General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Subaru STI to FIT

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
But that's not what the OP was saying. The financial aspect, according to him, was not an issue. They just weren't getting their money's worth since it sounds like it was being daily driven with few performance exercises for the car. It's not as if he bought a car that he could barely afford. For example, I could probably afford an M3 if I wanted to buy one, but it wouldn't leave me with much left at the end of the day after all of my regular expenses. That's not the OP's situation.

Yup, this is what I am facing with. I am currently paying 600 per month for the STI, if I get a fit, I can do 380 ish and still finance another car in the future if my wife needs a new car. Just makes more financial sense.

Thanks all for all the good comments.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
My sibling has a chipped 09 sti, and I'd be bored in that car driving around town. You need to go about twice as fast as every posted speed limit to feel like you are flying down the road. The Fit - not so much. I like weaving (safely) through traffic in the Fit. Can't beat the light weight. For the record, I've owned much faster cars, and I only miss the power when I'm feeling particularly motivated, or have had a bad day and need to blast through the gears. After adding the intake to the Fit, the cacophony that is unleashed by the 1.5 is enough to get me going inside.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Have you priced a Fit? They are in short supply due to the tsunami. I have, love, and recommend Fits, but you may have trouble finding one or have to pay a premium price to get one. Many used Fit's are valued higher than they were bought for.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by spreadhead
Have you priced a Fit? They are in short supply due to the tsunami. I have, love, and recommend Fits, but you may have trouble finding one or have to pay a premium price to get one. Many used Fit's are valued higher than they were bought for.

yup, I have gotten mutliple quotes for the fit sport 5 sp and they are all under MSRP and with a trade in, i do not have to pay taxes at all.

However, I really want to see if they are coming out with a 6sp in 2012 but no one knows (besides Honda) knows for sure. Dealer is unsure and some have heard that it may have a 6 sp but no literature yet.

Thanks.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jumpman86
yup, I have gotten mutliple quotes for the fit sport 5 sp and they are all under MSRP and with a trade in, i do not have to pay taxes at all.
However, I really want to see if they are coming out with a 6sp in 2012 but no one knows (besides Honda) knows for sure. Dealer is unsure and some have heard that it may have a 6 sp but no literature yet.
Thanks.
if I were you I would wait for the 2012 model fit.
honda may put the ECON on it, like they did on the 2012 civics
w/it you get better gas mileage and diff. front/rear aero bumper
or maybe a 6 spd. as well
goodluck

Old 06-29-2011, 01:00 PM
hmm.. thanks for the heads up. I am debating whether to wait for the 2012 as well.

Thanks.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:35 PM
gym
My last car was a A4 b5 quattro 5spd with a modded 2.8 other then the leather and factory hid (solved with a retro) I think my fit is more fun to drive 08 sport a/t. And with snow tires for winter it is a beast...

Old 06-29-2011, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Yup, this is what I am facing with. I am currently paying 600 per month for the STI, if I get a fit, I can do 380 ish and still finance another car in the future if my wife needs a new car. Just makes more financial sense.
Assuming you were paying $600 per month over a 60-month term, did you not put that much money down?

Old 06-29-2011, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
I want to keep the Sti but its not the best financial move. You may ask why I bought it in first place, I blame myself for not thinking ahead.

Thanks all.
Too bad impulse got the best of you as most of us succumb to every now and then. Both are great cars to have... for the right reasons, right hands and driving styles. But yes, an STi is not a practical car to have. Good luck!

Old 06-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Assuming you were paying $600 per month over a 60-month term, did you not put that much money down?
Thats right, no money down as the rate was decent.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Thats right, no money down as the rate was decent.
For sure. I was paying less than $250 per month on a 48-month term for my Evo, but my down was upwards of $20k.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
I can from a 2005 Outback 2.5XT. A little slower than yours, but same general idea.

I have zero regrets.

Other than the gas issue, the Sub needed oil changes every 3,000, the Fit doesn't. That's additional savings right there. My Subie was paid off, and I am into the Fit for about 150 a month. The gas savings alone saves me enough money to cover the MORE than Fit payment.

The car is paying for itself.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Went from a Legacy GT to the Fit. While it was a pretty big adjustment from an acceleration standpoint, I find the all around driving experience to be just as rewarding. Fun to drive, but you are not going to be passing a lot of folks.

The Fit is great for running around on the short trips that parents with young kids seem to make so often. I'm averaging around 35mpg, while I was doing MAYBE 23mpg with the Subie.

Miss the Legacy but really enjoying the Fit.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
2012 will have a few little tweeks, but i doubt it will have a 6sp, in my opinion it wouldn's be able to handle it anyway, except on real flat roads (it's only a 1.5)
i will tell you that i bought my 2010 fit with NAV for the radio controls on the wheel and for visiting friends in california (nav comes in handy when you don't know your way around) but when it snowed here in salt lake and the VSA (now standard on all 2011 and newer fits) kicked in i was astounded! i can't believe how good this fit goes in the snow and i was on bald tires (oh yeah i tracked the s#*t out of it last summer and am planning to again this summer) it goes almost as good as my late 80's AWD civic wagon in the snow and thats no joke. you won't need more than what honda has, in bad weather - i promise.
and as for going from a fast car to a slow car, i have a track car that is street legal and i drive it as often as i need to keep the fluids fresh and the battery charged, and i really think my fit will see more track time this year - 325hp in a 2000lb car or 115hp in a 2600lb car - well you'd think i was crazy to park the crx but the fit is a blast to drive

Old 07-04-2011, 01:57 PM
I went from a 2000 m5 to a element. I got 15mpg in the m5 and 27 in the city with the element. When I had 6 fishing poles and 3 kayaks on/in the m5 I stepped back and said bad ass, then sold it to get my element.
Not the same cars but basically the same situation. The m5 was a blast but the element is more suited for my lifestyle.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Hi All,

I currently own a 2010 STI and I am debating whether I should get a FIT and get rid of the STI. Some of you may think I am nuts.

While the STI is great, I feel it s more car than I need, going back to forth to work and its only 20 miles round trip on local roads. It gets around 23 MPG but needs 93 octane and that I thought it would be a smart move to get into a FIT instead especially with increasing gas prices.

I know I will not get the same acceleration with a FIT but I am in my 30s and dont need to drive all that fast. I bought the STI initially thinking I only live once and I should get what I always wanted but having lived that dream, I want to get into something fun and more economical.

I wanted to hear some of you who have driven more powerful car prior to getting into a FIT and how were you able to cope with it.

With the STI, I am always afraid to take it to places worrying that it may be dinged or something might happen to it so I want to get a FIT where I may not have the same worries (good gas mileage, reliable....)

Thanks.
the Fit can be fun to drive if you get a MT. i had a MT one too until a few weeks ago when i finally sold it after about 3.5yrs of ownership. it was my temporary dd while my kids grew up. im back in my G35C again as my dd. if i were in your shoes i would keep the STI and enjoy your ride.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by blackwagon
I went from a 2000 m5 to a element. I got 15mpg in the m5 and 27 in the city with the element. When I had 6 fishing poles and 3 kayaks on/in the m5 I stepped back and said bad ass, then sold it to get my element.
Not the same cars but basically the same situation. The m5 was a blast but the element is more suited for my lifestyle.
My buddy loaned me his m3 because he took my element to TN. I regret ever letting my m5 go, but I drive like an ass when I get into something fast. I piss people off on how slow I go in the element.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm not quite in the same situation since I kept my more powerful car and got the Fit just as a DD but I do have a 2010 Nissan GT-R (and a 2005 Pathfinder that was my DD) and just recently got a 2011 Fit Sport for DD duties.

Do I find myself wishing I was in one of my more powerful vehicles when I'm in the Fit? Yes and no. As with most things, there are tradeoffs. It's great to have the ready power of a big engine (especially the mad rush of the GT-R) but it's also no challenge to go fast with a bigger car and you have to be more wary of speeding and catching hell from cops. The Fit is great in that you can have fun with it but not do anything really reckless.

To be honest, the only time I really wish I were in one of my other cars is when other drivers don't seem to give you any respect in a Fit. Take it for what you will but I certainly notice that people are more apt to give my car some space when I'm in my big black menacing supercar or my SUV than in my little Fit. God knows the pickup drivers, of which there are tons in Arizona, sure seem to tailgate you more often if you're in an econobox lol.

I also ride sportbikes so I'm also more receptive to the advantages of less powerful vehicles since many trackday riders will swear that good riders are the ones that can ride fast with less power. I know I have more fun passing people on my relatively antiquated SV650 than my full-bore Gixxer. The Fit is the same. You have to drive it with more effort to get it to go fast but the self-satisfaction is worth it.

It's also great not to have to worry about parking my Fit. A GT-R just draws too much attention and it always seems like some dude in a beater parks way too close to me even if I park in the nether regions of a lot lol.

So as far as going from an STi to Fit goes, I don't think it's too huge a stretch. Sounds like the Fit is a better choice for your needs and if you're like me a test drive was all that's needed to convince you to get one. I don't know if you're interested in other models but if you want a little bit less of a difference then there are certainly plenty of nice new small cars out there worth a look like the Focus, Forte Koup, and so on.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
I did the same thing. I had a 2007 WRX and a 2010 Mazdaspeed3 (at different times) and I am enjoying the money in my pocket for my short commute to work. One day I will have a weekend car that is fast, but until then, I'll count the cash from saved payments, cheaper gas, better gas mileage and cheaper insurance and put it towards a weekend ride

Old 07-08-2011, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
I would wait to see if the 2012 is what you would want. I feel you on the move just because you can afford something does not mean we should have it. If every one had this type of thinking no one would have had so many money problems over the last 3 years. They all would have had a nice cushion of savings to get them through the tuff times. Me i went back to the Fit because i have changed. I now want more than a nice car in life i rather travel and have fun with the wife. Cars come and go but moments and experances are a great thing that will stay with us. Just my 2 cents on the matter. To many people think that cars are the only thing in this world, but they have never even left there state let alone the U.S. LOL. I have been all over and am planning to keep traveling. Oh yea and the Fit helps me do that cheaply with the wife and dog with still plenty of room in it for more things

Quick Reply: Subaru STI to FIT