General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Need some info Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 03:51 AM
Need some info Please

Looking at buying a 2012 Fit.

Need to know real MPG numbers other than what the dealer is telling me.

What are members here getting with the Auto transmission: city __ Hwy ___

What are members here getting with the 5 SPD transmission: city___ Hwy __

Thanks alot for all of your help in advance, as I do alot of driving per year and need to get the most out of each gallon.

Or does the 2013 get better MPG results ????

Old 12-15-2012, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
I get about 32/39 in my AT Sport

Old 12-15-2012, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
A couple of things; First, don't listen to the dealer they will tell you anything to make the sale. Second, there are so many variables that affect your mileage, no one is gong to be able to give you an accurate number. Suggest you check out this current thread for some insight. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/64254-quest-40-mpg.html

Old 12-15-2012, 10:31 AM
You'll get more accurate information if you look on a site such as Fuelly. It doesn't currently let you slice and dice by transmission type, but many people put that in their descriptions.

What milage you get depends very heavily on how and under what conditions you drive. I've averaged just about exactly 40 mpg thus far with my 2012 base MT, basically all highway driving. My commute happens to be nearly ideal for decent milage: 25 minutes of mostly 40-50 mph driving, with a grand total of only three lights and zero stop signs.

The 2013 is identical to the 2012 (aside from one paint color change), so the milage won't be any different from year to year.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
I have a 2012 Sport M/T not sure city vs highway but my averagres has been a low of 30.6 combine with Kayaks and a high of 34.8. Consumer Reports rates cars on fuel economy there is two or three smaller gas cars get maybe 1 or 2 miles to the gallon better. The rest are hybrids or diesels that do not really get much better but are higher priced.

The Most Fuel-Efficient Cars | Best Cars for Gas - Consumer Reports

Last edited by cjecpa; 12-17-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Depending on which route I take to work, with the 5MT, I can average 32 and up to 36-37 with 205s that are stickier than stock. With stock tires, it was easy to average in the upper 30s, and I've gone well into the 40s on a fairly long round trip before with a little hypermilling.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
With my 2012 Sport A/T I normally average about 35 with a 80/20 hwy/city mix. The lowest I've ever gotten on a tank was 32 (mostly city, idling, and horsing around a little) and the highest was 38 (all interstate with cruise set at 70mph). These are all calculated values. The readout on the dash seems to be pretty accurate, but about 1mpg high consistently.

-Dustin

Old 12-16-2012, 12:57 PM
2012 MT. A high of 40.5 on a 500 mile trip in June, average is 34 using winter blend fuel and we have a 5 mile long dirt driveway thats very rolling should I say. We are spirited drivers to say the least. Wifes 08' MT averages 34 mpg. Shes a commuter, 70 miles daily.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the mileage results ! I currently have a CR-V and it has re-taught me how to drive with my right foot; I really watch the MPG readings.

I also have a Mini S and I drive that car like I'm alittle old man, very easy on the gas and can't get better than 33- 35 on the flat. Since this car requires premium gas it most likely will be replaced by the Fit; I Hope.

My wife hates the look of both cars but I believe the Honda is the way to go.

Now I have to choose a 2011-2012 or wait for the new model due in 2014 ???

I'm leaning towards the new 2014 model and hopefully Honda re-thinks the gears so that little engine does not have to rev up so high on the highway . . . . . .

Old 12-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Banned
The A/T Fits turn at significantly lower rpm at freeway speeds of 65+ mph. Five years ago, I moved my mother from Gardnerville, NV, to NC. Prior to that, I drove my '07 Sport Auto Fit from my home near San Jose, CA, over the Sierras on Hwy. 50 several times per year. I also drive aggressively, and on my Gardnerville trips, I would pass EVERYONE from Placerville to So. Lake Tahoe, just to be sure that I led the parade on every incline and every curve. I did exactly the same thing on the trips back to CA. That is sea- level to 7000 ft. elevation, and back again. My average mileage on those trips was 34 mpg. I have not made that trip again in my 2009 Sport Auto Fit, but around here south of San Jose, the mileage for combined city/hwy with most of it being on two-lane mountain roads with 10 mph curves, A/T mileage runs between 30-36 mpg.

I bought A/T Fits because I broke my left leg twice, and was very glad to be able to stick my cast under the dash and still get around in my trucks and SUV's. When I bought the first Fit, I liked the comfort of the A/T in our heavy traffic, and the fun of the sequential paddle shifter for mountain driving.

Oh, one other thing. My mom used to live in the housing development near the golf course, and to get there I would turn off southbound Hwy. 395 at the 7-11 store (turning right to get into the neighborhoods). Depending on what year Fit you wind up buying, your area WILL demand a horn upgrade. In my '07 Fit with the wimpy "meep-meep" horn, I was turning left onto Hwy. 395 from that 7-11 store, and my lane on the side road had two lanes for the left turn onto 395. I was in the right lane, with a big SUV next to me in the leftmost of the two left turn lanes. The light changed, I cruised into the left turn, and the dumb-ass in the SUV decided to just drift into my car without even looking. I leaned on the horn with absolutely no result- I was forced to pass the ass-clown on the shoulder.

In YOUR area, the manual trans. would probably be fine for most situations. But you won't sacrifice very much, if anything at all, with the A/T. If most of your driving is on Hwy. 395, the A/T will be better on mpg (unless you are always fighting roaring headwinds going up the valley).

I kind of miss Carson City for shopping. We don't have that huge amount of retail outlets and restaurants all in one, easy to get to, neighborhood around here.

Last edited by Triskelion; 12-16-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mkane
... average is 34 using winter blend fuel and we have a 5 mile long dirt driveway thats very rolling should I say. We are spirited drivers to say the least. Wifes 08' MT averages 34 mpg. Shes a commuter, 70 miles daily.
I have no clue how a lot of you FF-ers are getting the mileage you're getting. I have a 2010 Fit Sport and I've been lucky to get 30 MPG -- most of the time more like 27 mpg -- the entire time I've owned mine. And that's even when babying or driving like a little old lady.

If I were that type of sue-everything-in-sight freak, I would probably have filed a class action lawsuit against Honda for exaggerating the Fit's fuel economy long ago. I've even read articles in online car mags (Edmonds, etc.) stating the Fit's gas mileage was nowhere near what Honda disingenuously claims it to be. So I'm not the only one who's gotten poor -- less than Honda claims -- results.

Bottom line? Again, I have no clue how some of you are reporting the incredible gas mileage you're reporting.

Unless you're all just terrible at math!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Conversely, you could just be a terrible driver.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8
I have no clue how a lot of you FF-ers are getting the mileage you're getting. I have a 2010 Fit Sport and I've been lucky to get 30 MPG -- most of the time more like 27 mpg -- the entire time I've owned mine. And that's even when babying or driving like a little old lady.

If I were that type of sue-everything-in-sight freak, I would probably have filed a class action lawsuit against Honda for exaggerating the Fit's fuel economy long ago. I've even read articles in online car mags (Edmonds, etc.) stating the Fit's gas mileage was nowhere near what Honda disingenuously claims it to be. So I'm not the only one who's gotten poor -- less than Honda claims -- results.

Bottom line? Again, I have no clue how some of you are reporting the incredible gas mileage you're reporting.

Unless you're all just terrible at math!
That does sound unusual. Like I mentioned, the lowest I've ever gotten on a tank was 32 MPG and that was calculated at the fill up. The only way I could see ever getting below 30 would be driving like a madman or having a ton of stop and go driving with lots of idling. It sounds like there's something else maybe going on with yours.

-Dustin

Old 12-17-2012, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mkane
2012 MT. A high of 40.5 on a 500 mile trip in June, average is 34 using winter blend fuel and we have a 5 mile long dirt driveway thats very rolling should I say. We are spirited drivers to say the least. Wifes 08' MT averages 34 mpg. Shes a commuter, 70 miles daily.
I really like the look of the tires on yours mkane. Are those 205/50's?

What in the world is the 2nd exhaust pipe sticking out of your bumper for?

-Dustin

Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
I really like the look of the tires on yours mkane. Are those 205/50's?

What in the world is the 2nd exhaust pipe sticking out of your bumper for?

-Dustin
Not an exhaust pipe. It's PVC pipe screwed into the tow hook hole, pretending to be a machine gun barrel.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8
I'm afraid you are going to have a hard time getting people to join your class action.

The EPA: Gas Mileage of 2012 Honda Fit

Real-world results: Honda Fit MPG Reports | Fuelly

As can be seen, the car is underrated from the factory.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
Not an exhaust pipe. It's PVC pipe screwed into the tow hook hole, pretending to be a machine gun barrel.
Nooooooooo......seriously?

-Dustin

Old 12-17-2012, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry, this is OT, but that made me think of this:

WindupKey.com

My wife likes to give me a hard time about the Fit (she calls it a nerd mobile) and she thought I should get one of these for it. I would probably do it just to see the reactions I could get, but they are ridiculously expensive!

-Dustin

Old 12-17-2012, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
My sticker said 33 mpg Highway and combined it is currently getting 34.5 mpg if it was rated 40 mpg I might be upset but is one of the highest rated average mpg among any gas driven cars on the road. I am planning on a 3,000 mile road trip next week with it mostly highway hoping to at least get in the upper 30s.

If you are getting lower mpg there can be a lot of factors that cause a lower mpg. All I know is I always take ramps in 3rd gear and corners down shifting and reving so I do not drive for fuel efficiency usually I do not shift into 5th gear until I reach the speed limit in a lower gear. So I can image my mpg if I drove to achieve higher mileage.

Last edited by cjecpa; 12-17-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
Nooooooooo......seriously?

-Dustin
Yes. Seriously. Most of the Fit owners who make the fake machine guns in the tow hook holes use the FRONT bumper, though. AFAIK, member macbuddy was the first to add this decoration to his Fit, with many copiers

Last edited by Triskelion; 12-17-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Need some info Please