General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Next-Gen (JDM) Fit Slated to Be Released in September

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Next-Gen (JDM) Fit Slated to Be Released in September

I have just returned from Japan. The automotive press over there appears to be in agreement that the next-gen Fit will be released in Japan in September.

Size-wise, it is reported that the body length of the JDM Fit will lengthen by about 80 mm but is coming in under 4 m in total length. The width will, as before, come under the 1.7 m limit as specified by the Japanese '5' license regs.

The release timing of the next-gen Fit for the rest of the world is not known at this time.

The next-gen Fit Hybrid is being reported to arrive with a 1.5 L gas engine (vs. 1.3 L in the current generation) coupled with a higher output electric motor. Big news is that the new Fit Hybrid will come with a 7-speed dual clutch transmission.

Honda is apparently trying to top the current JC08 fuel rating of Toyota Aqua (Prius c).

Again, the availability of the Fit Hybrid outside of Japan, if at all, is unknown at this point in time.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
I would really be intrigued if a Fit Hybrid were made available in the States. Especially if it gets better MPG's than the Prius. I'm assuming storage capacity will be reduced due to the batteries? Please keep this thread updated as you find out more. Thanks.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting that they would boost displacement on the gas engine. Usually with hybrids, the intent is to decrease the size of the gas engine while increasing the output of the hybrid electric motor to boost efficiency. I'm curious as to how this will play out.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Since the Tokyo Auto Show is only every 2 years and takes place In November, I'll be shocked if the next gen debuts before then. But I've been wrong before.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FormulaJDM
Since the Tokyo Auto Show is only every 2 years and takes place In November, I'll be shocked if the next gen debuts before then. But I've been wrong before.
The September release is apparently a done deal. The new assembly plant in Yorii, Saitama Prefecture, will go online next month, specifically to build the new Fit. By August the market-ready vehicles will be coming off the lines if not sooner.

Dealerships around Japan are starting to increase the discount to clear out the current model because the secret is already out.

Last edited by jacksan1; 06-19-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by p nut
I would really be intrigued if a Fit Hybrid were made available in the States. Especially if it gets better MPG's than the Prius. I'm assuming storage capacity will be reduced due to the batteries? Please keep this thread updated as you find out more. Thanks.
The current Fit Hybrid has sacrificed very little in terms of the space utility. The rear cargo floor is slightly higher than the non-hybrid, but most people would not notice. The rear seating tricks are unchanged. I am assuming that the next-gen Fit Hybrid will have the same kind of space usage.

They are trying to top the current JC08 figure for Prius c. But the rumor is that Toyota has already anticipated this, and will announce a higher JC08 fuel figure for the improved Aqua (Prius c) shortly after the new Fit Hybrid is released.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Interesting that they would boost displacement on the gas engine. Usually with hybrids, the intent is to decrease the size of the gas engine while increasing the output of the hybrid electric motor to boost efficiency. I'm curious as to how this will play out.
What I have heard is that the new 1.5 L engine for the hybrid will be an Atkinson-cycle one that is actually more efficient than the current 1.3 L conventional LDA motor, not to mention a higher horsepower/torque output.

With this and a higher-output electric motor, Honda is aiming to boost the fuel economy by about 18% over the current Fit Hybrid.

Oh, there will also be a full EV mode in the new hybrid, which is not the case with the current IMA setup.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jacksan1
What I have heard is that the new 1.5 L engine for the hybrid will be an Atkinson-cycle one that is actually more efficient than the current 1.3 L conventional LDA motor, not to mention a higher horsepower/torque output.

With this and a higher-output electric motor, Honda is aiming to boost the fuel economy by about 18% over the current Fit Hybrid.

Oh, there will also be a full EV mode in the new hybrid, which is not the case with the current IMA setup.
Honda previewed that tech last November. I like the idea of a seven speed dual clutch gearbox!

Honda previews trio of hybrid systems for different driving characteristics - Autoblog

Last edited by FormulaJDM; 06-19-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member

This picture or rendering of the next generation is somewhat better.

New Rumors from Japan's Bestcar magazine with scoop on the next generation Honda Fit / Jazz.

2014 Honda Fit / Jazz is coming in September for the Japanese market and expected to deliver 36km/L, which would put mileage ahead of Toyota's Aqua's (Prius C) 35.4km/L, making the Fit / Jazz the most efficient car in Japan.

Maybe for November they will have the Type R Fit.

Last edited by cjecpa; 06-20-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
Looking forward to hearing more news about the 2014 Fit. I was originally intending on buying a 2013, but going to put it off a year to see what is new with the new Fit. Also considering the new Urban SUV if it is half as cool as it looks.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Holy shit, OP surely delivers. Certainly is battling it out in the comment section.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:19 AM
Holy shit it looks like a mini ody

Old 06-28-2013, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator
if those pics are true, looks like my fiancee will be getting my current fit and i'll be getting the latest model!

Old 06-28-2013, 04:10 AM
Hopefully it looks like that and the rear suspension is independent with rear disc