General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Forum Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation Forum Behavior

Starting an open discussion on forum behavior and invite all to contribute.

One thing I've noticed lately is the tendency for threads to drift way off topic. Since I've been on board it's happened and often it can lead to a valuable discussion, sometimes not

Another is how personal threads that start out as serious concerns or comments become.

The sharing of personal experiences is always a way of learning and often has importance beyond the topic.

--------------

So what do y'all think? Many folks simply view this forum and possibly this will prompt registration to post some feed back.

Don't forget to set the clocks and change the batteries this weekend.

K_C_

Old 03-11-2011, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
I don't mind the off topic strays too much but there should be a limit to how far it goes. Personal experiences are fine if it relates to the topic.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
Okay, I plead guilty... Shave my head and send me back to Vietnam, just let me take my car.. They have cheap gas and good roads there now I hear.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
I think interestingly your original post illuminates both the strength and weakness of much of internet discussion.

You start with a first sentence inviting an open discussion of forum behavior...follow by questioning topic drift...then end ironically with a update on Daylight Saving Time...

Honestly? In all forums, Automotive, Sports..whatever..I don't mind a degree of topic drift...I don't mind disagreement and debate even to a venemous level.

It's conversation, unsolicitated and easily ignored if wished.

Often time a thread is like standing around a water cooler, shooting the breeze. You can start on a specific topic...but 5 minutes later you've gone from discussing Brake Linings to The Superbowl...

The problem is forum managment. On some topics? I think drift, debate absolutely fine. On some more imperative informational threads? Then I think they should be posted as sticky, or with the active warning that they are for information only...then moderators need to delete posts that appear that are non-informational.

But in general? You don't want to be too Draconian. I'd rather error on the side of promoting free speech than error on the side of censorship.

It's like browsing in a book store...sometimes it's not the book you were actively looking for, that becomes the most informative or the best book you've read, sometimes you gain a lot from drifting into area's and looking at ideas you weren't even originally looking for...I'd hesitate to stifle that too much...

Old 03-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal

One thing I've noticed lately is the tendency for threads to drift way off topic. Since I've been on board it's happened and often it can lead to a valuable discussion, sometimes not
IMO, thread drift is ok when the thread's starting post has been completely address already. That said, purely informative posts might should be split into info and discussion.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
It's like browsing in a book store...sometimes it's not the book you were actively looking for, that becomes the most informative or the best book you've read, sometimes you gain a lot from drifting into area's and looking at ideas you weren't even originally looking for...I'd hesitate to stifle that too much...
^this

I cannot express how often I start reading a thread about one topic then by the end of the thread I've read 3 or 4 separate topics which have helped me think of endless ideas to get my fit looking and running well!

This site is an amazing resource as is. Yes, threads seem to go a little more off topic nowadays, but overall I dont see many problems on this site. I think the source for all this "thread drift" as ya'll have dubbed it could be largely attributed to lack of NEW and FOCUSED threads.

Think of it like this. Someone starts a thread about a topic, we all chat and give info and experiences. When another person realizes that its a hot thread with people actually communicating in it they want to come and ask questions there while the thread is in the spotlight. This leads to people getting off topic, then more randomness, and so on and so forth.

That is the beauty of internet discussions. One comment turns into a segway to a whole new line of thought that could turn out to be more helpful than the OP. How can you try to curb that without destroying it?

Like fitchet said, err on the side of free speech rather than censorship. Our government does plenty of that for us already.

So, whats everyone having for noms tonight?

Old 03-11-2011, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
I've seen a bunch of threads go off topic before. Not usually too bad though and someone often brings them back on topic.

... oh... and that sandwich I had for lunch today. French toast Bagel with Brown sugar Ham, Oven roasted turkey and provolone was gooood.

~SB

Old 03-11-2011, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
I've seen a bunch of threads go off topic before. Not usually too bad though and someone often brings them back on topic.

... oh... and that sandwich I had for lunch today. French toast Bagel with Brown sugar Ham, Oven roasted turkey and provolone was gooood.

~SB
Oh that sounds so good.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Instead of sandwiches, I like fried chickens... all you can eat....an analogy that I used for the spring recall thread...

Regarding off topic materials.. I am guilty as charged. When I did not receive any response or comments from anybody regarding my post, I know I must have just made a fool of myself and I will disappear into the woods and come out again later.

Seriously, I don't mind off topic posts by participants if there is some connection to the original intent of the OP and what bothers me if someone felt they are being talked down to by another party, thereby starting fireworks and the whole thing just escalates.... very painful to watch

Old 03-16-2011, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal

Another is how personal threads that start out as serious concerns or comments become.

The sharing of personal experiences is always a way of learning and often has importance beyond the topic.

--------------

K_C_
If this were a confessional we would all be saying hale mary's...

Another issue to bring up is the way the new kids on the block are treated.
Many first timers are often greeted by the search police.

I've done it and have seen their threads turn into great threads.
I've also seen the positive results from encouraging members to do a search.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
The thing about search... It's hit or miss.

On one hand are topics that rarely get discussed, but the search parameters are either too short (3 letter words) or too common. I don't mind "another" new thread on such a topic.

But, on the other hand... you see three threads, practically in a row about the exact same topic ("what wheels will fit?!?"), even by different people. When there's not only a thread a few lines down on the front page, but a whole sub-section devoted to wheels and tires.

The first thing goes through my mind is "seriously?!? Are you that damn lazy to search or an f-ing moron?"

It especially pisses me off when the very answer they are looking for is at the top of the page... The title worded almost exactly the way any answer for them would need to be. And when you tell them that, they respond with, "I'm sorry for being such a newbie, you don't have to be an ass."

Seriously?!? I wanna tell them to take what ever device they are using and shove it up their ass.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:28 PM
If this is how new visitors are treated on the Honda forum I'd hate to see how people are treated on the BMW forum!

Old 03-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Ha. You guys are adorable. This forum is remarkably tame to the private tech forums I am used to.

Strict and belligerent. No BS.

Mods telling you to f*ck off and locking threads for typos.. Instaban for not searching or asking dumb questions.. (yes dumb questions do exist)

FF by contrast is remarkably open minded and the mods are really laid back. Both things I can appreciate.

New guys are given no quarter, on the other forums and told not give any. New guy/intro threads are forbidden and a bannable offense. Or they get sticky'd as an example of what not to do.

If you haven't been there done that and gotten the Tshirt they do NOT want to hear your sh!t and are too happy to let you know.

Frankly I love it.

Searches for incredibly complex topics or esoteric stuff is direct and without much fluff. The sale section is guaranteed top notch and trust worthy because a mod has to make you eligible based on recommendation.

You cannot even sign up without a vouch from someone established on one of them

Old 03-16-2011, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Ha. You guys are adorable. This forum is remarkably tame to the private tech forums I am used to.

Strict and belligerent. No BS.

Mods telling you to f*ck off and locking threads for typos.. Instaban for not searching or asking dumb questions.. (yes dumb questions do exist)

FF by contrast is remarkably open minded and the mods are really laid back. Both things I can appreciate.

New guys are given no quarter, on the other forums and told not give any. New guy/intro threads are forbidden and a bannable offense. Or they get sticky'd as an example of what not to do.

If you haven't been there done that and gotten the Tshirt they do NOT want to hear your sh!t and are too happy to let you know.

Frankly I love it.

Searches for incredibly complex topics or esoteric stuff is direct and without much fluff. The sale section is guaranteed top notch and trust worthy because a mod has to make you eligible based on recommendation.

You cannot even sign up without a vouch from someone established on one of them
Hah! I know that forum that you're talking about! You can't even make up a name..it has to be your first and last name. You really learn a lot, but very limited due to everything being private lol

Old 03-17-2011, 02:54 AM
Originally Posted by j1nNju1c3
Hah! I know that forum that you're talking about! You can't even make up a name..it has to be your first and last name. You really learn a lot, but very limited due to everything being private lol
Bingo!

Well over time you get access as you get involved with them .they expand your privileges. So now I can view and do everything except sell stuff. I can buy though... For reference on that particular forum I only have handful of posts.

Because everything else I have been curious about so far or would want to explain to someone has already been answered somewhere, and somebody will remember it and tear you a new one for mucking up the forum and making searching more difficult!

The other one that I can actually mention (ECMTuning) I only have a couple hundred.

This place is infinitely more friendly and open to discussion. Even if it has been brought up a couple dozen times.

And some might argue that well with all the threads new info is bound to show up right? Well, instead everyone there goes out of there way to only add info to the pertinent threads.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
I'll look up ECMTuning tomorrow, thanks!

I've been reading up on some old thread on EvolutionM forum, the 1400hp evo...that Spyros guy is something fierce! My jaw dropped, just dropped haha.
Got that from your thread though, so thanks again. I've been up reading way too much without really understanding so I'll probably re-read tomorrow to get a better understanding, but great stuff to say the least!

Old 03-17-2011, 03:52 AM
Old 03-17-2011, 03:56 AM
Originally Posted by j1nNju1c3
I'll look up ECMTuning tomorrow, thanks!

I've been reading up on some old thread on EvolutionM forum, the 1400hp evo...that Spyros guy is something fierce! My jaw dropped, just dropped haha.
Got that from your thread though, so thanks again. I've been up reading way too much without really understanding so I'll probably re-read tomorrow to get a better understanding, but great stuff to say the least!
Something captivating about a 150lb/min custom quadruple ball bearing turbo, metal matrix composite connecting rods, titanium alloy crank shaft, titanium compressor back plate, Copper Beryllium (CuBe) Valve seats and titanium back cut swirl polished 5 angle valves, billet aluminum short block and sleeves.. the whole deal is remarkable.

Talk about Bi-Winning:
YouTube - Charlie Sheen Parody - Bi-Winning (Official Song)

Though Spyros is good, you should see what Marcos at Magnus Motorsports cranks out.

Spyros is only the engine builder and doesn't care about the times the owners turn out. Though his resume is incredibly impressive and includes a whole range of cars. And since dyno's all read different and need to be corrected.. its the real world performance that really matters.

Magnus is the builder for Brent Rau's 6 second 200mph quarter mile monster eclipse and they specialize in 4B11T's and 4G63/64's

Brents car is making 1400whp SAE corrected @ 86psi boost with the track slips to back it up!

YouTube - Brent Rau - Never Give up - Worlds Fastest Mitsubishi

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-17-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
As far as the newbie/search police issue, I don't mind spending a minute or two giving someone a quick answer versus making them plow through an hour of search results. Sometimes I'll point them to the most relevant previous thread if I know where it is without having to search myself.

As far as drifting off topic, I've started a new thread a couple of time if I feel the most relevant previous thread has gotten too long or bogged down. I just did that with the lost motion spring recall thread. I wanted visibility for my info, so I started a new thread with a more focused title.

Others might disagree, but that's the way I do it....

Old 03-20-2011, 11:04 PM
View First Unread
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Today, 20:14

TsiBoii

HOW lOng aRE the CAMshafts?

in the 4g63..i know its noob question..i need to no so i can get a perfect box to shipp them

Tsi Boii

hks 272 cams intake and exhuast

Evo 3 Pistons .20 over borded

Eagle Rods

Turbonetics Turbo T3 50 Trim / Stage 1 .48 A/R

Twin turbo supra fuel pump

650 injectors

3inch exhuast/cut off

3inch maf

Maf translater

TsiBoiiView Public ProfileSend a private message to TsiBoiiFind all posts by TsiBoiiAdd TsiBoii to Your Contacts

Today, 20:29

Scrapy

Go to Sonic, Buy 4 of those extra long Coney's. Eat all 4. Then take those empty boxes they came in and wrap around the cams, padded with lots of napkins. Tape up as necessary. Take these and put them in the biggest padded envelope at USPS. Shove with more napkins. Once done, eat the mint from the bottom of the bag.

1990 GSX. HX35 @ 25psi, Speed Density, Spearco FMIC, EvO3 exhaust manifold, Tial 40mm wastegate, HKS BOV, FIC 850's, Aeromotive A1000 FPR, Rewired Wally 255 HP, PS delete, AC Delete, Alt relocation, 4 bolt rear, and the usual stuff that goes along with this crap

ScrapyView Public ProfileSend a private message to ScrapyFind all posts by ScrapyAdd Scrapy to Your Contacts

Today, 20:33

TsiBoii

please help

Tsi Boii

Eagle Rods

650 injectors

3inch exhuast/cut off

3inch maf

Maf translater

TsiBoiiView Public ProfileSend a private message to TsiBoiiFind all posts by TsiBoiiAdd TsiBoii to Your Contacts

Today, 20:40

Scrapy

Do you not own a tape measure?

1990 GSX. HX35 @ 25psi, Speed Density, Spearco FMIC, EvO3 exhaust manifold, Tial 40mm wastegate, HKS BOV, FIC 850's, Aeromotive A1000 FPR, Rewired Wally 255 HP, PS delete, AC Delete, Alt relocation, 4 bolt rear, and the usual stuff that goes along with this crap

ScrapyView Public ProfileSend a private message to ScrapyFind all posts by ScrapyAdd Scrapy to Your Contacts

Today, 20:42

burnett03

Juan ignore these idiots..... The camshafts are 4 of my dogs paws, plus 3.9999978865 inches.

1995 Tsi awd

2008 Yamaha R1

Today, 20:44

TsiBoii

i have them..but i havent tooking out the cams out yet..

Tsi Boii

Eagle Rods

650 injectors

3inch exhuast/cut off

3inch maf

Maf translater

Today, 20:46

Scrapy

You can measure the length of the valve cover to get the length without tooking the cams out.

Today, 21:40

4G64AWD

Cut them in half to save on shipping.

1998 GSX - Jackstand Racing League Champion 2008-2009 Currently 2010 Points Leader!

4G64AWDView Public ProfileSend a private message to 4G64AWDSend email to 4G64AWDFind all posts by 4G64AWDAdd 4G64AWD to Your Contacts

Today, 21:44

imback!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4G64AWD

Cut them in half to save on shipping.

LMAO

2.0 ross eagle combo 9:1, Arp top to bottom ported and polished head bc springs and retainers, Bc 280's no BS, Pte scm6152re,fic 1150's wally250,E85

501AWHP/460TQ-28psi

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this..

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-21-2011 at 12:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Forum Behavior