General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Subaru STI to FIT

Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Subaru STI to FIT

Hi All,

I currently own a 2010 STI and I am debating whether I should get a FIT and get rid of the STI. Some of you may think I am nuts.

While the STI is great, I feel it s more car than I need, going back to forth to work and its only 20 miles round trip on local roads. It gets around 23 MPG but needs 93 octane and that I thought it would be a smart move to get into a FIT instead especially with increasing gas prices.

I know I will not get the same acceleration with a FIT but I am in my 30s and dont need to drive all that fast. I bought the STI initially thinking I only live once and I should get what I always wanted but having lived that dream, I want to get into something fun and more economical.

I wanted to hear some of you who have driven more powerful car prior to getting into a FIT and how were you able to cope with it.

With the STI, I am always afraid to take it to places worrying that it may be dinged or something might happen to it so I want to get a FIT where I may not have the same worries (good gas mileage, reliable....)

Thanks.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
I went from a STI to a Fit. No regrets. The Fit is peppy enough for me around town (5sp). Fuel saving is ginormous. As far as gas is concern, you can do the math: 1 tank of fuel for the STI is 2 tanks for me with the FIT.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:07 PM
I came over to the Fit from a 400 HP, 6.0 Chevy SSR. Premium fuel only and averaged 15 MPG on the highway. There were some weeks where I was paying easily $20 a day in fuel.

I couldn't be happier since I've gotten rid of that thing. I miss the power sometimes but only because I was used to it, I think. Driving the Fit is like driving a go-cart and I think that I'll enjoy it even more once I throw some mods on there. I wouldn't change a thing about the choice I've made.

Last edited by Jazz!; 06-28-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Hey honestly , I would love the sti !!! It's gorgeous all around but I know I can't afford it at all when It comes to payments , gas and performance parts! But honestly I don't regret the fit at all!!! I have a 09 fit mt and I love everything about it ! Yea I wish it can have a k20 in it but hey ... Very soon it will! But anyway it's so versatile that I get amazed every time !!!! And I get nothing but comPliments for my car !!! I say if u don't care for the hp and stuff go for the fit !!! Parts are greatly priced for aftermarket upgrades compared to the sti ! But overall u def gonna get more for ur $$$ with the fit ! It's my dd and gets me from point a to point b with no problem!

Old 06-28-2011, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
On a second note, what year is it ! Let's trade ! Lol

Old 06-28-2011, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Whoa!

Originally Posted by jumpman86
Hi All,

I currently own a 2010 STI and I am debating whether I should get a FIT and get rid of the STI. Some of you may think I am nuts.

While the STI is great, I feel it s more car than I need, going back to forth to work and its only 20 miles round trip on local roads. It gets around 23 MPG but needs 93 octane and that I thought it would be a smart move to get into a FIT instead especially with increasing gas prices.

I know I will not get the same acceleration with a FIT but I am in my 30s and dont need to drive all that fast. I bought the STI initially thinking I only live once and I should get what I always wanted but having lived that dream, I want to get into something fun and more economical.

I wanted to hear some of you who have driven more powerful car prior to getting into a FIT and how were you able to cope with it.

With the STI, I am always afraid to take it to places worrying that it may be dinged or something might happen to it so I want to get a FIT where I may not have the same worries (good gas mileage, reliable....)

Thanks.
Now I'm curious why you even bought the STi since seems like you haven't had it long enough to enjoy it. They're both keepers (if you can swing it) in my opinion and really from both ends of the spectrum if you're going to compare them. Both are fun to drive. Just depends on what you're looking for. The STi is definitely no fun to drive to a gas pump. The Fit is. If you bought the STi for practicality, then you bought the wrong car. Its an oxymoron - my pet peeve when I see Vettes, MBs and Beamers pull up to a Costco or ARCO gas station.

I have an '02 WRX. Bought it when it first came out (darn STi came out a year later). I would have probably gone for the STi otherwise. 106k fun miles later I still have it.

Picked up a used '08 AT Fit Sports less than a year ago Though its my son's commuter, I get to hijack it every now and then (every chance I get actually). With the Fit, I don't get much fun-driving withdrawals coz its still fun to drive - responsive, aglie and feisty on a smaller scale. It's great around town and whoa, the cargo space. Love how the seats can be configured. Did I mention cargo space?

So there, the transition is not so drastic with a Fit. Another econo-fun car I can think of would be the Mini but it costs more, less cargo space flexibility and the turbo is premium only.

Worries? Well that's personal. To each his own. A Fit owner can worry about their cars as much as an owner of a high-end one... or NOT. A car is a car. Ownership is self-defined. Good luck!

Old 06-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Wow, STI to a Fit. Two different worlds.

Yes, the Fit will be much better on gas and will be more practical. And, probably cheaper to own in the end.

However, you are moving from a rally car to an econobox, so recognize the difference in driving is going to be significant.

If you don't "drive" your STI hard occasionally, and just use it as a daily driver, then yes, I could see moving to a Fit. But, if you like to drive aggressively from time to time, you may miss the STI. BTW, Subaru "recommends" 91 octane and up. You can run regular fuel and the timing will adjust itself. 93 isn't required.

I went from a LS400 (v8, 300hp) to the Fit, and I do miss the power and the comfort, but that thing was a boat! The Fit is much snappier (well, just about anything would be snappier than the LS).

Read up on the seat comfort and steering vagueness that some (including myself) have not liked about the Fit. Most of all, TEST DRIVE IT to make sure you are comfortable with it.

Good luck, brotha!

Old 06-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks.

Thanks for all the comments. I initially bought the STI thinking its a good sports car with lots of cargo space but after owning it for more than a year, I find my self not using half the performance that it offers.

Everytime I step on the STI harder, my wife gives me that look like I am crazy or overly aggressive....

But the another reason that I am thinking about the FIT is that I know it will be really realiable and that it will save me lots of money years ahead.

I test drove the FIT before and its really not all that slow (regular driving) and I think I can live with it until I need to do some quick passing on the highway but I dont even do that anymore, I just let others pass before I switch lanes.....

I think the FIT will be a good fit (no pun intened), lots of cargo and easy to mod.

Another question for you guys, I live in NJ and with winter tires, do you guys think driving in snowy conditions is bad with the FIT?

Thanks again everyone.

Ed

Old 06-28-2011, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Go with fit

Well i went from a mustang cobra and Evo to the 08 Fit i had. Loved the Fit fun car cheap to keep and cheap to mod and make look nice. But than the worst of me got to me and i talked myself into tradeing it in for a S2000 CR. It was fast and great on the turns. But i missed the Fit and hated the payments on it. So got back into a 08 Fit sport now i'm here to stay. The fit is a great fun car

Old 06-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
Well i went from a mustang cobra and Evo to the 08 Fit i had. Loved the Fit fun car cheap to keep and cheap to mod and make look nice. But than the worst of me got to me and i talked myself into tradeing it in for a S2000 CR. It was fast and great on the turns. But i missed the Fit and hated the payments on it. So got back into a 08 Fit sport now i'm here to stay. The fit is a great fun car

I had an AP1 S2K few cars back. Coming from an Evo and Cobra to a Fit is a big jump too. Glad to hear that you are not regretting the decision.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Also, do you guys suggest to wait for the 2012 to come out with the 6speed manual gear box? There is no real confirmation that it will come with a 6sp but when do guys think Honda will come out and let us know what is in changes on the 2012s?

Thanks.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
Hopefully it doesn't strike a nerve, but is the STI becoming a financial burden on you, or do you really need money freed up? I just notice that the drivers of cars like that (STI and Evo, which I have) who worry about mpg/gas prices typically can't afford the car. I'm not saying that applies to you, but I just figured I'd ask, especially since the car itself is relatively new, so you haven't had it that long. If you had it for years and wanted something else, then it would make more sense, or even if you had a really long commute, though even in that case, most people would just buy a beater car for cheap just to go to work and back.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdmjunkie561
On a second note, what year is it ! Let's trade ! Lol
trade it now

Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by phenoyz
trade it now
Lol, if you want to take over the payment.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Hey, it's cool. I can afford it financially but just feel like it's not worth it for me. I really dint drive all that fast.

I like to free up the payment in case my wife needs a new car.

I want to keep the Sti but its not the best financial move. You may ask why I bought it in first place, I blame myself for not thinking ahead.

Thanks all.

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Hopefully it doesn't strike a nerve, but is the STI becoming a financial burden on you, or do you really need money freed up? I just notice that the drivers of cars like that (STI and Evo, which I have) who worry about mpg/gas prices typically can't afford the car. I'm not saying that applies to you, but I just figured I'd ask, especially since the car itself is relatively new, so you haven't had it that long. If you had it for years and wanted something else, then it would make more sense, or even if you had a really long commute, though even in that case, most people would just buy a beater car for cheap just to go to work and back.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Cool. Thanks for the good response -- makes perfect sense.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Lol, if you want to take over the payment.
How much are ur payments? Sounds tempting ! Lol

Old 06-28-2011, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Hey, it's cool. I can afford it financially but just feel like it's not worth it for me. I really dint drive all that fast.
I like to free up the payment in case my wife needs a new car.
I want to keep the Sti but its not the best financial move. You may ask why I bought it in first place, I blame myself for not thinking ahead.
Thanks all.
It makes sense. You bought the car that you wanted/like.
its just the financial aspect of it.

I was in the same situation a couple of years back. in my case "I couldn't afford the payment at that time". Had to sell the car.

But if I can afford the payment and I REALLY, REALLY like the car, then I would do what would make me HAPPY, and keep the car that I really LIKE. Life is SHORT!!!! ENJOY LIFE

Old 06-28-2011, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phenoyz
It makes sense. You bought the car that you wanted/like.
its just the financial aspect of it.

I was in the same situation a couple of years back. in my case "I couldn't afford the payment at that time". Had to sell the car.

But if I can afford the payment and I REALLY, REALLY like the car, then I would do what would make me HAPPY, and keep the car that I really LIKE. Life is SHORT!!!! ENJOY LIFE
But that's not what the OP was saying. The financial aspect, according to him, was not an issue. They just weren't getting their money's worth since it sounds like it was being daily driven with few performance exercises for the car. It's not as if he bought a car that he could barely afford. For example, I could probably afford an M3 if I wanted to buy one, but it wouldn't leave me with much left at the end of the day after all of my regular expenses. That's not the OP's situation.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
The car I owned for 8 years prior to the fit was a 400whp Pontiac trans am with a 6 speed. I miss the instant power, hell the Toyota sienna I rented for a road trip feels like it moves much harder than the fit. The fit "feels" peppy but there are lots of suv's&minivans that will hurt you in any form of straight line performance

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Subaru STI to FIT