General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Maintenance questions from new owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Maintenance questions from new owner

I've logged about six hundred miles so far on my new 2011 base Honda Fit. Believe it or not, it's almost twenty-five years more modern than my last car -- an early 80s Beemer. Many of the technological improvements are impressive, but some are pretty confusing to me, too -- particularly as regards the car's maintenance schedule.

In years past, I always had a service schedule. Change the oil at X miles, the fuel filter at X miles, the air cleaner filter at X miles, and so on. Now -- if I understand correctly, and please tell me if I'm missing something -- I'm supposed to just wait for the wrench icon to appear on the dash.

That's it! If I see the wrench icon, I also should see a letter and number code that corresponds to service items given on page 253 of the manual. I then know what service task to ask the dealer or independent mechanic to complete. Only the oil life can be checked more easily, by pressing the dashboard "select knob."

Am I understanding my new Fit correctly? Is this really how maintenance scheduling works for new cars, or am I missing something?

Also: does anyone know if Honda publishes an old-fashioned list of maintenance items to be completed at different mileage points ... and, if so, where this list might be available.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 PM
For the US there is no milage based schedule, it's all in the MM. And yes this is pretty common across most newer cars. Heck iirc modern bmws don't even have an oil dip stick.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
It is my opinion that although the maintenance minder is kind of cool it is also gimmicky and not to be relied upon solely. The maintenance minder doesn't really maintain a vigil over what needs to be done but just serves as a reminder. In other words, if it did, you should be able to change the oil without resetting the MM and the wrench should disappear. And just the reverse is true. If the B1 code comes up and I don't change the oil but reset the MM, is the problem solved? The car's computer somehow calculates when the oil and other services (probably) need to be done but it isn't gospel. Case in point, I finally had the B1 code come up and when I checked the oil, it was as full and clear as the day the dealership changed it for me.

The sad reason for all these cars having MM's is that it is a known fact that most people don't check anything nowadays (oil level, tire pressure, coolant, etc). They just get in a drive and then act surprised when something breaks.

Keep treating your cars the way you had been. You will be fine.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
It is my opinion that although the maintenance minder is kind of cool it is also gimmicky and not to be relied upon solely. The maintenance minder doesn't really maintain a vigil over what needs to be done but just serves as a reminder.
It's true that its not a magical test lab, but it's certainly more accurate than that little sticker, which is also kinda gimmicky and doesn't know if you actually changed anything.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Wait for the wrench to appear... then get it serviced.

You can get track of your oil on the MM display... once it gets
down to 15% time to get it changed... the wrench should appear.

Even the proverbial dumb blonde could not screw it up... oh wait
yes they could!

Old 08-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yep, just follow the wrench.

welcome to year 2011, op! lol

Old 08-09-2011, 01:24 PM
The MM keeps track of all maintenance items - other than oil life - by mileage.

There's no USDM published list I can find, however, European data is more readily found: Maintenance Schedule

There's plenty of forum chatter regarding tranny fluid change, coolant and oil.
The MM really is your friend.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member
FYI. Should tie this thread with the thread on the GE forum. Same question. Same answers.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1021414

Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Connecting the dots, well done. HA - Imagine if all related threads were focused that way... there goes 75% of the posts.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks, everyone ... and especially to Krimson Cardnal, for posting the link to European service schedules!

Old 08-12-2011, 02:14 PM
My pleasure.