General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

I've lived and slept in my 2010 Honda Fit for months. Ask me anything.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny
Actually, I'm looking for that perfect road trip and travel car:

1. Have great fuel mileage, preferably in the high 30's.

2. Rear seats can fold flat for sleeping.

3. Have AWD. Yup, this is the killer. If we're talking about *really* traveling, I'd want something that can do snow, do some light off-roading, and be able to extricate itself out of situations that would normally get the Fit stuck. And we're talking about *real* AWD systems, not the weak ones that you see thrown on some urban mini SUVs.
The Fit basically has 1 & 2 above. To have "real" AWD, I guess you mean one that can be switched into 4WD when you need it, but then you would need a car with far more ground clearance than the Fit, at least something like an Outback or Rav4. The Fit will never be an off road, or light off-road car.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by doane2u
The Fit basically has 1 & 2 above. To have "real" AWD, I guess you mean one that can be switched into 4WD when you need it, but then you would need a car with far more ground clearance than the Fit, at least something like an Outback or Rav4. The Fit will never be an off road, or light off-road car.
Well, I think just a bit more ground clearance would be ok. I'm envisioning something more like a gas efficient Subaru Impreza Hatchback. Unfortunately, the rear seats don't fold flat in the Subie and I think their recently high MPG estimates have proven to be VERY far from reality.

And just to have something that could go skiing without having to resort to chains, tackle muddy trails, or light bumpy terrain without getting stuck would be nice.

Right now I get really nervous when I'm ANYWHERE around such things because the Fit is basically zero wheel drive. When one of the front driving wheels starts to slide, due to the open differentials the other wheel that actually HAS traction won't be getting any torque, so it turns into a zero-wheel-drive car. One wheel spins freely and the other wheel with bite won't do anything.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Right now I get really nervous when I'm ANYWHERE around such things because the Fit is basically zero wheel drive. When one of the front driving wheels starts to slide, due to the open differentials the other wheel that actually HAS traction won't be getting any torque, so it turns into a zero-wheel-drive car. One wheel spins freely and the other wheel with bite won't do anything.
Forgive my newbie ignorance, but isn't that what the little switch down left of the steering wheel is for? (And I'd add that, as someone who has driven a '69 Impala in sugar sand, there is much to be said for technique with any car. :-)

Old 02-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by joeclark
Forgive my newbie ignorance, but isn't that what the little switch down left of the steering wheel is for? (And I'd add that, as someone who has driven a '69 Impala in sugar sand, there is much to be said for technique with any car. :-)
What switch?

As far as I know, there's no way to lock the differentials

Yes, technique surely does count for a lot, but technique can only get you so far on a low-clearance front wheel drive car. And even if you have technique, there are some things that you just don't risk, especially if you're out there by yourself, which I often am.

It sucks having to find wood and rocks and shovel out sand/snow/dirt from your tires by yourself while trying to rock a manual transmission car back to somewhere with traction.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:31 PM
YES! yesyesyesyesyes! I've now got cheap, stable, flexible housing in North Lake Tahoe!

For $10 a day (just like the rate I have in Palo Alto) I get to use the lovely living room, dining, kitchen, shower, and WiFi of a hostel. And then every night I get to go sleep in my car in a park down by the lake. If I feel like it, I can pay $30 a night for a dorm bed.

SWEET!!! That's like $300 a month to stay in Tahoe. Or even less if I choose to not use the facilities on some days.

My Honda Fit - best purchase EVAR.

Work, ski, chill, contribute to the community, meet people from all over the world.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:52 PM
That is pretty awesome man

Old 02-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Very Cool Man I'm in Folsom which isn't far from North Lake Tahoe but I'm about 45 min from south lake tahoe and an hours drive from Heavenly....I used to have several Jeeps that I have slept in more than once. It wasn't best but I was able to make do. I have an awesome Backpacking Tent that I would rather sleep in but not having to set up camp every night is nice.

check out Exposition Portal Forum it's right up your ally.
ExPo: Adventure and Overland Travel Enthusiasts

Also if it was me I would get a Toyota Tacoma or with a RTT (Roof Top Tent) Setup is usually about two minutes. Google RTT Tacoma. Or a Honda Element and put a RTT on it.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't lived in a car but I've slept while travelling in the back of a 66 VW Beetle, 65 VW Micro bus, 64 Falcon Squire Wagon, 81 VW Pickup 79 Lincoln Town Car and 97 GMC Safari cargo van.. I did live in a tiny travel trailer for 14 months, 2 of them with 3 Dobermans also staying in it with me.. I didn't have a road to where I live or an address from 1994 until 2009 and had to drive on 1/4 mile of sugar sand every time I went anywhere.. The only vehicles I ever had a problem with was a 2003 Goldwing a 95 GMC pickup and an Iseki 2WD tractor when pulling out the pickup ... My Fit always made it back and forth but the front bumper was torn loose from the fenders regularly...

Old 02-28-2013, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
What switch?

As far as I know, there's no way to lock the differentials

Yes, technique surely does count for a lot, but technique can only get you so far on a low-clearance front wheel drive car. And even if you have technique, there are some things that you just don't risk, especially if you're out there by yourself, which I often am.
True, I have learned from sad experience that some terrain has no respect for me and my puny technique. It's all fun & games until the frame is resting on the ground. Or the tide is coming back in on the mudflats you thought you could drive across (AMHIK).

I was thinking of the VSA disabler. From my 2013 Sport manual, p.177: In certain unusual conditions when your vehicle gets stuck in shallow mud or fresh snow, it may be easier to free it with the VSA® temporarily switched off. When the VSA® system is off, the traction control system is also off. You should only attempt to free your vehicle with the VSA® off if you are not able to free it when the VSA® is on.

~j

Last edited by joeclark; 02-28-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
I often thought about living in my Fit. But here is someone that actually did it. BTW good choice in color. ;-)

Old 03-02-2013, 10:19 AM
VW Bus

If I were to do it again I would go with a VW bus.
This is my '66 pop top camp-mobile I had back in the 70's to 80's. I lived in it four about six months traveling through Mexico and went camping all the time in Washington, Oregon, Texas, and other states.
It was slow as hell, but I got around 28mpg on the highway I named it "Eeyore"

Light weight Mahogany paneling inside. Full size bed in back, plenty of storage, fold down table for three, icebox, wash basin with water tank/pump faucet, used a propane gas stove on the door, I installed a removable plexiglass skylight in the pop top and I could look up at the stars at night from the very comfy bed when not looking in a girl friends starry eyes!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
The sandy soil and the trees in the pictures look like East Texas... I imagine you had safe cruising speed of no more than 50mph on a windy day... My running buddy that had a 65 model that wasn't a camper rig could cruise at 90..Needless to say but his engine wasn't stock...

Old 03-02-2013, 01:11 PM
I think those were taken around Pedernales Falls in the hills, but I could be wrong, I traveled to a lot of places. You may be right, could be out near Tyler, Tx
I lived in Fort Worth at the time in Arlington Heights.

I actually could cruse quite comfortably at 65 on the flat and with no heavy side winds. Stopping was another matter... brakes were horrible and one quick stop from speed left you with very little braking power left from brake fade.. took a strong leg and lots of nerves.

Last edited by doane2u; 03-02-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Im 5'9" 176lbs and i slept in my Fit a couple of times for a few hours and its not bad, i had to sleep diagonally though because my head goes over the section where the seatback ends.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by doane2u
If I were to do it again I would go with a VW bus.
This is my '66 pop top camp-mobile I had back in the 70's to 80's. I lived in it four about six months traveling through Mexico and went camping all the time in Washington, Oregon, Texas, and other states.
It was slow as hell, but I got around 28mpg on the highway I named it "Eeyore"

Light weight Mahogany paneling inside. Full size bed in back, plenty of storage, fold down table for three, icebox, wash basin with water tank/pump faucet, used a propane gas stove on the door, I installed a removable plexiglass skylight in the pop top and I could look up at the stars at night from the very comfy bed when not looking in a girl friends starry eyes!

So my primary question is this:

Would it get stuck easily? I don't want to be restricted to just roads. There are so many out of the way places to see that require you to go off roading a bit. That is the single biggest thing that I hate about traveling on the Fit - I have to pass up on a lot of roads that go off into seemingly unknown places because I'm not sure if I'll get stuck.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 PM
So my primary question is this:

Would it get stuck easily? I don't want to be restricted to just roads. There are so many out of the way places to see that require you to go off roading a bit. That is the single biggest thing that I hate about traveling on the Fit - I have to pass up on a lot of roads that go off into seemingly unknown places because I'm not sure if I'll get stuck.
This '66 was the earlier VW bus that had lower gear ratios and higher ground clearance. I have driven it up some pretty steep dirt fire roads where I have only seen jeeps and they were surprised to see me slowly creeping up the hills! A Fit would have never made it, nor would most of the popular crossovers or SUV's of today.

I don't remember when the model changed, but the newer ones had lower clearance and angle of approach/retreat, but more HP along with worse mileage, but better on highway hills, etc. They also went to automatics with A/C etc... all of which cuts into mileage, though not too bad compared to some other camper vehicles. Of course, finding one of these old beasts in good shape like mine you would be buying an antique at this point and it would probably be way over priced.

All the best,

Last edited by doane2u; 03-02-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Overall, it seems like you have found a lifestyle which suits you. I applaud you for that. What you may consider, for more sleeping comfort, is finding something like a futon mattress (Ikea has numerous options). That will help with the uncomfortable floor. They also make high-performance sleeping mats which self-inflate when you open them and you roll them back up to push the air out. Of course, you could just use an air mattress (fill it to where your behind just touches the ground) and get a little 12-volt pump to fill it each night.

You may also consider finding a way to get all that stuff OFF the floor, and hanging from the ceiling, or in in the front seat, when you are sleeping. If you lie at an angle, (head at the front,drivers side...feet at the back, passengers side) to get a 'longer' place to sleep.

I think I'd be inclined to keep a couple of windows open an inch, instead of leaving the hatch open.

Your bohemian lifestyle seems to suit you. Enjoy!

Kev