General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

On the fence...need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:20 PM
On the fence...need opinions

I've finally decided that it's time for a new/newer vehicle. I"m looking at the base model 2011 fit (or 2010 maybe) or a Civic Sedan (2010 or 2011). If I got the sport model of the Fit I wouldn't know what to do with those paddle shifters since i have no clue how to drive a standard, so why pay for them.

I think my main concern for the Fit is how it performs on hills (I have that dreaded feeling I'll be the one that gets stuck going up a hill) and the ground clearance; and one person told me her son has one and got stuck teetering on a speed bump.

Does anyone have the base model AT Fit that can tell me what they like/don't like? I just plan on having this vehicle for at least 5 years (the time I'll be paying on it), so I want something that requires little repairs and something I do not have to really worry about. I will probably take it on a few long road trips here or there are well (as most of my family lives in Pennsylvania---this is where the hill conundrum comes into play). And I live in Texas, so if there are any doubts about the A/C I need to know, cause that just would not be good here!

Any advice would be great! You can't trust the dealers cause they'll tell you anything you want to hear to make the sale, so I'm turning to y'all.

Thanks!!!

Old 03-10-2011, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome, good to see someone else from Fort Worth.

Both the Fit and the Civic are great cars and each have their own strengths. It basically boils down to whether you think you will or won't need the space in the Fit (you probably will at some point).

I think you would be fine with the base model as you don't seem to be interested in performance or modding (yet). I think you will be surprised with how the Fit handles. It's got enough power for hills with no problems and it's handling is top notch. If you're getting a base, speed bumps are far from your worries as it won't have the underbody kit. Even some lowered Sports have no problems with speed bumps.

The A/C is good in the Fit, even during the summer. It will struggle though if you're parked or at a standstill for a long period of time with this Texas heat. Definitely test drive both before you make a decision, good luck.

Last edited by Vanct; 03-10-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 PM
To my mind, the Fit's AC is a bit wimpy, especially when stopped. I would definitely plan on getting a tinting done if you get the fit. I'd also be sure to try the seat for comfort. I find that it gets a bit uncomfortable after ~2 hours of driving; though seat comfort is a very personal thing.

I wouldn't worry about speed bumps unless you lower the fit. If there's a speed bump high enough to block the fit, it'll block a lot of vehicles. I also wouldn't worry about getting up the hills. The engine will have to work to do it and maintain speed, but it certainly can easy get up any paved road.