General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Does my Honda Fit looked totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:04 AM
Does my Honda Fit looked totaled?

So I was driving home from work on the freeway when traffic had come to a stop. I had just come to a stop when a lady, who was high(guessing because her entire car smelled of weed), did not stop or even attempt to stop and hit me going about 35-40mph rear ending my car which launched me into the car in front of me, pushing that car into the car in front of him. This is the resulting damage to my poor car. Might I add I had just bought this car a little over a week ago...

On top of this damage, I noticed that it was leaking fluids when it was being put on the tow truck.
Does this damage look like it is repairable or is it most likely they are going to total out my car?

If anyone has any insurance advice that would be great too. As I am having issues with my(Geico) and the lady's (Safeco) insurance companies. She was basically trying to say someone rear ended her. No one touched her car and even the police report that I sent them proves that she is lying, but her insurance is still not accepting liability. They are "investigating". I am not sure what they are investigating considering the report puts her 100% liability. It's been over a week since the accident and I've gotten no where with either companies.

Last edited by RaspberryFit4; 08-17-2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: I addded larger photos
Old 08-17-2013, 03:23 AM
5 Year Member
Keep on top of the insurance company, the police report is really all they need, there is nothing else to investigate. Also keep on top of your insurance company as well to see what's going on with there end.

As far as the damage goes, I have seen a lot worse, but you won't know the extent of the damage until you do a tear down and see what all needs to be replaced. Personally I would hope they total out and just get a new one. To me cars really aren't ever the same after any accident.

Best of luck and the important thing here is that you're ok, that's all that matters.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:16 AM
I've been calling my insurance company everyday, but they are not very helpful. They keep telling me we called but they didn't answer and they haven't called back. It was two days before they even bothered to try and call them again and only because I pushed them to. They haven't even looked at my car yet.(I was promised they would look at it Thursday. They never did. Then told me I had to wait till Monday.)

Old 08-17-2013, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
I'm confused. Maybe insurance is different in the Peoples Republic of California. Here I just notify my company and they fix or total it. After all is repaired, they simply subjugate against the other company and get their money back plus my deductible. I have tried to go direct to the other company on several accidenst but that never worked out. Have your company repair or replace your car under your collision insurance.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
Contact the California Department of Insurance and file a compliant. My daughter was sideswiped by a tractor trailer and the police actually had to chase the guy down as he continue going even after pushing the car into the guardrail. Seem pretty clear cut. The drivers insurance carrier was out of Pennsylvania and tried to settle for a lot less then the car value. I found out the company did business in New York State and filed a complaint with The New York State Insurance Department needless to say within a week she received full value.

Good luck.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Your car is more than likely not totaled, I recently wrecked my 07' fit and it looked a lot worse and wasn't even close to being totaled out. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2013, 11:56 AM
If you have collision ins I think that your ins co should pay you the value of your car less your deductible and then they pay you the deductible when they collect full value from her company. When somebody rear-ends you, and smells like marijuana, it's kind of hard for her to claim it's not entirely her fault. Was she cited for DUI?

One other thing- someone rear-ended my car last year. Damage was below my deductible but my agent was helpful. The other guy's ins paid me quickly- my agent said that they wanted to settle as fast as possible because it could get expensive very quickly if I said that, for example, my neck felt a little sore after the accident. They wanted a signed waiver fast.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:09 PM
If the ball doesn't get rolling on Monday I am planning on filing a complaint with the California department of insurance. I've called her insurance adjuster and left a lengthy message basically asking how they could possibly still be investigating after having the police report for 2 days and that I felt they are trying to pull insurance fraud. This girl according to them uploaded pictures of damage to the back of her car which was never hit in the accident.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
If you have collision ins I think that your ins co should pay you the value of your car less your deductible and then they pay you the deductible when they collect full value from her company. When somebody rear-ends you, and smells like marijuana, it's kind of hard for her to claim it's not entirely her fault. Was she cited for DUI?

One other thing- someone rear-ended my car last year. Damage was below my deductible but my agent was helpful. The other guy's ins paid me quickly- my agent said that they wanted to settle as fast as possible because it could get expensive very quickly if I said that, for example, my neck felt a little sore after the accident. They wanted a signed waiver fast.
The officer noted the smell of her & gave her a sobriety test, which she passed because she was high not drunk. They did not issue her a blood test, but did mark unsafe driving speeds for condition (stopped traffic).
I have started to send her insurance my medical bills as have minor injuries and I have been out of work for a week and a half now.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:18 PM
I don't understand why, if you have insurance, you're dealing with her company. Isn't that your company's job?

Old 08-17-2013, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
I doubt it is totaled, pics are low quality and tiny, but the damage doesn't look extensive either way. One big factor is if any of your airbags deployed, did they? They are super expensive to replace and are the reasons my '09 was totaled. Either way, if they mention totaling it, let them. As someone previously said, a repaired car will likely not feel the same, although you've only had it a week.

Fits hold their value really well, so it'll take a lot of damage to total it out. Glad you're ok!

Old 08-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
I don't understand why, if you have insurance, you're dealing with her company. Isn't that your company's job?
Yes, but they are not doing a good job. I have collision coverage & I am using it, but it's been one issue another. First the tow yard couldn't find my car, they were supposed to call back they never did. I called to ask if the tow yard called my insurance back, they said they hadn't. They didn't want to call and find out and they asked me to call. I felt irritated and didn't call. Next day I had called my insurance back asked the same thing. They had not tried to call the tow yard back and still didn't locate my car. Then asked me why I thought my car had been taken there. I explained the tow truck driver had given me the card to where it was towed. Finally after hours they located my car at the tow yard. I wanted it moved to caliber collision, but they insisted that if I had it towed to one of their geico shops that an adjuster was already there and would look at it today and he would call me back. He said if I had it towed to where I wanted it would be 3 days (5 days because of the weekend) earliest being Monday. So for time sake I agreed their shop. Needless to say the day went by & nothing. I called the damage adjuster 3 times, then finally directly called geico to get a hold of him. When called he said he didn't look at my car & that he wouldn't look at it till Monday. I called the claims adjuster and his "team member" answered the phone I told him I felt deceived and that if I was going to have to wait I want my car at caliber. The guy said he was sorry I felt that way & last I knew it was being towed there. I am going to call today & make sure it arrived.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:46 PM
My main concern about my car is that it was leaking fluids and the back hatch had been pushed inward causing the trunk area to bend upward, possibly buckled. I originally was hoping it wasn't totaled, but after this forum I hope it is. Sorry the pictures suck it was dark at the time of my accident.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Did any of your airbags deploy?

Old 08-17-2013, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
The lady is clearly at fault. As for your car, sorry to hear that. I don't even think it's worth repairing. Better of just getting money for the vehicle from insurance. Front and rear damage doesn't seem worth it.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:26 PM
My air bags did not deploy which the tow truck driver thought was strange, but I think it's because most of the force was to the back. I'll put more pictures up.

Last edited by RaspberryFit4; 08-17-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Links don't work

Old 08-17-2013, 01:38 PM
If the airbags didn't deploy and there's no frame damage it's probably not totaled. Fluids may be from a punctured radiator or something like that, which isn't expensive to replace.

I've heard nothing but horror stories about Geico in CA. Drop them as soon as this claim is resolved.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Here's the pictures again..

Old 08-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
If the airbags didn't deploy and there's no frame damage it's probably not totaled. Fluids may be from a punctured radiator or something like that, which isn't expensive to replace.

I've heard nothing but horror stories about Geico in CA. Drop them as soon as this claim is resolved.
Geico has been horrific. From what I heard the Fit is a unibody and does not have a frame.

Quick Reply: Does my Honda Fit looked totaled?