General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Any ex-200+ hp Fit Freaks here?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
Oddly enough i've gone from a 91 240sx with a modded SR20DET in it. To a new fit. Back to the honda camp, don't think i want another nissan again.
Originally Posted by kos
Hi guys,
I've been lurking for awhile now, I've really enjoyed this forum and everyone seems fantastically helpful.

Anyways, I don't mean the title to sound egotistical in any way - I'm considering trading my 2001 lude in for a Honda Fit. I was wondering whether other members have gone from a 200hp (or more) car to the Fit and found it disappointing.

Before I give the impression that I'm an HP maniac, one of the reasons that I'm considering the change is that I'd like better fuel mileage and I certainly don't use the full potential of the lude. I barely rev it past 5000 (VTEC maybe once every 2 weeks) and I usually stay in 5th when passing on the highway (usually at around 3-4k RPM). Will the FIT be painfully slower? Or does it adequately pass other cars at 70+mph (obviously requiring a downshift which I don't mind) ? I should also add that I'd appreciate it if users tell me whether they ended up with a fit manual or sport auto.

Any info would be really appreciated, thanks guys. This would help my decision-making process.

Again, great community!

Brian

Old 09-12-2006, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Just what I needed, a commiseration thread! I come from an autox background, and my current car is an EVO MR. Great car, but the cost of ownership is too high for me; I need to reduce expenses. I've "taken a break" from autoxing and am deciding between the Fit and Yaris. Can a former autoxer be content with the Fit? Will the drive-by-wire throttle drive me nuts (I refuse to consider an auto tranny)?

Old 09-12-2006, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
No the drive by wire isn't very annoying really, their is no delayed response, infact if anything it responds quicker then a normal drive by cable configuration. The stock fit is fun, the fit with a simple I/E and minor suspension work, plus decent wheels and tires would be a blast to drive, while retaining overall low cost of ownership (i.e. fuel mileage, reliability , e.t.c.)
Originally Posted by glockprime
Just what I needed, a commiseration thread! I come from an autox background, and my current car is an EVO MR. Great car, but the cost of ownership is too high for me; I need to reduce expenses. I've "taken a break" from autoxing and am deciding between the Fit and Yaris. Can a former autoxer be content with the Fit? Will the drive-by-wire throttle drive me nuts (I refuse to consider an auto tranny)?

Old 09-12-2006, 10:43 PM
My current DD probably put a bit more down on the road than your 'lude, given the 'lude has more HP than torque.

Right now, I'd estimate at the crank, my Tiburon is putting out at or just shy of 200hp and at or just shy of 200ft-lb torque.

I mostly don't stomp on it very much, and in my normal driving, I don't quite rev it to it's peak (about 4400rpm), so given that, I bet being in the Fit (when I get mine), I might miss it when I put the pedal down, but under normal driving situations, I'll be able to match acceleration.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:44 PM
I'd say with how well the Fit is reputed to handle... an autoxer would enjoy it thoroughly!

Old 09-13-2006, 01:56 PM
I find the steering (electric) to be a bit too responsive at first, than say my Accord: BUT it is great and easy to get used to. Check out the comparisons with the Yaris and I think you'll like the Fit: drive one if you can find one.
...let us know

Old 09-13-2006, 02:51 PM
i had a 93 prelude and traded it in on the Fit, although i do miss having the power sometimes, the car is still quick to get around in, and with less wieght its just as good in the corners

Old 09-13-2006, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
I'll be going from my 5MT Stage 2 WRX wagon to a Fit Sport (probably AT) in the near future. I love the power and AWD of my car, but I'm sure I'm going to like the space, lower cost, and 87-octane of the Fit. My first few cars were Hondas, and I'm excited about coming back home.

-Mike

Old 09-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Suppose I'll make this my first post. Have been driving a new Storm Silver Sport AT for about 2 wks now. My very first 'new' car...those that preceded it are as follows:

95 Civic EX Coupe (only had intake silencer rmv'd along w/ Magnaflow exhaust, otherwise stock)

94 Mustang GT (stock)

My first, a 66 Mustang Fastback, warmed up 289 (was actually faster than the 94!)

So as you can see, I've gone DOWN in HP with each car I've driven. I find that driving the Fit is very enjoyable, with great responsive handling. The fact that it is low on power contributes to the fun of driving it...one almost has to 'think' ahead and concentrate on the next move in order to drive it effectively. I've seen some negative comments on S mode. I use this mode almost exclusively for city driving, and find that keeping RPMs a bit higher, yet keeping the engine relatively unloaded, helps to negate the sluggishness that otherwise makes this car feel 'slow'. With this driving style, I knocked down 35 mpgs at my first fill-up.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Wow, I'm in a similar situation. Insurance, car payment, maintenance, and gas is a bit on the high side and I don't even the drive Evo 9 much. I bought the car in waiting for my beater to die and suprisingly 10months later, the beater(97' Maxima 225k miles) still lives. I'm thinking about selling but I feel like I will regret the power and handling adrenaline rush the Evo delivers especially when carving through the Tail of the Dragon.

On the financial side, I would rather have a $2xx car note rather than a $5xx payment. And 30+mpg sounds better than 19mpg. Wow, I don't know what to do. My wife and I are planning to have kids soon so I guess the most logical thing to do, would be to sell the garage queen. Athough I must say that my wife enjoys the car as much as I do.

Last edited by Dingleberry; 09-13-2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by sonorliteman
Suppose I'll make this my first post. Have been driving a new Storm Silver Sport AT for about 2 wks now. My very first 'new' car...those that preceded it are as follows:

95 Civic EX Coupe (only had intake silencer rmv'd along w/ Magnaflow exhaust, otherwise stock)

94 Mustang GT (stock)

My first, a 66 Mustang Fastback, warmed up 289 (was actually faster than the 94!)

So as you can see, I've gone DOWN in HP with each car I've driven. I find that driving the Fit is very enjoyable, with great responsive handling. The fact that it is low on power contributes to the fun of driving it...one almost has to 'think' ahead and concentrate on the next move in order to drive it effectively. I've seen some negative comments on S mode. I use this mode almost exclusively for city driving, and find that keeping RPMs a bit higher, yet keeping the engine relatively unloaded, helps to negate the sluggishness that otherwise makes this car feel 'slow'. With this driving style, I knocked down 35 mpgs at my first fill-up.
Sonorliteman: I had a 78 Mustang 5L (the first body from the Pinto-Tang) w Edelbrock manifold, 4bbl (had three dif types I would change out), rebuilt manual tranny, limited slip dif, Eagle GT tyres etc. AND my 2000 Accord V6 coupe has more usable horsepower! But I really miss rear wheel drive!

Old 09-14-2006, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by docjim2
Sonorliteman: I had a 78 Mustang 5L (the first body from the Pinto-Tang) w Edelbrock manifold, 4bbl (had three dif types I would change out), rebuilt manual tranny, limited slip dif, Eagle GT tyres etc. AND my 2000 Accord V6 coupe has more usable horsepower! But I really miss rear wheel drive!
I know what you mean! But in fairness, the early fox bodies weren't really that great as far as power. My 94 GT had great torque, but was really choked up at the top end (beyond 5k).

What I love about the Honda platform (and most others these days) is the efficiency of the engine and the utilization of power across the engine's operating range. But there will always be a special place for the Ford small block...hope to get another old one when my sons get old enough to drive.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, so I did some really quick number crunching to see if it's really worth selling the EVO MR and buying a Fit. Used approximate and conservative numbers. If something doesn't make sense, viewing the formula should explain it I hope.
http://www.heronbaytaskforce.org/misc/compare.xls

Old 09-14-2006, 01:31 PM
Someone that Posts too much
00 ITR!! Dude why you gave it up?

those are hot cars in more ways than one

Old 09-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Intake
exhaust
pulley

Picture is bonestock but now has T/P, catback and lowered on espelir springs. AEM CAI is next.

Last edited by GoFit; 09-14-2006 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:36 PM
sorry for the huge pics

Last edited by GoFit; 09-14-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:58 PM
gofit how reliable is the Mini?
Jus' curious

Old 09-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Oops! sorry.... I don't have that MINI cooper S anymore. But to answer your question, i didn't have any problem when i had it. There was a service bulletin though, it's for the windshield cracking due to stress, though i'm sure that had been corrected cause this was in 03. On a side note, the MINI-S is so much fun to drive. I had other cars too but only posted the most fun cars i own/owned. Had an EVO VIII with stage 1 from AMS and that didn't make the list hehe.

Last edited by GoFit; 09-14-2006 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by GoFit
Oops! sorry.... I don't have that MINI cooper S anymore. But to answer your question, i didn't have any problem when i had it. There was a service bulletin though, it's for the windshield cracking due to stress, though i'm sure that had been corrected cause this was in 03. On a side note, the MINI-S is so much fun to drive. I had other cars too but only posted the most fun cars i own/owned. Had an EVO VIII with stage 1 from AMS and that didn't make the list hehe.
A friend in Denver recently bought a Mini-S. He let me drive it while we were on vacation there. Even at 8k ft and 4 people in the car, it ran really well. This drive alone has inspired me to keep an eye out for a Fit supercharger. I think the Fit would be equally as fun under ~ 6-8 lbs.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by sonorliteman
A friend in Denver recently bought a Mini-S. He let me drive it while we were on vacation there. Even at 8k ft and 4 people in the car, it ran really well. This drive alone has inspired me to keep an eye out for a Fit supercharger. I think the Fit would be equally as fun under ~ 6-8 lbs.
Waiting on a S/C as well

Quick Reply: Any ex-200+ hp Fit Freaks here?