General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

I've lived and slept in my 2010 Honda Fit for months. Ask me anything.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 PM
I've lived and slept in my 2010 Honda Fit for months. Ask me anything.

I'm 5'5" and 145lb.

2010 Honda Fit Sport - fuzzybabybunny's Photos

http://paragon-media-storage-tokyo.s...20in%20Car.JPG

Last edited by fuzzybabybunny; 03-02-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Ok, where is the bathroom?

Old 02-09-2013, 03:48 AM
Originally Posted by doane2u
Ok, where is the bathroom?
I'm a guy, and it depends on where I'm staying. I can go run into the woods to pee. If parking somewhere on the street, I can go drive to a grocery store or Starbucks. Or go pee in a bottle.

Mornings are rough, because that's when you have to pee. I've had success getting up really early, cracking the passenger door ajar, and peeing into the sidewalk gutter thing on the curb.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
What is the open gas can for? The fumes would drive me nuts. I hope you do not smoke inside the car.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by n9cv
What is the open gas can for? The fumes would drive me nuts. I hope you do not smoke inside the car.
It's not open, and it's a REALLY good gas canister. I actually can't smell any fumes, so it seals incredibly wrong.

I don't smoke, but just in case I run out of gas, it's good to have.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Where do you take a shower? How often?

Old 02-10-2013, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
So why are you living in the Fit?

Old 02-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Vanct
So why are you living in the Fit?
I doubt he is doing it for the fun of it if he's been doing it "for months."

Probably has no place else to stay and no job?

BTW FB, that's a nice looking Fit

Old 02-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Well I will venture a guess and say that this person is a ski bum! I love it! Are you trying to go pro or are you instructing / working in the ski shop kinda thing?

Old 02-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Maybe his FuzzyBabyBunny and his white fuzzy bunny inside it are to catch fuzzy ski bunnies?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by TrungLam
Where do you take a shower? How often?
If you have a gym membership like 24 Hour Fitness you can use their facilities for showers (and staying in shape). Or you can go on Couchsurfing or AirBnB and negotiate small rates for usage of shower/bathroom/internet/common room facilities.

Or find a river or a lake or an ocean. You are mobile, after all.

I stayed in Lake Tahoe for a week of skiing and I showered every day with broadband internet to boot.

For brushing your teeth, any place with a private public bathroom is fine. Starbucks is the biggie. And I drink a lot of coffee.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:09 PM
I doubt he is doing it for the fun of it if he's been doing it "for months."

Probably has no place else to stay and no job?

BTW FB, that's a nice looking Fit
Thanks! When I first bought my Fit it was my first new car and I slept in it in the front yard of a house in which I rented a room. I didn't really use the room for sleeping, only as an office. I slept in my car, often with the hatch open (gotta take your key and close the latch on the hatch door so the interior light turns off) for a couple of months. Before then I had slept in a tent for a couple months in the same yard. Oftentimes the cat would join me.

Just recently I came back from a 4 month backpacking trip in China, and having no place to stay and with more travel plans coming soon, I'm back in the car.

I have my own business with 3 employees that I manage remotely. And they give me the freedom to live in my car wherever I am able.

So this is entirely by choice. I don't want to rent a room or sign a contract and still have to pay for the times I'm not there, which would be very, very often.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
Well I will venture a guess and say that this person is a ski bum! I love it! Are you trying to go pro or are you instructing / working in the ski shop kinda thing?
Haha, naw, just want to ski more. This is my second year. Due to my flexibility I was able to ski a lot last year (and work remotely while doing it), far more than just the weekend trips that most people do, and my sheer stubborness and willingness to get hurt at high speed meant I progressed quickly. Not going pro, but I clocked myself going 93.2 mph on a black diamond icy run a couple days ago (and hit a jump at 80mph). That was accidental and in hindsight, really really stupid.

Last edited by fuzzybabybunny; 02-10-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Maybe his FuzzyBabyBunny and his white fuzzy bunny inside it are to catch fuzzy ski bunnies?
I wish

Hey, wanna go out! I live in that car... over there...

Doesn't work so well with the ladies... in this country. Would work fine for ladies in certain other countries, though.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Still seems a bit cramped.. the back of a Fit? I lived in a '66 VW pop top Camp-mobile for about 6 months while traveling through Mexico when I was about 30, great experience, I had a fold down table, a wash basin with pump faucet, a "ice box" (ice kept it cold), a small closed and storage areas, and a fold down full size bed in the back. It was actually quite comfy. I even had a skylight I had made in the pop top and could look at the stars from my bed at night, but I probably wouldn't want to repeat it at this late date!

Last edited by doane2u; 02-10-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Still seems a bit cramped. I lived in a '66 VW pop top Camp-mobile for about 6 months while traveling through Mexico when I was about 30, great experience, but I probably wouldn't want to repeat it at this late date!
There are a number of things that I don't like about living in the Fit, and the Fit in general.

1. I'm 5'5" and yes, it is a bit cramped. My head rests on the front seat back if I extend my legs all the way.

2. That damn bump where the rear seat hinge is located hurts. You need a thicker cushion for that (the blue 1" foam Walmart sleeping pad isn't enough.)

3. Gas mileage is horrible at 32-34 mpg, and I have inflated my tires a bit over the recommended (38psi). My old 2000 Toyota Echo coupe was the same weight, made just 5hp less, but cruised at 40 mpg all day long.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
Manual or auto?
What seat positions have you tried to sleep in?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by quadcricket
Manual or auto?
What seat positions have you tried to sleep in?
Manual.

The 2010 only has the position where the rear seats fold flat. Refresh mode where the front seats fold flat was removed. So I've only slept with the back seats flat and the driver seat reclined as far back as it can go. I prefer the back cabin much more.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:15 AM
I applaud you for being open to the simplicity of life. So many people have told me "I wish was younger so I could have done__________, but my wife/kids/job/ yadda yadde kept me from it." Its a matter of choice. Choose to have many ball and chains, or choose to live free to roam anywhere in the world.

Ive slept in my Fit. I am 6'2". If I would follow your example I would trade the Fit for an Element to have more room to stretch out. That being said, I had fun doing it, and I would not trade my Fit for any other reason.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Euromedic
I applaud you for being open to the simplicity of life. So many people have told me "I wish was younger so I could have done__________, but my wife/kids/job/ yadda yadde kept me from it." Its a matter of choice. Choose to have many ball and chains, or choose to live free to roam anywhere in the world.

Ive slept in my Fit. I am 6'2". If I would follow your example I would trade the Fit for an Element to have more room to stretch out. That being said, I had fun doing it, and I would not trade my Fit for any other reason.
Actually, I'm looking for that perfect road trip and travel car:

1. Have great fuel mileage, preferably in the high 30's.

2. Rear seats can fold flat for sleeping.

3. Have AWD. Yup, this is the killer. If we're talking about *really* traveling, I'd want something that can do snow, do some light off-roading, and be able to extricate itself out of situations that would normally get the Fit stuck. And we're talking about *real* AWD systems, not the weak ones that you see thrown on some urban mini SUVs.

Quick Reply: I've lived and slept in my 2010 Honda Fit for months. Ask me anything.