General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

MP3 from USB - Losing place when car is turned off

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 11:25 AM
MP3 from USB - Losing place when car is turned off

Apologies if this has come up before, but a quick forum search for anything MP3 or USB related just gives me "how to" or "general complaints" for the most part.

Anyway, are any other owners out there experiencing anything like this?

I have a 2009 Honda Fit Sport and lately, I will be listening to MP3s from a USB drive (thumbdrive, jumpdrive, whatever you want to call it) and then turn the car off (like one does when reaching a destination).

When I start the car again later, the MP3 file I was listening to jumps backward as much as 5 or 10 minutes. (I listen to a lot of lengthy podcasts instead of music nowadays).

(Note, I have even tried switching over to radio or CD player before turning the car off, but when I start up later and switch back to the USB connection, I get the same kind of result.)

Here are the things I was thinking could be involved:
Is it the cold weather we have been experiencing?
Is there something breaking down on the USB drive? (I know they don't last forever.)
Is there some kind of file/bit-rate/compression issue in the MP3s themselves? (I've been listening to the same series of podcasts, perhaps they changed something in their file format, but I find it unlikely.)
Is something wrong with the stereo in the car?

I cannot say for sure if it is "cold" related, but it didn't seem to be happening until recently. (It could be a coincidence that the winter weather just happened to settle in around the same time as this issue cropped up.)

For the most part, when listening to songs or short podcasts, it doesn't really matter. But, as mentioned above, I tend to listen to lengthy podcasts nowadays, and since the fast-forward feature on the Honda stereo only does that "skipping ahead six-seconds at a time" thing, having to sit there through five to ten minutes of a file that could be over an hour in length is rather tedious.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-02-2014, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
My 2011 TSX does the same thing. Drives me crazy. I've resorted to listening to music on my iPod instead of the flash drive. I hope someone has a solution.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:30 AM
I've seen the same thing with long files (podcasts in particular), and I believe it's probably some interaction between the file format of the particular files and the radio, something about how it marks starting points in the files or some such. It isn't temperature related, nor would it make sense to partly lose place in a digital file due to the cold; if anything, you might (or might not) see the radio reset itself completely to the start of the first file if the standby voltage got too low.

I've also had the head unit apparently cause filesystem corruption on the flash drive once or twice, apparently when starting the car and going from the ignition off (radio off) to accessory/on (radio on) to cranking (radio off) to running (radio on) with unlucky timing or some such. I definitely recommend keeping a copy of your flash drive's files elsewhere.

Despite these annoyances (and the arbitrary/limited sorting of files), I'll still take the system over a pile of CDs any day!