General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Downshifting in the Fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
We're going on and on and I don't think the OP even cares or even here anymore...
that's ok. we'll just keep chatting about downshifting and rev matching.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Here's a little something to put us all in the mood.

Be sure to watch the part where he says, "Now I'm going to thry this a little faster...".

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...toe-shift.html

Old 10-05-2011, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Here's a little something to put us all in the mood.

Be sure to watch the part where he says, "Now I'm going to thry this a little faster...".

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...toe-shift.html
heel and toe... reminds me of a conversation with my dad when I stopped in San Diego.

I told him how I was having some trouble with the "hilly-ness" of San Francisco. Namely, I was stuck in traffic on a small uphill street in Chinatown SF. If I didn't have to stop every 5 feet, I'd just punch it and go, but trying to INTENTIONALLY crawl uphill was something I had trouble with.

What did my dad tell me? To heel and toe it.

I'm like... isn't that a drifting move...? And how I was surprised my dad knew it too... hum, did he drift cars for fun in Cambodia or something?

Old 10-06-2011, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
heel and toe... reminds me of a conversation with my dad when I stopped in San Diego.

I told him how I was having some trouble with the "hilly-ness" of San Francisco. Namely, I was stuck in traffic on a small uphill street in Chinatown SF. If I didn't have to stop every 5 feet, I'd just punch it and go, but trying to INTENTIONALLY crawl uphill was something I had trouble with.

What did my dad tell me? To heel and toe it.

I'm like... isn't that a drifting move...? And how I was surprised my dad knew it too... hum, did he drift cars for fun in Cambodia or something?
Hey Goobers, the streets of SF are tough on M/T drivers, even the experienced ones... tougher on the clutch even if you don't have a good hand brake (e-brake).

Your dad's old-school Goobs. I can relate... Heel and toe, clutch feathering, double-clutching... They weren't called tricks back then. They were survival skills you picked up as you drove.

- No ABS, and all drums so you pumped the brakes...
- No synchro mesh, short throw, so you double-clutched...
- No ESC, so you heel and toed for evasive maneuvers... to either get out of the way or squeeze through... the closing window of opportunity
- You feathered the clutch to hang coz you're e-brake (what e-brake? ) didn't work... if you had one...
- You learned controlled-slide driving around corners (now called drifting) coz your tires were all bald...

You didn't have airbags coz you knew all that metal around your "boat" was enough protection...
All in good fun guys... Old-school days...

Old 10-06-2011, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
A whole lot of confusion exists regarding shifting.

Under 'typical daily driving circumstances' a gentle well executed down shift while coming to a stop, and allowing that downshift to slow the car is perfectly acceptable, and with a tuned exhaust 'sweet music'. Allowing a lower gear selection to hold the car back is also in the mix.

Wear and tear on the 'parts' is minimal at best.

Abusive downshifts can lead to damage, however, both to the 'parts' and to driving stability.

Skill is in the understanding of why and when you should down shift.

The given rule is brake first, then down shift.

When you NEED to stop it's all in the brakes.

This is from the renowned performance coach and race car driver Ross Bentley.

Here's the hot skinny: SHIFTING TECHNIQUES

The question is not about whether it is acceptable, but whether it wears out the transmission unnecessarily instead of the brake pads, which are way cheaper to replace. And it DOES!

Hence, someone who care about the long term cost of service, will not downshift to slow the car down with the transmission, but instead will coast down to a stop and brake in the end.

Also, do not press the brakes while the transmission is engaged, you are further wearing out the brake linings as you now brake against the engine that is trying to push the car forward.

You must have learned to drive manual on your own incorrectly or the instructor who taught you was completely unconcerned with the parts wear and enforced "safer" techniques of driving that would apply to general public that does not understand what a clutch does.

It is not a personal attack, it's just that your arguments ignore the issue of wear and tear, which were the key points of the discussion here, but instead focus on "style" and what is "acceptable".

Anything is acceptable, it's your own car... you can even go in second gear on the hwy, no one will tell you anything. But don't claim that that would be "acceptable" and have a "minimal wear on the parts".

And by the way, downshifting is necessary when the vehicle is going downhill and the brakes have inadequate capacity to slow down the vehicle without overheating. Downshifting might also be helpful before a downhill turn where steady pull and traction on the driven wheels will decrease the chances of slipping off the road, however brakes apply force to all 4 wheels vs downshifting that only slows down the driven pair of wheels.

If you had your transmission for the lifetime, you would want to use it only to pull the car which its main purpose, and not use it as a brake.

Bottom line, people who want to prolong the life of their transmissions (AND engines), should avoid engine braking as much as possible and downshifting is definitely one of those practices that wears out the transmissions prematurely.

Last edited by john21031; 10-06-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:18 AM
5 Year Member
Question What?

Originally Posted by john21031
The question is not about whether it is acceptable, but whether it wears out the transmission unnecessarily instead of the brake pads, which are way cheaper to replace. And it DOES!
I beg to differ with your points. "Unnecessarily" is just as much an argument point as "acceptable"... all a matter of reference and preference...

Hence, someone who care about the long term cost of service, will not downshift to slow the car down with the transmission, but instead will coast down to a stop and brake in the end.
Coasting in neutral is not a good "defensive driving" practice.

Also, do not press the brakes while the transmission is engaged, you are further wearing out the brake linings as you now brake against the engine that is trying to push the car forward.
The transmission being engaged is part of having control of the car at all times. Not quite sure how far you're taking your preservation logic. I'm sure if you just drove the tires on ice the whole time, those tires will ast a very long time.

You must have learned to drive manual on your own incorrectly or the instructor who taught you was completely unconcerned with the parts wear and enforced "safer" techniques of driving that would apply to general public that does not understand what a clutch does.
So are you now implying that those of us who elect to and have the skills to drive otherwise have all learned to drive incorrectly and are ignorant of the mechanics of a clutch or oblivious of proper maintenance???

It is not a personal attack, it's just that your arguments ignore the issue of wear and tear, which were the key points of the discussion here, but instead focus on "style" and what is "acceptable".

Anything is acceptable, it's your own car... you can even go in second gear on the hwy, no one will tell you anything. But don't claim that that would be "acceptable" and have a "minimal wear on the parts".
Going in 2nd gear on the hwy is not acceptable... You are not only putting yourself in danger but the rest of us on the road with you. The "your own car" logic is ok by me if the car stays static. Once on a public road, it does become my concern as well. I'd never compromise safety over wear and tear issues.

Downshifting is a matter of skill set and experience, and an option, when circumstances warrant, not a matter of style (my opinion).

Yes, let's not make personal rants of this by being righteous... Let's just agree to disagree... Just my take...

Old 10-06-2011, 12:56 PM

And by the way, downshifting is necessary when the vehicle is going downhill and the brakes have inadequate capacity to slow down the vehicle without overheating. Downshifting might also be helpful before a downhill turn where steady pull and traction on the driven wheels will decrease the chances of slipping off the road, however brakes apply force to all 4 wheels vs downshifting that only slows down the driven pair of wheels.
How about passing? I suppose I should just sit in 5th gear on the higway with my 70hp at 2,500 rpm when i'm passing a big rig on a two lane road?

People who drive manuals like this should just get automatics.

These comments are so stupid I almost think he's trolling.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
How about passing? I suppose I should just sit in 5th gear on the higway with my 70hp at 2,500 rpm when i'm passing a big rig on a two lane road?

People who drive manuals like this should just get automatics.

These comments are so stupid I almost think he's trolling.

Bingo.

10char

Old 10-06-2011, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Well then, I bit hook, line, sinker and half the pole... (burp)

Old 10-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, i heel and toe start going up hill.

for backing out of parking space on an decline i usually just use my e-brake and engage the clutch while disengaging the e-brake. it's just easier for me for some reason as i know for sure im not rolling forward into the tire stop and ruining my front bumper while im looking back. hahaha

Old 10-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by mkane
My experience, the Fit's engine brakeing is minimal.
then you need to...
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Lrn2shft, kthxbai
No hills where i live

I engine brake all day everyday

Kenchan, do you actually like the rev-matching feature on the 370? or do you prefer matching/heel-toeing yourself?

Last edited by SSMTEN; 10-06-2011 at 05:04 PM.