General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Why is a sunroof not an option on the Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Why is a sunroof not an option on the Fit?

I'm checking out subcompacts and will be test driving a 2013 Fit base and sport model tomorrow. I'm wondering why Honda doesn't offer sunroofs as an option? I'm willing to pay extra for it but this is the first vehicle I've come across that doesn't even offer it. Is there a reason why?

Old 12-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Look at the cost of the sunroof on other similar models. It's about 1-3 thousand for it.

Honda's Fit is somewhat expensive compared to the other available subcompact hatchbacks at 15-17k. They probably didn't offer it to keep prices down. Afterall, it's about 20k for a Civic.

The Focus, Fiesta, Mazda 3, Nissan Versa/ Versa Note, and Toyota Yaris are all equally priced or cheaper. Sure some people would want a sunroof, but it's more or less for keeping production costs cheap, and keeping a cheap overall pricetag.

I'd personally love one, but I'm sure if they ever offered a sunroof, it would be on the Sport model only. Just like the Civic EX has one but no other Civic's do. Then you're 20-21k on a Sport model.

Also, the shape and overall pitch/angle of the roof is probably a pain to install one.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:19 PM
When I was looking to buy a new car a sunroof was one option I really wanted but at the end of the day the Fit still seemed to be the best car for me and did without the sun/moon roof.

I was optimistic when I saw Honda was using a large moonroof with some of the Jazz markets and that it would eventually become an option for the US market once production had moved to Mexico. However that still does not appear to be the case.

With the amount of light coming in from all the Fits windows I really haven't missed having a sun roof.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Katsumoto
Also, the shape and overall pitch/angle of the roof is probably a pain to install one.
Nah, that's not a problem at all... unless you consider the install that was a little off, but that owner did a full dual panel opening skyroof (a bit overkill). The corners in the rear are a little higher due to the down slope of the roofline in that area.... but then again the skyroof was aftermarket (Webasto).

Everyone else's I've seen with regular sized moonroofs (mine included), the fit is perfect. I actually wanted to go one size larger on mine but the shop (extremely reputable & experienced) wouldn't do it due to safety reasons (they need ~4" before the roof pillars to add additional supports).

I think you're right though its cost & price.

The Fit is an econobox in the US which goes for ~15-20 thousand dollars... in other countries it starts at like 25k+, and the model with the JDM sky roof is over $35k... which doesn't actually open, only the interior shade retracts.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:49 AM
Yea no one would buy a 35k Fit in America. Just buy an suv instead.