General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Why does the Sport get worse fuel economy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Why does the Sport get worse fuel economy?

I'm talking about the automatic here. None of the usual culprits apply - lots of added weight, different (more sporty) gear ratios, aero differences. Can't really figure it out. I'm thinking possibly just the frequency with which it chooses to downshift. There is not much more I can think of... if any thoughts I would be curious. As of yet I've not even finished one tank of gas so clearly fuel economy isn't too important yet, but, I do tend to be interested in it!

Old 05-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
I'm talking about the automatic here. None of the usual culprits apply - lots of added weight, different (more sporty) gear ratios, aero differences. Can't really figure it out. I'm thinking possibly just the frequency with which it chooses to downshift. There is not much more I can think of... if any thoughts I would be curious. As of yet I've not even finished one tank of gas so clearly fuel economy isn't too important yet, but, I do tend to be interested in it!
I think its just the weight difference. If you want to get good mpgs. just get up to the speed limit at a moderate pace ( dont baby it) , look at your mpg readout, and try to keep it as close to 40+ as possible. No passing No speeding No downshifting (upshifts are ok though). I do all that in my MT and I get 33mpg city 37 mpg Hwy

Old 05-30-2012, 02:35 PM
IIRC final drive ratio is different between base and sport automatic. The base has longer gears for better fuel economy, so performance suffers as a result.

The sports are a little bit heavier when they're loaded with amenities but not by much. The biggest weight difference between trims comes between MT and AT.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
I get 31-33 city and close to 40 highway (if I keep it to 40-50 mph) on my 2010 Sport AT. The Fit gets better mpg as it ages.. I started getting much better mpg at around 10K miles.

Last edited by sooznd; 05-30-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
The difference in weight and rolling resistance between the wheel/tires used on the different models would make some difference.... Take a beach cruiser type of bicycle for a ride followed by a ride on a bike with lighter wheels and lower cross section tires and you'll be amazed by the difference.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 05-30-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
I know the automatics and manuals have different gear ratios but didn't think the Bases and the Sports did. I was under the impression they were identical mechanically. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Best ways to ensure best fuel economy.
-drive smoothly. gain and lose speed smoothly and gradually if possible.
- check that tires are properly inflated.
- use the a/c and accessories sparingly.
- use quality fuels/oils
- make sure to get scheduled service done. (either by yourself or a professional)
- don't carry around a lot of excess weight in the car.

If these don't help...then you're probably like me and can't stay away from the skinny pedal.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by GoFits
I know the automatics and manuals have different gear ratios but didn't think the Bases and the Sports did. I was under the impression they were identical mechanically. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
I didn't remember correctly, you're right, they have the same transaxle. I thought the Sport had a different trans bc of the paddle shifters, i've lost some respect for them now

Other than that, the only difference is aero, wheels and weight (to the tune of only about 40 to 50 lbs depending on options).

It's only advertised 1-2 mpg difference isn't it? Maybe the combination of the factors make it true?

Old 05-30-2012, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
I think I'm going to go with, the transmission logic is tuned for slightly higher rpm upshifts and more likely downshifts for any given speed and throttle position. But who knows ... it could be the two models have different tire brands or wear characteristics (the sport is treadwear 340 looks like). Or a combination of factors as people mentioned. Or something as simple as a higher-resistance gas pedal return spring, hehe!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:41 PM
The aero is different. If the spoiler sticks up into the airstream creating any downforce, that would do it alone. The sideskirts and lip should help aero. The tires are bigger and wider (thus, also heavier) also possibe of making the difference by itself.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:48 AM
Well the main reason us sport drivers get lesser gas mileage is our Balls are riding shotgun....!

HA!

Much love my Freakers,

FB

Old 06-10-2012, 03:23 PM
possible diff

Originally Posted by krunk13
I think its just the weight difference. If you want to get good mpgs. just get up to the speed limit at a moderate pace ( dont baby it) , look at your mpg readout, and try to keep it as close to 40+ as possible. No passing No speeding No downshifting (upshifts are ok though). I do all that in my MT and I get 33mpg city 37 mpg Hwy
The sport fit is set up with wider tires and though they make it much more stable cause drag as more tire is in contact with the ground. Having never driven a base model I cant say if the power is different as if all things were equal the stripped model would be lighter and out perform the heavier loaded model. The plastic doesn't weigh enough to make a significant difference though.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
This is a good point. The Sport tires are 10mm wider: (Base vs Sport): 175 / 65 R15 84S vs 185 / 55 R16 83. I had checked this but missed picking up on it, I would think this would actually make a difference at highway speeds ... unfortunately the fact that the manual base and sport models get the same MPG sort of works against this thought :/

Old 07-16-2012, 12:56 PM
What I'm surprised with is how much Honda downsized the tires from GD to GE, 195 and 205 to 175 and 185!

Old 07-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Fujisawa, the fuel mileage numbers are always based on the base model unless the sport model is offered with an optional engine configuration. The sport model along with different tire sizes also has aprx 50 lbs of additional weight with the various additional parts, not much but it is there. as to the tire size change was that not due to the law suit over the inaccurate speedometer/fuel mileage complaint?

Old 07-17-2012, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Wider, heavier wheels and tires will allow you to hold a line through a curve at higher speed but your top speed, acceleration and fuel mileage is going to noticeably suffer.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by west coast fit
Fujisawa, the fuel mileage numbers are always based on the base model unless the sport model is offered with an optional engine configuration. The sport model along with different tire sizes also has aprx 50 lbs of additional weight with the various additional parts, not much but it is there. as to the tire size change was that not due to the law suit over the inaccurate speedometer/fuel mileage complaint?
That's the general guideline, except that the Sport doesn't have an optional engine yet it does have lower EPA estimates on the Honda site. But it's a good point and might be a clue - maybe because of the different transmission logic Honda feels they want to list is separately.

I don't know about any tire change / lawsuit issues.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:16 AM
Here's some insight into the (lack of) testing for fuel economy/mpg #s.

Lies, Damned Lies and Fuel Economy Numbers

"In reality, the EPA employs only about 20 staffers – less than 0.1-percent of its staff – at its Ann Arbor, Michigan outpost to run those tests and they process barely 15-percent of all the new vehicles that come to market each year. For the rest, they take the manufacturers at their word, though random testing – much like the more extensive screening travelers occasionally experience at the airport – is intended to keep everyone honest."

Old 07-24-2012, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Correct although, I actually view Honda as more honest than some. That's why they have low EPA numbers but don't tend to disappoint their owners in real-world situations. Usually

Old 07-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Banned
5 Year Member
Correct although, I actually view Honda as more honest than some. That's why they have low EPA numbers but don't tend to disappoint their owners in real-world situations. Usually
What this guy said

Old 07-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Besides the whole lawsuit over the Civic hybrid incident?

Honda Civic Lawsuit - California

Quick Reply: Why does the Sport get worse fuel economy?