General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Odor in my New Fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Odor in my New Fit

I am recently (within the past few days) the proud owner of a relatively new 2009 Honda Base Model Fit and I'm very excited. I'm already looking for a bunch if add-ons that can be retro-fitted without voiding my warranty. But a more immediate problem confronts me at the moment. A combination of stinky AC clip air deodorants and a what strikes me as cigarrette smell pervade the the entire car.
Today I hosed and I mean HOSED the interior down with Febreeze. I've rolled down all the windows and opened the back to let it air out.
If the above doesn't work, can anyone recommend anything else? I've heard vinegar, charcoal, but not sure how effective all this is.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Grtz on the new purchase. Def don't put vinegar in your car. Your gonna make your car stink more. If it's AC, Get it checked out by a mechanic. If you think its just mainly the inside of your car, Then you need one of these

MaxExtract Dual V Carpet Cleaner | Hoover Vacuums#

Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Congrats on the fit! More Georgia fits are always good!

For the smell, if it is like a cig smell in the seats and stuff you could try the stuff called ozium. Its designed to get cig as well as other types of smoke out of fabrics and it works great!

Old 03-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks!! Believe it or not, I think the Febreeze did the trick, or at least appears to have in the short-term. We'll see in a couple of weeks if that cig smell comes back.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Congrats on the purchase.

Google this "remove cigarette smell from car" for some tips.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:19 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
I'm not big on Febreeze. I'd rather stick a box of baking soda. Then once the smell clears buy a squash air refreshener.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member
maybe try replacing the cabin air filter?

Old 03-26-2011, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
I wish my problem that I had was cigarette smell (I'm a smoker...LOL). My wife and I went out shopping and a quart of milk rolled under the rear seat and cooked in the sun for about a week. That was until the carton exploded and I had a curled, nasty, spoiled, chunky puddle all over the carpet!

I used charcoal, vinegar (almost made it worse), Fabreeze, Commercial grade Renuzit, and constantly shampooed the carpets for over 2 weeks to get rid of the smell!

Old 03-26-2011, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
I second the recommendation of Ozium. Just for regular use. I don't like hanging or clipping air freshners inside my automobile. Ozium sprayed occasionally keeps the vehicle smelling "new" and what I like about it, is it aerosols so finely that spraying it within the car doesn't result in things getting "covered".

I tried some standard, regular spray air freshners and then found I had to immediately wipe off my dash or some other surface that would inevitably accidently get covered.
That doesn't seem to happen with Ozium.

Also, they have a "new car scent" that doesn't smell like a Pine Forest or Willy Wonka's Ass...which I appreciate.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by pokems23
I'm not big on Febreeze. I'd rather stick a box of baking soda. Then once the smell clears buy a squash air refreshener.
Baking soda worked for me once.

Also could try tossing a bag of charcoal briquets in the vehicle... but do leave them inside the bag.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:21 PM
I don't believe that any of that odor-absorbing stuff works all that well- if the odor passes into the air then just leaving the windows open would work at least as well.

And I read of one study using baking soda in fridges- didn't make any difference in food absorbing odors from other food.

You've got to wash out whatever's causing the smell. Or wait, as it ought to dissipate over time.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by buckyfit
maybe try replacing the cabin air filter?
+1
definitely do this asap. It is very easy to replace also, 2 minutes with no tools required. See the DIY thread on this forum.

The cabin filter absorbs the prior odors in the car, especially stale cigarette smell. Now everytime you turn on the fan you are getting blasted with those same recirculated odors.

_

Old 03-29-2011, 02:03 AM
Hey thanks for all the tips guys!!!

Last edited by tigerbunni; 03-29-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:39 AM
I'd change the cabin air filter you can order one on amazon.com for 10 dollars. It is easy to change it is located in the glove box.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
IAlso, they have a "new car scent" that doesn't smell like a Pine Forest or Willy Wonka's Ass...which I appreciate.
I'm not even going to ask you how you know what Willy Wonka's ass smells like.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Chocolatey I imagine! Oh the images that conjures! I've ordered a new cabin air filter. I also ordered some OEM floor mats. Those floors are otherwise going to get dirty and worn in no time. Gotta take care of my new baby!!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:24 AM
new cabin air filter and spray meguiars odor eliminator all over - its much better than fabreze

Old 03-31-2011, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I'm scarred...

Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
..winning that golden ticket wasn't all it was cracked up to being. Also don't lick the wallpaper...

Old 04-01-2011, 08:58 PM
So I ordered an air filter that got sent UPS only to realize it wasn't the right size (dummies). So I pulled the old one out and it really doesn't look all that dirty. Hosed THAT down with Febreeze and now all I can smell is overwhelming scent of "New Zealand Springs".
Am adding remote keyless entry on Monday...YAY!!!

Old 04-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Banned
FYI the 2009 base fit has keyless installed from the factory. You just need to purchase the remote.

Quick Reply: Odor in my New Fit