2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Service Intervals?

Old 03-18-2011, 05:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Don't confuse the manufacturer with the dealer. Honda Corp doesn't make any money from some petty oil changes from a dealer service dept in America. However if even 100 more people get swayed to buy a fit by seeing the long change interval, then it's good for Honda Corp. All I'm saying is that if you used 5w40 instead of 5w20 you should shorten your intervals. But in 'merica there is no mention that any oil but 5w20 is acceptable. Only with the international service manual would you know the full range of acceptable visocsities.
Sure, point taken and I don't disagree with your technical statement. I just see a gap in the reasoning that this is done because americans are inept, where I.m saying it's more because of conditions and availability of 20 oil. If 20 oil is highly available, as it is in the us, it makes sense to me to not mention products that will perform worse.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by rhyneba
I am amongst the group that does not understand how this system is cryptic in any way. This information is listed in every owners manual. If you learn the procedure to reset your maintenance minder, you can even preview what service is coming up before it is displayed by your computer. While you may not agree with intervals it is a very simple system that seems to work well in the vast majority of instances. And as long as you go by it, your warranty is in effect.
What's confusing to me is that when I went into the Honda dealer for my first oil change on a 2010 Fit I was told they wanted to do "15,000 Mile Maintenance" and it would cost several hundred dollars. I said I only had time for an oil change and they had me sign something saying I had declined scheduled maintenance.

They asked again when I had the engine spring recall service performed and again I declined.

Now, the maintenance minder says I need A12 service. I guess I'll call and see if I can schedule an appointment just to do what Honda recommends. If that works then I'm good, but I'm sure they're going to ask me about this mythical maintenance schedule they maintain again.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 PM
If they tried that with me I'd ask them to sign something saying they're insisting on providing non-recommended maintenance.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
Lyons I have a question about that fuel filter: when (mileage)would you recommend replacing it?

Old 04-06-2011, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
The dealer tried to sell me a "required 30k maintenance that's way overdue based on your mileage" package while doing the recall work. Declined since it was a glorified filter and oil change. I'd changed the filters myself about 2k miles ago, and the MM says the oil is at 30%.

The service writer recommended flushing the transmission "because the fluid was dark", but a minute later said that "fluid color doesn't matter for warranty purposes" when I asked about doing my own maintenance. He got really huffy when I asked that.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Santiad
Lyons I have a question about that fuel filter: when (mileage)would you recommend replacing it?
I'll step in for Lyons and say the filter needs replacement when the fuel pressure drops below it's normal 47-ꭥ54 psi range.
So how do you know?
Persistent hard starting is usually the first sign, rough idle, drop in MPG are others.

The fuel filter is in the gas tank, under the center console, not easy for the one-minute guys to get to. In other days the fuel filter was an easy $$check off at service stations. Today it's been buried and with the Fit there's no associated mileage with changing it. Thing is there never really was - it's more a matter of drive-ability.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Did a search and haven't found, does anyone here know how the Oil minder thing works? Is it actually sensing the quality of the oil as it degrades, therefore letting you know when it needs to be replaced?

I ask because my 2006 Silverado has an oil minder that only takes into account parameters such as crank speeds, temps, pressures, etc. It does not 'read' my oil quality and then base anything on that.

Thanks to any replies.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by grant22
Did a search and haven't found, does anyone here know how the Oil minder thing works? Is it actually sensing the quality of the oil as it degrades, therefore letting you know when it needs to be replaced?

I ask because my 2006 Silverado has an oil minder that only takes into account parameters such as crank speeds, temps, pressures, etc. It does not 'read' my oil quality and then base anything on that.

Thanks to any replies.
all the evidence is that it basically tracks milage/revs. Monitoring the actual quality of the oil is a bit difficult, but since you have to reset the MM after changing the oil, it can't be measuring the oil directly.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:21 PM
The MM is monitoring sensor readouts from the ECU.

Here's a pair of links that begin to explain:

Richfield Bloomington Honda - MM

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Fit/features.asp? Maintenance_Minder_Display

Old 04-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
The MM is monitoring sensor readouts from the ECU.

Here's a pair of links that begin to explain:

Richfield Bloomington Honda - MM

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Fit/features.asp? Maintenance_Minder_Display
From the first link:

"Honda does not recommend the use of synthetic oils as your Honda was designed and engineered based on the oil recommended in your owner's manual."

-and-

"To ensure proper engine break-in, the factory-fill engine oil needs to remain in the engine until the first scheduled maintenance interval.
The factory fill oil is the same as Honda Service Replacement Oil. The difference is the Molybdenum lubricant that is applied to specific internal engine components."

Interesting.

Honda does not recommend the use of synthetic oils as your Honda was designed and engineered based on the oil recommended in your owner's manual.

Honda does not recommend the use of synthetic oils as your Honda was designed and engineered based on the oil recommended in your owner's manual.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Sometimes companies make something out to be a big, fancy calculation when it's not that complicated. Not saying Honda does that, but even if the oil change interval were based on just guesswork using:
engine revolutions
cold starts
warm starts
revolutions at high rpm

That'd be a LOT more accurate at measuring oil life than simply counting mileage. And counting mileage hasn't done horribly for us for a hundred years.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
The MM is a fixed perimeter that changes on what you do. Oil has come along way and because of less sulfur in the gas and better additives the MM is very accurate. It doesn't know when 25000 mile synthetics are added and is based on regular conventional oil which is semi-synthetic any ways. Honda's are not prone to sludge and seen a car in the junk yard 17 years old with 160000 miles and no sludge. We took the valve cover for my sons car and was surprised how clean it was. The cams looked like new and a little additive build up on the aluminum head where no wear happens. It was a Orange color and not that thick. I trust the oil Minder and as long as no oil is missing there is no break down.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Paul56
From the first link:

"Honda does not recommend the use of synthetic oils as your Honda was designed and engineered based on the oil recommended in your owner's manual."
I think this is an example of one dealer using loaded grammar that can be misinterpreted.

Honda does not [recommend synthetic oil], in that there is no statement in the manuals saying "We recommend using synthetic oil"

But it does not [not recommend synthetic oil], in that there is no statement in the manuals saying "We do not recommend(discourage) using synthetic oil".

So there's a difference between does not "recommend"(unstated) and "does not recommend" (discouraged).

Next, lesson on the differences between flammable and inflammable.

Last edited by raytseng; 04-11-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
Leprachauns in the oil from factory... Constantly communicating... non Honda oil depletes leprachaun concentration... MM accuracy decreases... make sure to buy Honda oil...

Old 04-11-2011, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Leprachauns in the oil from factory... Constantly communicating... non Honda oil depletes leprachaun concentration... MM accuracy decreases... make sure to buy Honda oil...
almost haiku-like there

Old 10-30-2011, 07:55 PM
brake adjustment

Originally Posted by rhyneba
I am a senior Service Advisor at a Honda dealer. The following comes from Honda engineering, owners manuals and seeing actual data on the HDS.

The maintenance minder takes into consideration the following:

Average throttle opening
Average speed
Average trip length
Average engine temp
Average ambient air temperature
Average transmission temperature
Average shift points
Etc.

An "A" means an oil change. Not a filter, just oil. Most dealers, mine included, do an oil and filter change. An "A" is almost universally accompanied by a "1" (tire rotation). On most vehicles this averages 7-8k miles but we have seen them as low as 3400 miles on hard-driven Civics with MTs to has high as 11500 miles on AT Fits.

A "B" is an oil and filter change with basic inspections of your brakes, fuel system, undercarriage and other minor adjustments to parking brake or drums. A "B" service occurs every service and has the same interval as an "A"

The numbered services are as follows:

1: Tire rotation (nearly every service except very low mileage oil changes)
2: Replace engine air filter and cabin filter(s) (about every 22-28k miles)
3: Trans fluid replacement (AT or MT) (about every 35-45k miles)
4: Spark plug replacement, valve adjustment and I think something else (105k or so). A "4" service gets a timing belt change if so equipped.
5: Coolant replacement (around 55k).
6: 4WD or AWD Hondas get a rear diff service.

The manual states to replace brake fluid completely (not just the reservoir) every three years regardless of mileage.

I am amongst the group that does not understand how this system is cryptic in any way. This information is listed in every owners manual. If you learn the procedure to reset your maintenance minder, you can even preview what service is coming up before it is displayed by your computer. While you may not agree with intervals it is a very simple system that seems to work well in the vast majority of instances. And as long as you go by it, your warranty is in effect.

HTH,

b
The brakes loosen up quite a bit rather quickly. I'm at ~1000 miles and there's a noticeable difference. How much is too much, and when is a first brake check/minor adjustment usually done?
2011 Honda Fit base
Thanks!

Old 10-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Not sure of your question. Brakes loosen up means what?

Your Fit should love it's brakes for the best part of 50Kmiles.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
I think he means brake adjustment and cleaning. My Fit had 36000 miles and still had more than half at trade in and never had it adjusted or cleaned.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Of course the emergency brake cable (?) has stretched. It seems like I hear the brake itself (left front) disengaging when I let off on the pedal. Maybe the car isn't well insulated and I'm getting supersonic new-car paranoia hearing?!
I need to drive it some more and get used to its sounds! From the get go, the brakes have been a little grabby, but I guess that's just the Fit brakes. My old car had 239,000 miles on it and I was really used to how everything felt on it.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I think he means brake adjustment and cleaning. My Fit had 36000 miles and still had more than half at trade in and never had it adjusted or cleaned.
Do you mean your brakes still had more than half the pads? Or?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Intervals?