General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Odor in my New Fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
I wish my problem that I had was cigarette smell (I'm a smoker...LOL). My wife and I went out shopping and a quart of milk rolled under the rear seat and cooked in the sun for about a week. That was until the carton exploded and I had a curled, nasty, spoiled, chunky puddle all over the carpet!

I used charcoal, vinegar (almost made it worse), Fabreeze, Commercial grade Renuzit, and constantly shampooed the carpets for over 2 weeks to get rid of the smell!
In the Element, I helped a friend haul some trash to the dumpster. One of the bags leaked... it leaked that east Asian fermented fish sauce all down into the spare-tire well.

I took out every body panel back there, and the tire, and scrubbed every surface with Resolve pet-odor remover. if it keeps a dog from smelling his own piss in the carpet, it should work for anything.

In my case, it was in a localized area, and so it was easier to neutralize. Even still, if it was parked in the sun with the sunroof closed, what a horrid smell would ferment inside.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
Cabin air filter may be the source of residual stinky odors, easy replacement. Have a good auto detailer thoroughly clean the car for you, they will know how to deal with carpet/upholstery, having the right cleaners/deodorizers for the job. Febreeze has never worked well for me personally. Tried that for cat p%$@ on sofa cushions, had to replace the foams

Originally Posted by tigerbunni
I am recently (within the past few days) the proud owner of a relatively new 2009 Honda Base Model Fit and I'm very excited. I'm already looking for a bunch if add-ons that can be retro-fitted without voiding my warranty. But a more immediate problem confronts me at the moment. A combination of stinky AC clip air deodorants and a what strikes me as cigarrette smell pervade the the entire car.
Today I hosed and I mean HOSED the interior down with Febreeze. I've rolled down all the windows and opened the back to let it air out.
If the above doesn't work, can anyone recommend anything else? I've heard vinegar, charcoal, but not sure how effective all this is.