General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Help Me Choose: Used Fit or Used Prius

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Help Me Choose: Used Fit or Used Prius

Hey,

Which one would you choose?

Some info:
-Early 30s, a couple, no kids (yet)
-Daily commute = <25 miles average (60/40 city/hwy)
-Roads are mostly flat
-This would be our only car

Priorities on a car:
-Budget is $13,000 max (cash)
-We don't want to finance
-For Honda Fit it has to be nothing older than 2012 (base is fine)
-For Prius it has to be nothing older than 2007 (any pkg)
-<60,000 miles odo
-Good fuel economy
-Safe
-Has to be very reliable
-Comfortable

My gf and I test drove both cars automatic and she liked the Fit's pepped engine response compared to Prius. I enjoyed the Prius' comfort. Gf liked Fit's larger cargo space.

I have read many comparisons on a NEW Fit vs NEW Prius and Fit wins if you want to safe money down the road, but I've never encountered a USED Fit vs USED Prius thread (if you know of one please supply the link).

Which USED car would I safe more down the road? So far I have found out that I can get a newer Fit with half the miles for the SAME price as a USED Prius with double the miles. So which would you choose??

Old 07-10-2013, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
A lot of factors to consider. Are you buying private party or dealer? Automatic or manual? Will be tough to find a 2012 Fit for around $13k unless you are willing to travel to get one. You could go up to a 2009 Prius in the $13k price range.

http://www.mojomotors.com/used-cars/...ampaign=250316

Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by cjecpa
A lot of factors to consider. Are you buying private party or dealer? Automatic or manual? Will be tough to find a 2012 Fit for around $13k unless you are willing to travel to get one. You could go up to a 2009 Prius in the $13k price range.
-Private party
-Automatic

I'm searching, it is tough...but they are out there.

Which would you choose?

Old 07-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Well my situation was different. I found that I couldn't even afford the prius if I wanted it. THe extra mpg would take years to make up for the purchase price. There is also a big difference between a 2007 MY and a 2012 MY. That is quite a lot of aging for a car. There was a good article on Yahoo! entitled "cars that you might as well buy new" and the Fit was on that list. I actually sold Infinitis at one point in my life maybe I can help. Why is financing totally out of the question? You could use that 13k in cash to put down the maximum allowable amount, then just use what it left over to make the car payments. You will have a brand new Honda and you will only need to worry about $4-5k to pay it off.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
With a 60/40 city/hwy commute that's about 30mpg in a Fit. The Prius should do 45mpg (these estimates are biased towards the Prius). Over 100 miles you'll burn 3.3 gallons in the Fit and 2.2 in the Prius for a savings of 1.1 gallons. Over 25miles you
ll save about 0.3 gallons or about $1 a day savings. Over a year that's 20 commuter days per month or $240 per year.

Is this worth getting a car that's 5 years older with a limited lifespan on the batteries? I don't know how long the batteries last, but that would be a concern. I think the battery package costs about $3000 (I may be waaaay off). At $240 per year a $3000 battery pack would take 12 years to pay for.

Last edited by Steve244; 07-10-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WJC530
-Private party
-Automatic

I'm searching, it is tough...but they are out there.

Which would you choose?

I looked at the Prius but I wanted a manual and a hatchback so that left me with the Fit. I usually buy Toyota just because the low cost to maintain and the local dealer service is great. I brought my wife a 2012 Camry XLE before I got my Fit. My Fit is fun to drive and has great cargo room for a small package.
I think the Prius C is nice looking and could be modified to look even nicer but no manual.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Interesting questions...

A new Fit would be nice, but to take a $2k blow after riding off of it from the lot is hard to swallow. That is the case with all new car purchases any way. That is why I wasn't thinking of going that route, plus taxes and fees.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Really not sure where you are located here is a 2012 that seems a little too low:

2012 HONDA FIT SPORT

2012 Honda Fit sport 11.000ml.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:14 PM
But once that's done the Fit holds its value very well...

Buy whichever car you like driving more. Test drive both. YOLO

The fact they're using Prii as cabs makes me think the battery is less of an issue than people like to point out.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Interesting questions...

A new Fit would be nice, but to take a $2k blow after riding off of it from the lot is hard to swallow. That is the case with all new car purchases any way. That is why I wasn't thinking of going that route, plus taxes and fees.
You're going to pay the taxes anyway, whether it's new or used.

And as was just previously mentioned, no, the car doesn't lose $2k once you leave the lot with it. They're priced too low for that to be the case, and successful used sales have already borne it out to not be the case. They hold their value quite well during the first five years, or else most of the people on this board that hop from car to car wouldn't be able to afford to do it.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting questions...

True, depreciation, taxes and Fee's are all a MAJOR bummer...

But there are several GOOD reasons for buying a new Fit. Here is the article in question brought up before:

Yahoo!

The relevant tag line of which is: "All told, the typical new Fit costs $17,739 vs. $14,668 for 2- and 3-year-old versions. That's just a 17.3% differential"

In 2008 when I needed a new daily driver/single car I was shopping for 2002-2003 Subaru wagons. At the time they sold for around 19K. I got my Fit out the door with a 5 year extended warranty for under 19K no sweat!

Having that warranty is also a BIG benefit, especially if this is going to be your only car.

I would BET you could even find a slightly older GE within the majority of requirements as a Honda certified used car if you hunt enough... Why the stipulation of the 2012?

Last edited by TPColgett; 07-10-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Prius is never a option, ever. That is just me though. Really though why is financing out of the question? With $13K and financing you would be able to get into a brand new Fit, or any similar priced car and get exactly what you want

Old 07-10-2013, 01:47 PM
After looking at many articles regarding new vs used...if I do go for the fit...it might as damn well be a new 2013 base a/t.

I've been searching the boards and haven't found the current 2013 price thread on how much people paid OTD for their Fit. Can someone link me?

Note: I live in Northern NJ

Old 07-10-2013, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Old 07-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Interesting questions...

I laugh when I see someone say "BUT IT LOSES 2 OR 3 GRAND IN VALUE RIGHT AFTER YOU DRIVE IT OFF THE LOT!!!" How many of you are planning to buy a new car just to try and sell it in your own? Especially with a car like the fit that should go 200k no problem.

The honda fit IMO is the absolute best value car around. (Why i bought one...)Hybrids and diesels have amazing gas mileage these days. I think the least expensive one I saw was $25k. The Chevy and ford are cheaper, but probably won't last as long and don't have things like ac, cruise control and power options standard. You could try Korean, they are nice cars but don't have the best track record.

Do the right thing, find yourself a base manual new fit and buy it or else...

Old 07-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Ok, you guys helped a lot.

We're leaning towards a 2013 Honda Fit...

Is it true that if we do get automatic, we should get the sport due to the paddle shifters helping a bit more while going up hill?

Should we wait until prices for 2013 drop around the end of August?

I def. want the audio controls on the steering wheel and know that the base doesn't provide this.

The true market value for a 2013 Sport Fit Auto is quoted at $18,274 including only destination charge of $790. How much lower can this car be had for before the mandatory government/state fees?

Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
I think CJ has you already covered with the https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ne-paying.html thread...

See if there are any others in your area and what they have paid. If your out the door under 19K thats OK. At or just under 18K is GOOD! GF's 2012 was 18.2 with EVERY flipping upsell from the dealer I wasn't there to say no to

Old 07-11-2013, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Special lease and APR rates on Fit until 09.03.2013.

Shop for a Honda Fit - Official Honda Website

Old 07-11-2013, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, you guys helped a lot.

We're leaning towards a 2013 Honda Fit...

Is it true that if we do get automatic, we should get the sport due to the paddle shifters helping a bit more while going up hill?
No. Both have "grade logic" to assist on hills. This avoids too frequent shifts. The added control the paddles may give you is small compared to a manual transmission. If you're comfortable with an automatic I wouldn't let the paddles sell you on the Sport.

Should we wait until prices for 2013 drop around the end of August?
Fits tend to stay in demand, but this is the last year of the current generation (I'm not positive on this, is this right?). I'd probably wait and get a 2014 if you can wait. 2014 should introduce direct-injection and much better mpg. They probably will discount the 2013s some when the 2014s come out.

I def. want the audio controls on the steering wheel and know that the base doesn't provide this.

The true market value for a 2013 Sport Fit Auto is quoted at $18,274 including only destination charge of $790. How much lower can this car be had for before the mandatory government/state fees?
Check edmunds.com, kbb.com and truecar.com. They typically sell below invoice, but there's not a lot of room between invoice and list.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:13 PM
This person selling his 2010 Fit is near me...tell me what you think?

Cars for Sale: 2010 Honda Fit Sport in Newark, NJ 07104: Hatchback Details - 347594457 - AutoTrader.com

Carfax is there free and avail. to see - no accidents, guy barely drove it. Would you jump on this? I can probably bring it down to 12500.

Quick Reply: Help Me Choose: Used Fit or Used Prius