General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Sunshade recommendation*

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Sunshade recommendation*

I am only able to find this sunshade that is perfectly fit for our FIT, since the big windshield doesn't work with any other generic sunshades. However, the price is $34 which is a little pricey. I read all the customer review and said that the only negative thing is the sunshade is really big and unable to fold back (you can only roll it back and must be perform outside of the car). I want to protect the interior because my car is always parked under the sun. Do you think $34 is still worth it?

Sunshade for HONDA FIT 2010 HEATSHIELD Windshield Custom-fit Sunshade

Amazon.com: Sunshade for HONDA FIT 2009 2010 2011 HEATSHIELD Windshield Custom-fit Sunshade: Automotive

Old 07-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by be12nard
I am only able to find this sunshade that is perfectly fit for our FIT, since the big windshield doesn't work with any other generic sunshades. However, the price is $34 which is a little pricey. I read all the customer review and said that the only negative thing is the sunshade is really big and unable to fold back (you can only roll it back and must be perform outside of the car). I want to protect the interior because my car is always parked under the sun. Do you think $34 is still worth it?

Sunshade for HONDA FIT 2010 HEATSHIELD Windshield Custom-fit Sunshade

Amazon.com: Sunshade for HONDA FIT 2009 2010 2011 HEATSHIELD Windshield Custom-fit Sunshade: Automotive
Check out this thread
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...shade-fit.html

The Amazon sunshade is actually the cheapest custom sunshade when you calculate shipping. It now comes with flaps for the two front windows also.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1009276-post28.html

It is the one I ended up ordering. I am having trouble rolling it up, but I figure it should soften up some after use (it is getting easier already). It makes a big difference. Today it was 100 in DC and my 20 minute stop at the grocery store usually leaves my car broiling, but with the sunshade it was much cooler.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by be12nard
... I want to protect the interior because my car is always parked under the sun. ...
To protect the FIT's huge surface area of dashboard top from the sun rays, I am thinking of using ArmorALL - original Protectant... it says on the spray bottle that regular application will protect plastic from UV rays that will discolor and crack the plastic over time.

I bought it because it was on sale but have not used it yet.... is it effective? should I return it?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:26 PM
ithink that i spent 30$ where well spent on the sun shade and it keeps the fit a little cooler

Old 07-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Yes, definitely.. getting a sunshade is worth the investment - keep the car cool. I bought a silvery sunshade to deflect heat from windshield - truck size to fit my FIT's huge windshield.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Buy Honda Fit Accessories - Discount Genuine Honda Accessories

Custom Fit Reflective Windshield Shade
it's 22.95 when you add it to the cart. fast shipping. awesome price. fits the giant windshield perfectly

Old 07-22-2011, 01:17 AM
Great advice. it really fits thanks

Old 07-22-2011, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
I bought a flexible sun shade. Its two separate panels that overlap quite a bit, but covers the whole front windshield. When i close it, I twist it into a disc shape, about the size of the steering wheel. I like these a little more than the folding/rolling panels

I can't post links too well from my tablet (not that it matters), I randomly found it at Walmart... for the GE, it has to be biggest size! The next size down says it will fit the GD (says something like 2008 Honda Fit). I'll upload a pic to my junk album later tonight.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Smile With....

Originally Posted by Jay784
Buy Honda Fit Accessories - Discount Genuine Honda Accessories

Custom Fit Reflective Windshield Shade
it's 22.95 when you add it to the cart. fast shipping. awesome price. fits the giant windshield perfectly
$9.49 shipping to VA...

This is the Heatshield sunshade. The picture shows the old one that does not cover the side windows.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:47 AM
Thumbs down I have one...

Originally Posted by Goobers
I bought a flexible sun shade. Its two separate panels that overlap quite a bit, but covers the whole front windshield. When i close it, I twist it into a disc shape, about the size of the steering wheel. I like these a little more than the folding/rolling panels

I can't post links too well from my tablet (not that it matters), I randomly found it at Walmart... for the GE, it has to be biggest size! The next size down says it will fit the GD (says something like 2008 Honda Fit). I'll upload a pic to my junk album later tonight.
It is still unfolded thrown in the corner of the garage. I love these sunshades, but the Jumbo one is too hard to fold.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Blackbeard
$9.49 shipping to VA...

This is the Heatshield sunshade. The picture shows the old one that does not cover the side windows.
The description says "Intro-tech" brand.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Cool My bad...

Originally Posted by TrungLam
The description says "Intro-tech" brand.
It looks just like the Heatshield one...

Here is the Intro-tech website...
Windshield Sunshade by Intro-Tech Automotive

Old 07-22-2011, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member

I gotta have granddaughter check them out and use her discount card -)

Right now I have a $2 from a Dollar store and it lore or less just lays over the dash. It does protect the dash. I have a good tint so I do not get too hot.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
One of the first things I purchased for my Fit was a sunshield from Canvas Works...

It was spendy. But at the time there wasn't a lot of custom fit options. There seems to be more now.

I'd recommend it. The quality is good and I think with the amount of window space and the amount of plastic dash in a Fit, a sunshield is a must.

As far as storage? It is what it is. Whatever custom fit brand you buy, it's going to be the size it is....huge. With my Canvas Works Heatshield I've found it NOT to be as difficult as I thought. Yes, I usually have to open the door and roll it up, off to the side. But it's NOT that hard...just like rolling up a poster. Once rolled up, it fits nicely under the seats behind the lock down supports...out of sight, out of mind for the winter and fall months...

The only real issue I've found is that I bought an extra piece of velcro strapping so that I could easily roll it up the "reverse" way. The Canvas Works shield is designed to be rolled up reflective silver side out...and that IMO curls the side window inserts inward...rolling it up in the reverse way or inside out, makes the side inserts curl outward..which IMO is better.

So in short? I'd say definently get a heatshield. Use it. I'd recommend a custom fit one. There is no real easy way to get around dealing with the size. My Canvas Works Heatshield is great, but it's a heatshield, I don't really think the technology is rocket science. If I could purchase a similar custom fit product cheaper? I would probably go with that...

Old 07-22-2011, 01:46 PM

It is still unfolded thrown in the corner of the garage. I love these sunshades, but the Jumbo one is too hard to fold.
I bought this exact sun shade at Walmart. Cost was only ~$10 I think and fits the Fit windshield perfectly. Make sure you buy the Jumbo size and you install it with longer side of shade going top to bottom of Fit windshield, fills nearly every square inch. Sun visors hold it in place well. One side of shade is reflective silver and the other is black. Very good quality, I had a smaller size of same sun shade for my last car. Three years of everyday use and as good as new when I sold the car.

and Blackbeard it is not hard to fold. It is all in the proper technique. Once you do it correctly once you are golden, like learning how to ride a bike. I can fold mine while inside the car without any issue.

_

Old 07-22-2011, 02:01 PM

Found this video for same Walmart brand jumbo sun shade.
If Rasheetajoy can do it so can you!

‪How to fold auto shade‬‏ - YouTube

_

Old 07-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Cool Well...

Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
Found this video for same Walmart brand jumbo sun shade.
If Rasheetajoy can do it so can you!

‪How to fold auto shade‬‏ - YouTube

_

I didn't say I couldn't do it. But unlike the smaller ones I was not able to do it easily. Also the Jumbo is so big you have to fold it outside the car. It was more of a pain than it was worth...I am much happier with the Heatshield from Amazon roll-up one that I have now...it is getting easier each time I roll it...and it keeps the car cooler!

Old 07-22-2011, 02:53 PM
I didn't say I couldn't do it. But unlike the smaller ones I was not able to do it easily. Also the Jumbo is so big you have to fold it outside the car. It was more of a pain than it was worth...I am much happier with the Heatshield from Amazon roll-up one that I have now...it is getting easier each time I roll it...and it keeps the car cooler!
No need to fold the Jumbo outside the car. I fold mine easily inside the car even with a passenger seated. Like I said it is all in technique. Only posting back on this in case somebody would read and think it couldn't be done in the car.

But I understand is not the style or type everyone prefers. Yours is way more insulated but it also takes more space to store and is 3X more expensive.

_

Old 07-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i dont use sunshades on my dd's... including my G35C. reason is it's clumsy, rubs against the inside glass which leads to me cleaning the windows again and again and again noting the disturbance of even the SLIGHTEST film that builds up over regular use.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
i dont use sunshades on my dd's... including my G35C. reason is it's clumsy, rubs against the inside glass which leads to me cleaning the windows again and again and again noting the disturbance of even the SLIGHTEST film that builds up over regular use.
I noticed windshield smearing as as well. Hence, back to my original thought of using armourall to protect the dashboard plastic against uv rays

To protect the FIT's huge surface area of dashboard top from the sun rays, I am thinking of using ArmorALL - original Protectant... it says on the spray bottle that regular application will protect plastic from UV rays that will discolor and crack the plastic over time.

I bought it because it was on sale but have not used it yet.... is it effective? should I return it?

Quick Reply: Sunshade recommendation*