General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

MT Clutchless Shifting w/ Engine Off

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:01 PM
MT Clutchless Shifting w/ Engine Off

I normally park in neutral and use the E brakes. But on hills, I put the car in gear after tuurming the engine off. When I do this, I don't use the clutch. I assume since the engine is not moving, this should be ok , right?

Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
I think it should be alright since the engine is off BUT don't take my word for it though.

The clutch's main function is to of course disconnect/connect the flywheel (which is connected to the engine via the crankshaft) while it rotates in order to shift gear... so in theory, since the engine is off (flywheel not rotating) I think it would be ok when stationary.

I'm not completely sure about the synchronizers for the gears though.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Its safe because the engine is off so the synchronizers are not moving. Just dont force it because it will bent the shifting forks if the gears are not aligned. Reverse is gear you want to be in too.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:34 PM
I would just take the added 5 seconds to push in the clutch just to be safe IMO

Old 01-22-2012, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Its safe because the engine is off so the synchronizers are not moving. Just dont force it because it will bent the shifting forks if the gears are not aligned. Reverse is gear you want to be in too.
Pretty much any gear would be fine. The car isn't going to be moving with the engine engaged unless a lot of force is applied. 2nd or 4th to be safe, but it would take a good bit to move it.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Skyburst
I normally park in neutral and use the E brakes. But on hills, I put the car in gear after tuurming the engine off. When I do this, I don't use the clutch. I assume since the engine is not moving, this should be ok , right?
I would strongly recommend you put the car in 1st or reverse when you park the car rather than neutral (old school habit/point of view, added prevention and peace of mind).

But as SB mentioned, don't force it into gear. Yes, theoretically, you should be able to shift into any gear when the engine is not running but I find the extra step of depressing the clutch while shifting into gear (1st or reverse) usually gets it done. Just my take...

Old 01-23-2012, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
I would also definitely leave it in either 1st or Reverse, depending on which way the car would roll easier (forwards (R) or backwards (1st)). Even if the ground is completely flat, I'd leave it in gear...just seems like the smart thing to do.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Skyburst
if the lever goes into the gate without force, then no issue. just dont force anything.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
Pretty much any gear would be fine. The car isn't going to be moving with the engine engaged unless a lot of force is applied. 2nd or 4th to be safe, but it would take a good bit to move it.
Actually reverse is the preferred gear because its a gear that doesn't get a lot of use and its has a high gear ratio. Most car manufactures made manuals with a lock out that you have to put it in reverse to get the key out. I have read that 1st gear would be OK but I would not use it because you use that gear a lot and the extra wear that could happen over time.

Using the clutch does nothing when the engine is off except wear the pressure plate and throw out bearing. The synchronizers are either line up or not so dont force it. I used to drive a 10 speed trans and bent forks where a big problem when drivers did not shift right because they slip seated and they did not care so they would grind the gears and force it into gear. They have dog gears which is different and the clutch is only used to start off or back up. You would line up the gears with the throttle.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
Good point SB. Reverse it is. Depressing the clutch works for me when it won't shift into gear right away. Sometimes going to 1st then reverse does the job.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:47 PM
I always leave it in gear when parked, been using reverse for some reason the past 30+ years.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
Good point SB. Reverse it is. Depressing the clutch works for me when it won't shift into gear right away. Sometimes going to 1st then reverse does the job.
Using reverse is old I learned that in '79 when a friend had a Z28 and it had a reverse lock out. That was my first engine experience and would be considered slow compared to the new technologies.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Using reverse is old I learned that in '79 when a friend had a Z28 and it had a reverse lock out. That was my first engine experience and would be considered slow compared to the new technologies.
I use both, 1st and reverse, mostly reverse.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
If I remeber right, the gear ratio for first and reverse is the same in the fit. So either will work as well as the other. I always put it in first, even when parking flat. My driveway is steep and I use to have to park on the hill part when we had more cars so I am in the habbit of strongarming the e-break and putting it in park or first.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
if the lever goes into the gate without force, then no issue. just dont force anything.
Seconded. Any extra wear from using a certain gear while parked shouldn't make a difference in the life of the car. Not that it's necessarily a bad idea.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:12 PM
I usually leave mine in 3rd. Its just the easiest to slide into real quick as Im coming to a stop or getting out of the car.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
I've tried to put the car in gear on my gf's Jeep Cherokee without the clutch (engine off) and it just doesn't work. Clutch in, no problem. So I'm not quite sure I understand what's going on there. I've also read some concern that if you were able to overcome the force of the engine, i.e. parked on a very steep hill, it might not be the greatest of things if it caused the engine to move in reverse, say if you were parked head up and in 1st. Any thoughts there?

Old 02-10-2012, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by komafit
I've tried to put the car in gear on my gf's Jeep Cherokee without the clutch (engine off) and it just doesn't work. Clutch in, no problem. So I'm not quite sure I understand what's going on there. I've also read some concern that if you were able to overcome the force of the engine, i.e. parked on a very steep hill, it might not be the greatest of things if it caused the engine to move in reverse, say if you were parked head up and in 1st. Any thoughts there?
Don't know about the Jeep. Maybe there's a mechanical shift-lock mechanism. I'm coming from the old-school thought process where the idea of leaving an MT in the tallest gears (1st or rev) when parked is for the added extra step of preventing the vehicle from freewheeling (cutting loose) when parked, specially on an incline. To somewhat aid the e-brake instead of added pressure. I've driven cars with non-functioning e-brakes... way back when... vintage '57 Chevys where it was a pull-up on, twist-push down off T-handle. So you leave the car in gear... if you want it to be there when you get back... Sometimes looking for rocks to chock the tires with...

So if a cars breaks loose while in the opposite gear when parked in an incline, the tranny/car would be the last of your worries... Ouch!

Old 02-10-2012, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
The higher your park gear, the more likely it will roll away. It's just the nature of gearing. You can actually push a car that's parked in 5th. So I always park in first (although I'm sure second or reverse is also fine).

The clutch only helps when the wheels and/or engine is spinning. Gears grind because the drivetrain (wheel) side and engine side spin at different speeds. When the car is stopped, there is no motion whatsoever (both the engine and drivetrain are the same speed), so the clutch is absolutely pointless.

I do agree that if you feel like you have to force it into gear, please don't. It can damage the synchro-mesh gears (over repeated abuse). Shift it into second and then into first and it should line up.

Despite all I've said, I think I probably do still press the clutch pedal while I am parked (out of habit), but there's absolutely no reason to do so.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by larrymcewin
The higher your park gear, the more likely it will roll away. It's just the nature of gearing. You can actually push a car that's parked in 5th. So I always park in first (although I'm sure second or reverse is also fine).

The clutch only helps when the wheels and/or engine is spinning. Gears grind because the drivetrain (wheel) side and engine side spin at different speeds. When the car is stopped, there is no motion whatsoever (both the engine and drivetrain are the same speed), so the clutch is absolutely pointless.

I do agree that if you feel like you have to force it into gear, please don't. It can damage the synchro-mesh gears (over repeated abuse). Shift it into second and then into first and it should line up.

Despite all I've said, I think I probably do still press the clutch pedal while I am parked (out of habit), but there's absolutely no reason to do so.
First and Reverse both have the same gear ratio. You use first gear more so more wear, Its your choice but I used reverse.

Quick Reply: MT Clutchless Shifting w/ Engine Off