2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Service Intervals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 06:46 AM
5 Year Member
Service Intervals?

Does anyone know where I can find the service intervals for the 2009 Fit. I looked it up in the owner's manual and it directs me to page 245. Page 245 contains information about the Maintenance Minder. I'd prefer to see something like:

At the 5,000 mile service, change the oil, check tightness of bolts, inspect brakes, blah blah blah.

I really want to know when I should take it in for the first check-up and inspection. I am new to Honda, so maybe they don't ever show it this way. Thoughts?

Old 10-02-2008, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit hasn't arrived yet , but if the maintenance minder works like the one in my Ridgeline, it will not show codes for other maintenance that is needed until the oil life display drops to 15% or below. There is no fixed mileage-based maintenance schedule in the manual. I prefer to change my oil and filter at 5000 mile intervals because it's just easier to keep track of it that way. Problem is, at 5000 miles, the oil life is still around 40% so the other codes (if any) don't show up. So, I don't reset the oil life when I change the oil, and just let it continue to go down to 15%, at which time the other codes show up, like "1" (for tire rotation) or "2" (for air filter replacement), etc. Works for me

Old 10-05-2008, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
It is supposed to come with a second manual for service. If they didn't give it to you call your dealer.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by MPGASAP
It is supposed to come with a second manual for service. If they didn't give it to you call your dealer.
You sure about that? The service schedule in the manual is totally predicated on the maintenance minder, which appears to be totally decoupled from mileage.

I'd be happy if I could just find the order in which the different services appear.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
oh god here we go again.

why is the maintanence minder thing so elusive to people?

you do what the computer tells you to, WHEN it tells you to.

in every honda manual, there is a table under maintenence that shows you what the different numbers and codes mean. that way when you see your minder pop up with the code 'a 1', you look up what a1 entails and you have your answer.

seriously guys, its made to make things easier. i think people just like to complain.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by eldaino
oh god here we go again.

in every honda manual, there is a table under maintenence that shows you what the different numbers and codes mean. that way when you see your minder pop up with the code 'a 1', you look up what a1 entails and you have your answer.

seriously guys, its made to make things easier. i think people just like to complain.
Gee... nice reply. Did I complain? I didn't think so.

It's not elusive in practice, but if you have a reason to want to predict what it is going to tell you to do, that is certainly shrouded in mystery. I have a very good reason for trying to understand how the maintenance minder will be going about it's business. I'll be living in Geneva (Switzerland) for ~18 months starting some time next year and I'd like to avoid having to deal with customer service in French (my French is terrible... as is French/Swiss customer service) on a foreign-market car (I'm taking the Fit) for a major service. So... if I knew before I left that a major service was coming up next, I'd be inclined to have it done before leaving.

So... do you have anything useful to say or do you just want to whine some more?

Old 11-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
There is nothing on the timing chain. Is it 90K or 110K miles?

The maintenance minder is OK. But they should also include old service interval according to year and miles. I can just glance at it and know what's coming up and plan for it instead looking up some code.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
I forgot that I started this thread, but I found it on a search. I'm bringing it back because I still feel that it is an issue.

I just took my 2009 Fit in for a few warranty items. One of the items was that I felt that the transmission shifted too stiff when it is cold. It almost feels like fifth gear is going to grind. It gets better when it warms up, but it is still stiff. So, the dealer comfirmed the issue somewhat. Apparently they checked the transmission fluid and it was darker than they expected it to be. They changed the fluid and I asked them why it had to be changed so soon. They stated that it should be changed at the 15,000 mile service because the Fit doesn't have a transmission fluid filter. My car had 17,000 miles on it, by the way. Now that I am looking at the manual, page 251 shows transmission fluid changes on maintenance minder code 3. I never received that code.

I'd much rather have a chart that says x should be done at y miles. Do we have any Honda techs on this board that have access to that kind of chart?

And does anyone have any thoughts on how I should handle the fluid needing to be replaced at 15,000 miles? The manual is showing 60,000 miles at the earliest (on page 251).

Old 01-03-2010, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
I think the service rep made it up. Transmission fluid change at 15K is too early unless you're running a taxi service or towing a yacht. You yourself state the manual shows 60k (and I think that's for severe service).

The maintenance minder is better than a chart. It considers your actual driving conditions.

Of course if it makes you feel better spending more money babying it, change your oil every 5,000 miles, transmission fluid, air and cabin filters, and anti-freeze every 30. Or make up your own intervals.

Me, I'll go by what the manufacturer (and not the service salesperson) recommends, which is to follow the maintenance minder.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 PM
look at your service book, not the manual book.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
No service book in the North American market. It's all done by the electronic maintenance minder.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:21 PM
I am a senior Service Advisor at a Honda dealer. The following comes from Honda engineering, owners manuals and seeing actual data on the HDS.

The maintenance minder takes into consideration the following:

Average throttle opening
Average speed
Average trip length
Average engine temp
Average ambient air temperature
Average transmission temperature
Average shift points
Etc.

An "A" means an oil change. Not a filter, just oil. Most dealers, mine included, do an oil and filter change. An "A" is almost universally accompanied by a "1" (tire rotation). On most vehicles this averages 7-8k miles but we have seen them as low as 3400 miles on hard-driven Civics with MTs to has high as 11500 miles on AT Fits.

A "B" is an oil and filter change with basic inspections of your brakes, fuel system, undercarriage and other minor adjustments to parking brake or drums. A "B" service occurs every service and has the same interval as an "A"

The numbered services are as follows:

1: Tire rotation (nearly every service except very low mileage oil changes)
2: Replace engine air filter and cabin filter(s) (about every 22-28k miles)
3: Trans fluid replacement (AT or MT) (about every 35-45k miles)
4: Spark plug replacement, valve adjustment and I think something else (105k or so). A "4" service gets a timing belt change if so equipped.
5: Coolant replacement (around 55k).
6: 4WD or AWD Hondas get a rear diff service.

The manual states to replace brake fluid completely (not just the reservoir) every three years regardless of mileage.

I am amongst the group that does not understand how this system is cryptic in any way. This information is listed in every owners manual. If you learn the procedure to reset your maintenance minder, you can even preview what service is coming up before it is displayed by your computer. While you may not agree with intervals it is a very simple system that seems to work well in the vast majority of instances. And as long as you go by it, your warranty is in effect.

HTH,

b

Old 01-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
No service book in the North American market. It's all done by the electronic maintenance minder.
There is a service manual provided by Honda on each USDM vehicle sold. Honda encourages owners to record their service in the book, there is even a place for the dealer to emboss it with a seal unique to their dealer. Old-school Honda owners ALWAYS want their book filled out, they will bring it in with them and guard that thing. In the old days, that book showed your entire history to the dealers. No book, no warranty.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by cyergey
I forgot that I started this thread, but I found it on a search. I'm bringing it back because I still feel that it is an issue.

I just took my 2009 Fit in for a few warranty items. One of the items was that I felt that the transmission shifted too stiff when it is cold. It almost feels like fifth gear is going to grind. It gets better when it warms up, but it is still stiff. So, the dealer comfirmed the issue somewhat. Apparently they checked the transmission fluid and it was darker than they expected it to be. They changed the fluid and I asked them why it had to be changed so soon. They stated that it should be changed at the 15,000 mile service because the Fit doesn't have a transmission fluid filter. My car had 17,000 miles on it, by the way. Now that I am looking at the manual, page 251 shows transmission fluid changes on maintenance minder code 3. I never received that code.

I'd much rather have a chart that says x should be done at y miles. Do we have any Honda techs on this board that have access to that kind of chart?

And does anyone have any thoughts on how I should handle the fluid needing to be replaced at 15,000 miles? The manual is showing 60,000 miles at the earliest (on page 251).
My fluid was darker than I expected it to be at 14k miles and I changed it. I have an AT and am the second owner. If you have an MT I'd want to know how they checked the fluid color. There is not a dipstick for the fluid to my knowledge and it would be unlikely they pulled the drain plug for a fluid color check. SWAG, my guess. As for a filter, Hondas do not have serviceable filters so that info is correct but if you have a MT the trans doesn't pump fluid like the AT anyway so that info is irrelevant.

How cold is cold?

Old 01-03-2010, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eldaino
oh god here we go again.

At the risk of adding possible insult to injury, considering the turn this discussion seems to have taken, are we really supposed to solely trust on-board vehicle computers (maintenance minders included ), especially ones that report fuel economy rather inaccurately?

Sorry, I'm just sayin'...

Old 01-03-2010, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8
At the risk of adding possible insult to injury, considering the turn this discussion seems to have taken, are we really supposed to solely trust on-board vehicle computers (maintenance minders included ), especially ones that report fuel economy rather inaccurately?

Sorry, I'm just sayin'...
The question would then be, what are the accepted fluid change intervals?

The answer ranges from: "change the oil every 3,000 miles" to "never change it" depending on who you talk to.

I'll go by what the maintenance minder says, unless it goes beyond a year then I'll go by the manual (change yearly). Currently it suggests I'm at 50% @ 6,000 miles. I have no problem going to 12,000 or 1 year whichever comes first. If it said I was at 80% I'd be questioning its logic.

I think the problem is for those that are biblical about changing every 3,000 or 5,000 miles. If it bothers you, go ahead and change it. Too frequent maintenance never hurt anything except your wallet. (How does resetting the minder before required maintenance effect subsequent intervals?)

On the so called service book (log?). This must be a dealer thing, it's not part of the documents I received. In any case does it recommend service intervals?

Edit: I see the maintenance indicator light comes on at 15% until you navigate away from the maintenance display after turning on the car. With this nagging me I'll get it serviced at 15% oil life remaining (about 10,000 miles according to the current state).

If you were to reset the thing every 3,000 miles, would this cause the sub items 2, 3, 4, and 5 to appear prematurely?

Last edited by Steve244; 01-03-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Cap
5 Year Member
there is a three page maintenance schedule that takes the car up to 160 000 miles. i can't remember where it is, but it came up easy on a google search for 2009 honda fit maintenance schedule.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
The question would then be, what are the accepted fluid change intervals?

The answer ranges from: "change the oil every 3,000 miles" to "never change it" depending on who you talk to.

I'll go by what the maintenance minder says, unless it goes beyond a year then I'll go by the manual (change yearly). Currently it suggests I'm at 50% @ 6,000 miles. I have no problem going to 12,000 or 1 year whichever comes first. If it said I was at 80% I'd be questioning its logic.

I think the problem is for those that are biblical about changing every 3,000 or 5,000 miles. If it bothers you, go ahead and change it. Too frequent maintenance never hurt anything accept your wallet. (How does resetting the minder before required maintenance effect subsequent intervals?)

On the so called service book (log?). This must be a dealer thing, it's not part of the documents I received. In any case does it recommend service intervals?

Edit: I see the maintenance indicator light comes on at 15% until you navigate away from the maintenance display after turning on the car. With this nagging me I'll get it serviced at 15% oil life remaining (about 10,000 miles according to the current state).

If you were to reset the thing every 3,000 miles, would this cause the sub items 2, 3, 4, and 5 to appear prematurely?
Yes, It will increase some service intervals. Those who are obsesive about oil changes should change the oil at about 60% keep the receipts and not reset the MM. Then do another oil change at 10% and only then reset the MM.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cap
there is a three page maintenance schedule that takes the car up to 160 000 miles. i can't remember where it is, but it came up easy on a google search for 2009 honda fit maintenance schedule.
I just googled and came up with nada. zilch.

Maybe some dealer has one posted, but there is nothing on Honda's owner link other than what the maintenance minder codes mean. Checking several Canadian dealers it's the same thing. If it's a dealer posting you saw, I'd suggest it has more to do with dealer profits than recommended service.

edit: maybe this is what you saw? link

Last edited by Steve244; 01-03-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Yes, It will increase some service intervals. Those who are obsesive about oil changes should change the oil at about 60% keep the receipts and not reset the MM. Then do another oil change at 10% and only then reset the MM.
That kinda sucks. Glad I don't obsess.

Quick Reply: Service Intervals?