General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

weird high pitch grind sound question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 02:00 AM
weird high pitch grind sound question

hey guys i got a used 08 fit with 70k+ miles few weeks ago its a stick shift..
i never had a chance to drive a honda fit before so im trying to observe bout the sound..is it normal that when accelerating engine is really loud?..i also noticed that it has a very sensitive throttle i mean between shifting gears you can still hear the rev of the throttle after i let go of the gas and change gear..and lastly just noticed that occassionaly when i start to drive the car from 1sr gear between shifting to 2ndg gear theres a high pitch grind sound (not sure if its grind) but sound more likely coming from the engine...regarding the trasmission i dont have any problems shifting..shifts really smooth...anyone had experience with on of this?..sorry for a very long explanation..

Old 03-06-2013, 02:01 AM
and is there anyway i can check if my transmission was shot?..signs/symptoms?..

Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Well, let's see here...

1. The Fit's engine is a bit loud (or, more precisely, there's not much soundproofing between the passenger cabin and everything else, so you hear the engine fairly clearly). "Really loud" could mean you're used to a more refined/soundproofed car, or it could mean you have e.g. a hole in the exhaust system somewhere or similar; it depends on how loud "really" is.

2. There is a very distinct rev hang when letting off the throttle that can be annoying when shifting. That's due to the programming of the ECU. Perfectly normal, though not always welcome.

3. No idea on the noise from first to second, at least without more information. (When during the shift does the noise come up—is it related to the throttle position, the clutch operation, or some stage of moving the shifter? Any way to record it? etc.)

4. I've had one manual transmission wear out on me (a Mazda 626 at ca. 230,000 miles), and the symptoms were nasty clicking and crunching noises while driving, being occasionally unwilling to go into certain gears, popping out of fifth gear, and eventually not having a fifth gear to pop out of. If the transmission is operating properly, shifting smoothly and easily, and not making horrible noises, it's fine. It would not hurt to change the gear oil if it hasn't been done somewhat recently.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:28 PM
thank you for your answers DrewE..
well fist of all you might be right i used to drive a scion xb last year before i got this fit never tried to drive a fit before so maybe the loudness is normal like you said they dont hav much soundproof...its more likely roaring engine and slow on take offs..like or 2nd..

about the hanging rev,,this is what im most concerned of and your correct its annoying evrytime i shift gear if i minimize pressing of the thorttle engine feels like it will stall..

about the noise i only heard it twice not really sure what it is...but maybe i should check my valve clearances..theres a noticeable ticking of the valve on idle which im not sure if this is normal to this car....really cant tell if i can record it tho since sound is very minimal to hear and not happen all the time

thats really amazing i lasted you moe than 200k miles before clutch gave in i believe the way you drive is a big factor how you take care of your clutch which like yours lasted that long...im pretty sure i dont here those crunching, clicking or any grinding noise...it shifts really smooth kinda jumpy sometimes..and is it normal when i was parked and try to listen to my clutch as i press it the air sucking sound from the intake becomes quiet?..and when i let go sucking air sound goes back?..again thanks for all the info

Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 PM
just an update, drove the car and obsereved the sound..it happens when 2nd gear engaged then minimal sound like rotating sound then after driving a while it was gone i thin i happens when engine is not totally warm..

Old 03-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Banned
Check the metal shield on the exhaust pipe. Sometimes they touch when cold making a sound then when it heats up it moves away and the sound goes away.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 AM
thank you for your answer loudbang..can you tell me where that shield located?..sorry not familiar yet with the locations..ill try to check it coz it might be the one you describe...sounds coming form under tho like from a complete stop then accelerate to first gear and i rev till 3k stay on that spot and i hear that vibrating or rotating sound..couple of tries and its gone..

Old 03-07-2013, 12:15 AM
as far as i can tell its like one of the components of the engine that rotates very high rotating sound must be the gear...reving at 3k on 1st would be too much?

Old 03-07-2013, 02:16 AM
another update...as i listen to it carefully,1st gear rpm goin up sound changed at about 2k to 3k sound was like same to reverse?..not totally loud but you will hear the difference....anyone experience this?

Old 03-08-2013, 01:48 AM
Banned
The shield is covering parts of the exhaust system and the converter. It's just a piece of thin metal with a couple of screws holding it on. It's on the TOP side of the exhaust system in the front.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:54 AM
ok here is the update i check the shield that you told me and they were fine actually i dont see any movement on that part...i think the sound is coming from either engine or tranny...as i drive it again i noticed that it only happens at first take off i mean the car wad parked for few minutes and start to drive again at 1sr gear like around 2500 to 3000k the sound was there like a high pitch spinning ring?...thats the best sound i can describe it then as i stop and drive again sound was all gone..so it only happens on evry first take offs..

Old 03-08-2013, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
I have an idea.......... Take it to the place you got it from or a certified Honda dealer. I'm sure they've heard every kind of "noise" coming from a car!!