General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

octane confusion..

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
Good for you seeyalaterbye! Glad to see your taking all thing under consideration and seeing what works for YOU and YOUR situation.

I run 91, for a reason, nothing really better here in "Kalifornia."

I'd run 100 or even e85 if I could get it consistently for less than an arm, leg, kidney...

Old 04-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Schoat333
Realistically, there are a ton of variables to consider. That's why this "debate" is always in circles.
This has been my experience for a long time now.I have 20K on my Fit and since new I have run all grades of fuel available here in California.

I obviously have not run E85,Diesel or 100 octane but we do have it.I dont have scangauge just hand calc and the car computer and I average 28-34mpg no matter what I use.

This is practically all city driving like 98% so I'm happy and will not spend the extra money on 91 if I do not need it.The price of a gallon of gas here in California is all over the place.

It can make a difference to most people when you can see as much as .30/gal from on station to the next

I get no spark knock running 87 and I've checked my plugs and they show a nice even burn so I'm good with 87 from here on out.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by zilla8
This has been my experience for a long time now.I have 20K on my Fit and since new I have run all grades of fuel available here in California.

I obviously have not run E85,Diesel or 100 octane but we do have it.I dont have scangauge just hand calc and the car computer and I average 28-34mpg no matter what I use.

This is practically all city driving like 98% so I'm happy and will not spend the extra money on 91 if I do not need it.The price of a gallon of gas here in California is all over the place.

It can make a difference to most people when you can see as much as .30/gal from on station to the next

I get no spark knock running 87 and I've checked my plugs and they show a nice even burn so I'm good with 87 from here on out.
You'd be amazed at the amount of knock retard you're experiencing and not even aware of

Old 04-16-2013, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member

The GD ECU/Knock sensor at least is a REAL Nanny... I doubt the GE is any better. Hopefully when Hondata meets the GE folks needs with a FlashPro we can learn more about just HOW much nannying is going on

Old 04-16-2013, 03:55 PM
With the amount I get on 93 E0 on a stock tune.. you aren't joking.

Still playing with the knock sensitivity tables. It's painstaking lol

Old 04-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by TPColgett
Good for you seeyalaterbye! Glad to see your taking all thing under consideration and seeing what works for YOU and YOUR situation.

I run 91, for a reason, nothing really better here in "Kalifornia."

I'd run 100 or even e85 if I could get it consistently for less than an arm, leg, kidney...
thanks, i actually found 93 for about $0.06 more than 91 by my work place. after i get the baseline info down, i'll give that a try.

Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
You'd be amazed at the amount of knock retard you're experiencing and not even aware of

your not kidding. i watched my timing with the scangauge during lunch and there is a huge difference in the ignition timing compared to when i was running 87. much, much less "retarded" lol

also check your pm's sir. i have a project for you when you have the time

Last edited by seeyalaterbye; 04-16-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
with winterized gas 87 octane on mostly surface roads i get about 31.5mpg.

during the summer months i was getting 34mpg range on 87octane. i dont plan on feeding the car none other than 87octane.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:38 PM
I love this place a brother just trying to save a little money for some light weight wheels lol

I hear ya DSM I'm not data logging but there is sure to be some knock going on.I know on my Mustang the KS would often pick up internal noise and throw a false code.

Some tuners were adjusting them without telling customers that ran their tunes and there were problems because of this.

now nobody messes with them at least in most of the canned tunes that are frequently purchased.

I feel pretty comfortable with Honda and the KS doing their job and keeping my little motor safe running 87.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by zilla8
I love this place a brother just trying to save a little money for some light weight wheels lol

I hear ya DSM I'm not data logging but there is sure to be some knock going on.I know on my Mustang the KS would often pick up internal noise and throw a false code.

Some tuners were adjusting them without telling customers that ran their tunes and there were problems because of this.

now nobody messes with them at least in most of the canned tunes that are frequently purchased.

I feel pretty comfortable with Honda and the KS doing their job and keeping my little motor safe running 87.

10-4.

And ya, thats a bit of a no-no in my opinion at least. That's the sort of detail provided in my briefs with a new tune to an end-user. I actually like that ours are so sensitive.. for when we need them to be like an FI application.

These are the stock HiCam sensitivity settings:
Name:  knockret-ex2a_zps1507bcc0.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  128.6 KB

This is a test run on 93oct E0, sensor readout on the left to provide the vitals.. and here we are just barely rolling into the throttle then BAM pulls 9* advance just for the f*ck of it.
Name:  knockret-ex1a_zps7d058b0e.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  71.2 KB

This was while operating in an entirely unmodified part of the IgnLow map. That's quite a torque penalty.

Just food for thought, everyone.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
Barometric pressures also play into knock. My car ran great the last few days but today with higher pressure, I felt the car lacking power and it was harder to maintain speeds and I run premium.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:58 PM
so i took my fit to redline through 2nd and 3rd and i am now experiencing a "pinging" sound coming from the exhaust for the last 500 rpm of the pull. this is the first time ive ran up to redline for awhile. not sure if its something to worry about or what but i defiantly do not remember it making that sound. it sounds sorta like a after market exhaust at the top of the rpm range except terrible.

EDIT: still there this morning. i have no idea what it is. but i watched a few videos of stock fits on youtube and they defiantly dont sound like this. i will maybe try to take a video when i get home from work.

Last edited by seeyalaterbye; 04-17-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting....

Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 PM
couldnt get it to do it again on the drive home. i was reading and found out when i was rewiring my sub and amp yesterday and had my battery disconnected for awhile, that would reset the ecu to baseline fuel tables. i completely didnt think about that. running premium during the initial "learning" of the ecu probably caused the sound i was hearing. still hard to describe, even harder to search for haha. kinda sounded like a built car pulling through a gear then letting of the gas while still in gear.. except a tiny tin can version of that. also read somewhere that the 2-3 redline was around 6500-6800 cant remember what exactly but i might have been hitting that. like i said its been awhile since i put the pedal down through a couple gears but i could swear this thing redlined at 7000 in D. oh yeah its an auto.. dont know if i remembered to mention that part lol.