hit the button and hear my locks making that clunk sound and that's good for me.

unless ofcourse there's a stupid neighbor with her stupid dog near by i just hit the PANIC button for kicks.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:21 PM
I press the lock button over and over to annoy my gf! meep meep meep meep

Old 09-24-2010, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
I also press the lock button twice.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
The cdm fit DX has manual door locks. They obviously made this to encourage people to get the LX, because we still have the power mirrors and windows on the DX.
On older cars the lock buttons were placed so that from the driver seat we can reach them all pretty easily, but on the fit and other modern cars, they don't care anymore about these details since they want to sell us the power door locks.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I have never owned a car with power locks until the Fit so I enjoy hitting the button twice and hearing the meep! I normally shut the door and walk off and hit the button. As long as I hear the horn and heard the clunk I know that the car is locked up. I also keep my car keys at my bedside even though the car is in the garage - if anyone is outside messing around hitting the panic button is not what they would want to hear.

Cat

Old 09-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Another vote for the meep here.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
meep or no meep

Yes....the meep can be annoying. I single click while close to the car, and then try the door...at least I know it is locked.

But.....in an area that I do not trust....like the Walmart parking lot....I always double click for the meep.

But.....when leaving the car at the airport.....I still have a 'club', which I put on the steering wheel. It may not do much for prof crooks, but it bugs the amateur crook a lot.

Quick Reply: How do you lock your car?