General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Changed Transmission Fluid -- ATF Z-1 and New Synthetic DW-1 Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Changed Transmission Fluid -- ATF Z-1 and New Synthetic DW-1 Comparison

Hey All,

It has came time for me to do my first transmission fluid change in my GE8 (27.5K miles) and decided to pickup some of the new synthetic ATF DW-1 transmission fluid to use.

Reason for the sooner maintenance than the recommended 60K is due to that I have always changed my Honda ATF Z-1 transmission fluid every 20k in my 94 accord and it is always ready to be changed at that interval. My accord transmission has 300k on it now and works flawlessly.
I just think that the ATF Z-1 breaks down sooner rather than later. Proof is in the pictures.

First here is the magnet on my transmission plug after 27.5k miles (90% highway):
This is driving fairly conservative. 110 miles a day on the interstate (occasional get up and go )

Here is a comparison of transmission fluids
My used ATF Z-1, New ATF Z-1, and the New ATF DW-1 Synthetic:

Close up of the fluids:

Paper comparison:

Short video of the coloring and consistency for all the fluids:
YouTube - Comparison of Used ATF Z-1, New ATF Z-1, and New ATF DW-1 Synthetic Transmission Fluid

I will change the GE8's transmission fluid in another 20-25K miles and see how well the DW-1 fluid holds up.

Overall shifting is tighter and seems quicker.
I'm glad I didn't wait until 60K miles, who knows how dark the fluid would have been then.

BTW- Depending on your nearest dealership it may be cheaper to buy the DW-1 online and have it shipped.
My dealer wanted 13.00 a quart ( I said fuck you to them)
With shipping I paid 8.00 a quart from Honda and Acura Accessories dot com - Genuine Factory Honda and Acura Accessories at discount prices. when I bought 6 quarts

On another note in case you are interested:
My last oil change 7K miles ago, I added a magnetic oil drain plug.
Here is the plug of the recent oil change I did at the same time I did the transmission fluid.

Not too bad

Later,

Clay

Old 01-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
interesting.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:11 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting indeed. If your ATF looked like that with mostly easy driving I'd hate to have seen mine with 3k more miles on it after the all spirited runs I've taken.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Hootie
Interesting indeed. If your ATF looked like that with mostly easy driving I'd hate to have seen mine with 3k more miles on it after the all spirited runs I've taken.
I was a bit surprised myself but also not much since I have been used to changing Z-1 every 20k in my accord and it usually has the same coloring.

I hope it is just a new transmission thing and it just beat up the fluid a bit more in the beginning

I know that Honda fluid makes it shift like it is supposed to but the Z-1 fluid definitely is not the long lasting type.
I once used some B&M Trick Shift fluid in my accord about 10 years ago and it made it shift so hard I thought it would eventually wear it out a whole lot faster, I took it out after 1K miles
As for the new synthetic DW-1, I will be tickled if it has a resemblance of redness to it after 20-25k miles. Then I know that it is engineered a bit better.

If I want to get 300-500K out of my Fit, I don't have an issue with keeping to my usual fluid changes at 20-25K miles for Honda transmissions ( piece of mind )

I will do more spirited driving in the Fit once it crosses the 40-50K mark, it seems that Hondas don't hit their prime until about then. I guess a "slow" break in gives it such a long strong life (under regular maintenance)

Clay

Old 01-07-2011, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
where did you get the magnetic oil plug? I have a 09 fit spt

Old 01-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by cg50
where did you get the magnetic oil plug? I have a 09 fit spt
You could probably find them on fleabay but I bought mine from Gold Plug. They are pretty well known.

Automotive Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs Car Truck Ford Chevy Nissan Toyota Honda Plug

All Honda drain plugs are the same.

Clay

Old 01-08-2011, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info Clay.

I was just about to drain and refill the trans fluid in my 09 Fit next week since I'm nearing 30K miles.

Was going to get the z1 since I wasn't even aware of the DW-1.

Is it 100% confirmed yet that it's backward compatible with the z1?

Also, did you end up using 2.5 quarts or 3 during your drain and fill?

Thanks very much for the great info and all the detailed pics/ videos.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Please post the mpg gain after you get some miles on it. I am surprised how much metal/sludge was on the plug.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Shora
Thanks for the info Clay.

Is it 100% confirmed yet that it's backward compatible with the z1?
Yes - This is from Handa Accessories aka Carmichael Honda - NorCal

Also, did you end up using 2.5 quarts or 3 during your drain and fill?
After I drained it, I measured approx. 2.75 quarts so I replaced with the same amount. After I test drove it around for 20 min. I set on level ground with ebrake on and in neutral to see fluid level.
I ended up adding approx. .25-.50 qt more to bring it up to the middle area of the "Hot" mark.

Thanks very much for the great info and all the detailed pics/ videos.
You welcome, It is that perfectionist part of me

Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Please post the mpg gain after you get some miles on it. I am surprised how much metal/sludge was on the plug.
Sure thing, this past tank of gas, I happened to fill up with BP 93 to see if it helps out with other aspects of car per other forums threads going on (ie. MPG, Performance, general running)
I ended up getting a hand calculated 41mpg for about 95% highway 70mph avg - 50 degree fahrenheit avg.
Which for winter blend ( if this station even has it) is pretty good.
I will run about 3-5 more tanks of BP 93 to see what it averages out too and then maybe switch to 87 and see how the car reacts.

Later,

Clay

Old 01-08-2011, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by naMtiF

Sure thing, this past tank of gas, I happened to fill up with BP 93 to see if it helps out with other aspects of car per other forums threads going on (ie. MPG, Performance, general running)
I ended up getting a hand calculated 41mpg for about 95% highway 70mph avg - 50 degree fahrenheit avg.
I will run about 3-5 more tanks of BP 93 to see what it averages out too and then maybe switch to 87 and see how the car reacts.

Later,

Clay
Thats really good mpg. Thats what I get in the summer with 50/50 driving. I figure you will gain 1 mpg. Let us know.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
So it sounds like you used about 3 quarts. I wonder if it's taking so much fluid because it's semi syn and thinner?

Honestly, I'm kinda afraid of over filling transmission fluid.

Later,

Clay

Old 01-09-2011, 02:11 AM
So it sounds like you used about 3 quarts. I wonder if it's taking so much fluid because it's semi syn and thinner?

Honestly, I'm kinda afraid of over filling transmission fluid.

If you know your transmission is perfectly filled with fluid before you change it.
Then whatever you drain out into your drain pan, just measure it in a milk jug that you can mark with qt. lines prior or an old empty 5qt oil jug ( thats what I used ).

You should be safe with 3qt. though even if you do not measure it.

Clay

Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
I usually use the trusty oil drain pan to catch most, if not all, fluids that I change in my cars.

I know that I'm making it a bigger issue than it really is and will most likely use your empty milk jug suggestion.

Do you happen to know if Honda lists the amount of fluid that needs to be replaced with a drain/ refill of the transmission?

Thanks a lot and I'll take some pics of my used transmission fluid as well since my 09 is at just under 30K miles too with 85-90% highway miles.

If you know your transmission is perfectly filled with fluid before you change it.
Then whatever you drain out into your drain pan, just measure it in a milk jug that you can mark with qt. lines prior or an old empty 5qt oil jug ( thats what I used ).

Clay

Old 01-16-2011, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member

Clay
Got her done this morning. It took just about 3 qts.

Thanks again for the informative thread.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post952282

Old 01-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Got her done this morning. It took just about 3 qts.

Thanks again for the informative thread.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post952282

Glad to help out.

Good job on more "data points" for transmission fluid color at XX miles

I really hope the new fluid holds up better than the older Z-1.
I am going to take samples every 5K miles from my transmission to see the state of change as I rack up more miles.

Clay

Old 01-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Glad to help out.

Good job on more "data points" for transmission fluid color at XX miles

I really hope the new fluid holds up better than the older Z-1.
I am going to take samples every 5K miles from my transmission to see the state of change as I rack up more miles.

Clay
Very nice of you to keep our FIT community informed of the state of deterioration (if any) of transmission fluid samples very 5K miles. The color change to be revealed by photographs of the sample fluids at various intervals will not lie - I think Honda will consider the evidence if there is a need to present a case to them for any abnormal excessive deterioration of transmission fluids in A/T FITs....

I am also wondering how more mountainous driving will affect the rate of color change as implied from the 2010 owners manual

Old 01-20-2011, 10:41 PM
I usually use the trusty oil drain pan to catch most, if not all, fluids that I change in my cars.

I know that I'm making it a bigger issue than it really is and will most likely use your empty milk jug suggestion.

Do you happen to know if Honda lists the amount of fluid that needs to be replaced with a drain/ refill of the transmission?

Thanks a lot and I'll take some pics of my used transmission fluid as well since my 09 is at just under 30K miles too with 85-90% highway miles.

Book says to use 2.6 US QT when you do a change. I am just now learing a lot about being car savy. The total fluid capacity is listed at 6.18 US QT. I know the math equals out to changing less than half the actual fluid. Why is that?

Levi

Old 01-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Sometime you will get 2.6 qts sometime more depends on how you have the car jacked up and the temperature of the fluid.

I personally jack up my car so the drain plug is at the lowest possible point and also change it when the fluid is pretty hot. It allows it to flow out more.

So YMMV when doing fluid changes. You can either measure out exactly what was removed and put the same amount back in or start with a minimum of 2.5 qts back in the transmission.
Make sure it is level as you can get it, start car, cycle though gears, check fluid ( add more if needed), drive around for 5-10 minutes, check fluid again, top off as needed to get it to the HOT mark. Always make sure car is running while checking the level.

Later,

Clay

Old 01-21-2011, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
Did you change the transmission filter?

Old 01-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by jondotcom
Did you change the transmission filter?

No I did not do it for the Fit's first transmission fluid change. I will do it the next one.

I also want to cut it open and see what if anything is captured by it.

Clay

Quick Reply: Changed Transmission Fluid -- ATF Z-1 and New Synthetic DW-1 Comparison