General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.
View Poll Results: What would you do in this situation
BBS RA Refinish (Beater) + Axis OG Sans (Show)
16.67%
Axis OG Sans (Beater) + Enkei Apache II (Show)
50.00%
Just Axis OG Sans, sell all other wheels
33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Refinish BBS RA's or New wheels? WWYD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 06:56 AM
Smile Refinish BBS RA's or New wheels? WWYD?

I just ordered a new set of tires this past weekend. 195/55/15 Kumho 4x's to be exact. Discount tire had a solid deal. About $252 after $100 in rebates. Couldn't pass it up...

Anyways, I'm in need of some advice and just need other peoples opinion/input. With those new tires I just bought, I'm currently on the fence on if I should just buy new wheels, or refinish the BBS RA's I currently have sitting on the garage.

So here's my goal here:
Have some beater wheels and have nice wheels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I were to buy new wheels, it'd be Enkei Apache II in Silver with 15x7 +38 offset. Nothing else. I love old school wheels.

These BBS RA's are 15x6 with +33 offset. They have bit of nicks and dings, slight curb rash on a couple of wheels, and one tiny, minor bend on one of the wheel that you won't spot unless you really look hard. I mean come on, they're 20+ year old wheels. Also, the top coat is peeling on 2 of the wheels out of the 4 original silver. (I currently have 2 sets of BBS RA's. One is OEM Silver and the other set is Cream/Beige)

I'm thinking about refinishing the silver ones and selling the beige ones. And seeing I'm pretty anal when it comes to details, I'd probably get the bend fixed and really put in work to refinish these wheels. Like bondo, primer, sanding and good jazz. I've repainted and refinished wheels before and they held up for 3 years. Which isn't bad for around $50 plus in supplies. But the process just takes too much time and effort.

Pictures:

Name:  Edit3_zps61aadd5f.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  239.3 KB

Anyways, back to my dilemma. I really want these Enkei Apaches and have been looking at them for a long, long time. They're most likely going to be just spring and summer wheels. Something I'd tuck away during fall and winter seasons. But having such good looking wheels scares me because I might curb them and their looks/appeal go down. Not to mention possible resale value in the future.

And about the BBS RA's, as much as I love them, a lot of people have them. Plus these wheels are 20+ years old. They've been through a lot of stress cycles and to be honest, I don't know how well these wheels will balance out and if they're worth restoring for the long run.

Note, I also have a new set of Axis OG Sans in the garage that I've been waiting to mount, but I'm still waiting until I have my coilovers installed.

Pictures:

Name:  Edit2_zps568a5ea5.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  195.3 KB

So here are my choices:

- Refinish my BBS RA's and use them as my daily driver wheels and put the Kumho's on there. Use my Axis OG Sans as the nice wheels. (Cheap route)

- Sell all of my BBS RA's and my current wheels on my car (R91 Imola's from Mini Cooper's - 15x5.5 and 12 lbs a piece). Use that money to buy Enkei Apache II's and slap the Kumhos on there. And use my Axis OG Sans as my beater/daily driver wheels. (Most expensive route)

- Just sell every wheel, except the OG Sans and keep the tires you order for future use. (Cheapest route)

Here are my factors:
- Money, Time & Effort
- Down sizing to have only 2 sets of wheels. Daily wheels and show wheels.

What would you do?

Last edited by RangerRingor; 07-02-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:04 AM
And please, don't give me crap for having "replica wheels". I just couldn't find the reason to spend $800-$1000 for a set of used SSR Reverse Mesh (Wheels Only). Some local dude was selling them a while back...

Old 07-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Since non of the wheels are real expensive wheels, why not just buy one set for show and go there's no need to have 2 sets of 700 dollar wheels.
Also why not look at msr wheels. Made by American racing, they are also in your price range.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Sell all BBS for a ridiculous price because old school wheels are "in" and are overpriced in the Honda crowd.

Buy Enkei Apache

Run reps as winter wheels

I love restoring wheels and yes it does take a lot of time and effort to do it right (not just rattle can). If you're not up to the task of doing it right don't do it.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Run mini wheels in winter.
Buy Enkeis.

Sell all others.