General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Buying a 2012 FIT Sport or Insight EX, newb needs help deciding

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 04:17 AM
Exclamation Buying a 2012 FIT Sport or Insight EX, newb needs help deciding

Looking for opinions to help me decide. Maybe I'm overlooking something that could sway my decision one way or the other. Right now I'm split 50/50 between the two cars.

I was originally looking only at a 2012 Fit Sport Auto and got pricing around $17,500 for one. Went to dealer and saw an EX Insight. Anyways, to make a long story short got the Insight EX down to $19,700 which I think is a killer deal but not sure. So now its pretty much a coin toss between the two. One thing to note is that I have yet to drive either car so that may be the deciding factor.

The EX seems like the better value at this price point. It feels like a more substantial car, seems roomier, has more bells and whistles (fake leather seats, bluetooth, heated mirrors), and is a hybrid. The cons I see with the EX are styling (not really a fan of the hybrid wedge look) and lower power than the Fit.

I really like the Fit's exterior styling and also prefer the instrument layout over the Insight. But I'm not sure thats enough to choose it over the Insight.

Again, I have yet to drive either car and until then I'de like to hear others opinions on this situation, especially those who have driven an Insight.

What would you buy given the same choice? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by importriders; 12-12-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member
My mom has an insight that I used to drive regularly. I hated that god awful thing. Felt like it was powered by hamsters running around a wheel. 0-60 in maybe 12 seconds if you were lucky. Even though I somehow managed to drag race it into a ticket of 60 in a 45

If you're going to be doing a lot of stop and go city/traffic driving. I'd get the insight. The hybrid absolutely excels at that as long as you use the electric motor only. But hell the insight excels against the fit in mpg anywheres. And lets face it, neither is a terribly quick car if your going with an A/T for both.

If you're going M/T for the Fit then it's a hella lot peppier than the insight. I've done a 0-40 just messing around against my mom in her insight. Fit one by a good bit starting from 2nd gear if that tells you anything.

I do like the insight interior a little, It feels slightly more luxury with the automatic ac and a few other features but I still prefer my fit just for the room, more power, and overall more rewarding drive.

Edit: shite just read that you were looking at the AT for both. In that case they are both pretty much slow and not much difference except maybe a seconds or two. It all basically comes down to your needs for the vehicle in this case. If you need the most optimal MPG i'd get the insight. Mom regularly gets 47 mpg on her 60 mile daily commute and she does about 75-80 mph average. I get about 32 when I do that but I have a MT which has a shorter final gear than the AT so not a great comparison.

I'd still get the fit though just for the better looks (with a slight suspension drop ), the more spacious interior, and the overall styling.

Good luck with your decision making!

Last edited by Jamy; 12-12-2011 at 04:36 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Depends on your commute and if you need to haul around a lot of stuff. If you want more mpgs and sacrifice on utility and some driving fun then get the insight. If you like to haul around a lot of stuff and don't mind sacrificing some mpgs then get the Fit. Drive them back to back and you'll decide.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jamy
My mom has an insight that I used to drive regularly. I hated that god awful thing. Felt like it was powered by hamsters running around a wheel. 0-60 in maybe 12 seconds if you were lucky. Even though I somehow managed to drag race it into a ticket of 60 in a 45

If you're going to be doing a lot of stop and go city/traffic driving. I'd get the insight. The hybrid absolutely excels at that as long as you use the electric motor only. But hell the insight excels against the fit in mpg anywheres. And lets face it, neither is a terribly quick car if your going with an A/T for both.

If you're going M/T for the Fit then it's a hella lot peppier than the insight. I've done a 0-40 just messing around against my mom in her insight. Fit one by a good bit starting from 2nd gear if that tells you anything.

I do like the insight interior a little, It feels slightly more luxury with the automatic ac and a few other features but I still prefer my fit just for the room, more power, and overall more rewarding drive.

Edit: shite just read that you were looking at the AT for both. In that case they are both pretty much slow and not much difference except maybe a seconds or two. It all basically comes down to your needs for the vehicle in this case. If you need the most optimal MPG i'd get the insight. Mom regularly gets 47 mpg on her 60 mile daily commute and she does about 75-80 mph average. I get about 32 when I do that but I have a MT which has a shorter final gear than the AT so not a great comparison.

I'd still get the fit though just for the better looks (with a slight suspension drop ), the more spacious interior, and the overall styling.

Good luck with your decision making!
Thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted by adolan21
Depends on your commute and if you need to haul around a lot of stuff. If you want more mpgs and sacrifice on utility and some driving fun then get the insight. If you like to haul around a lot of stuff and don't mind sacrificing some mpgs then get the Fit. Drive them back to back and you'll decide.
My commute is pretty short so the MPG thing is not really a reason I'm buying the Insight. I'm really torn because it seems like I'm getting a good deal on the EX and it just feels (sitting inside one) like a nicer more "luxurious" car for the money. But yeah I really do have to drive both.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
My 2 cents... did it occur to you that the deal on the Insight is an indication of weak customer demand for the car, thus why dealers are more willing to negotiate and lower the price on it?

Old 12-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by neteng101
My 2 cents... did it occur to you that the deal on the Insight is an indication of weak customer demand for the car, thus why dealers are more willing to negotiate and lower the price on it?
Yup I sure did. But its hard to coorelate that with any real reason. Insight got good reviews and seems to be a solid vehicle. It may just be a bad marketing campaign or the Prius just has the lions share of the market. I doubt lackluster sales of the Insight are due to the car itself...but who knows.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:27 PM
I actually got to drive an Insight EX today and kind of liked it. But they were asking just under $22k for it. If they offered me $19.7k then I'd take it over the Fit Sport AT.

I drove the Prius-c just 20 minutes later. It didn't wow me but it seemed to have some qualities that I liked over the Insight.

I'm not so sure which of these three I'd really consider for replacing our third car. It would completely depend on what kind of deal I'd get. The fallback position would be to buy yet another Fit Sport.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
These 2 cars are vastly different. Try to focus on the qualities you want in your new car and forget about the discount on the Insight until you do.

For example: Do you need to carry cargo? If so, the Fit wins by far.

Also, keep in mind that you can upgrade the Fit with the money you would save. If you like bluetooth, you can install a much better stereo with bluetooth 4.0. Or you could change the interior with that money. Maybe a custom leather interior?

When it comes down to it though go drive them both and don't let the dealer trick you with the hidden fees and low ball trade-in offers.

Oh and have fun!

Old 03-09-2012, 08:56 PM
The Fit is "quirky cool" for sure and the mileage is great, that would be my pic but then again, I'm biased

Old 03-13-2012, 03:22 PM
You will eventually have to shell out 4k to replace the hybrids battery. My friend work's at Honda as an electrical mechanic. He thinks hybrids are a waste. There was a civic hybrid with 40k miles on it and the battery had to be replaced.

Plus the hit has more space and more room for more people and stuff.

I wanted the CRZ, but im not a fan of the number of passengers it holds.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:40 PM
I ride in my cousin's insight regularly. Its roomier and nicer on the inside in general. The fit is sportier and more utilitarian.

Personally, I prefer the Fit because its more fun to drive/doesnt have a gay cvt transmission.