General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Hatch Tie Down....None

Old 08-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Hatch Tie Down....None

I was at home depot and purchased several 8ft lengths of pipe. I got to the Fit to put them in and thought the Fit would eat it right up, but the pipes were about 6in too long so I had to tie down the hatch. I tied the bottom to the hatch latch on the bottom and looked up on the hatch to tie it to something and there wasn't squat. I mean it, there is nothing to tie it to. I ended up tying it to the rear wiper at its base. I was not happy, but I am also really hungover. Has anybody discovered a better place to tie the hatch? while maybe not hungover

Old 08-25-2006, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
under the rear spare tire cover, is the spare tire. might be something in there to hook onto?

Old 08-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Joe Fit, I think he is asking for a place on the hatch to tie to, not on the car. There are many places on the actually car to tie to (including the d-rings in the trunk for the cargo net. I will have to take a look and see if I find anything on the hatch. I know there is a handle on the right side, but I don't think anything can be tied to it.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:06 PM
If you stick a metal ring or even a carabiner in the hatch latch you can make your own mounting point! Just insert the ring into the latch and put a little pressure on it to "close" it. To release it you just using the door handle like you were opening it normally. Ha!

Old 08-26-2006, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
I'm like, duh...... boy am I slow. the link hook is a neat idea and it might be worth the trouble to put one near the spare tire, for when its needed.

sorry, I guess I didnt get the original question, sometimes I'm slow like that.

joe

Old 08-27-2006, 03:40 AM
I bought a little device that has two hook like things on it (like in the pics above, sort of) and you snap one into the latch and hook the other one onto the hatch latch. It also has a retractable and lockable string in the body of it so you can make it as long as you like...

Very nifty, should look to see if you can find something like it online.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:48 AM
looks cool, definitly wouldn't have thought of that at the time

Old 08-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by kingpenguin
I bought a little device that has two hook like things on it (like in the pics above, sort of) and you snap one into the latch and hook the other one onto the hatch latch. It also has a retractable and lockable string in the body of it so you can make it as long as you like...

Very nifty, should look to see if you can find something like it online.
Any other info to help us locate something similar?

If not I'll load up on something similar to what dpseal has posted. Will definately come in handy!

Old 08-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Here you go:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43391

Took me a while to find it. I bet they sell that other places, but I got it from this Lee Valley company that is based here in Canada.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Lee Valley tools, crack cocaine for do it yourselfers! I'll have to get a few of those next time I'm there!

Old 08-28-2006, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
When I had to put eight 8 foot long pieces of wood in my Fit I ended up with the back ends of the wood OVER the crossbeam of the cargo cover and the front ends were right under the glovebox. It was a very tight fit - they were almost touching the rear glass.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
But, it "Fit" in the "Fit".
boatfloyd

Old 08-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Yah Lee Valley is nuts. I didn't even know half that stuff existed! One day came out with that thing, a compost bucket and about 35 pounds of catalogs. :-)

Old 10-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Great idea with the carabiner or key ring. NO CHANCE it will jam the latch?

Last edited by veggiegrrrl; 10-19-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
put sum weather strip from homedepo and vib should be gone idk my friends rx7 2second gen bak window rattles and i cut a piece of that weather stuff and sound gone

Old 10-19-2012, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
The carabiner diameter should be close to the diameter of the latch piece at the base of the hatch. I used this arrangement successfully last week to hold the hatch down when hauling oversize Ikea pieces. I ran a bungee through the carabiner and the hatch base mating link to hold the hatch down. The bungee should be tight to keep the hatch from bouncing while driving. Better still, use an adjustable strap or rope. An added benefit of locking the carabiner into the hatch latch is that the cargo light stays off and doesn't run down the battery while the hatch is open.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:34 PM
There's a pop out cover to what I believe is the wiper or light on the inside of the hatch itself, I use a key to pop it out, then use a bungee cord (carefully placed) to the metal part of the hatch, then run that under my load to the D-rings....

Hope this helps.

FB

Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Banned
If you lower the seat-backs of the passenger seat to the flat position, 8 ft. lumber will fit easily under the glove box down to the firewall. No tie down is necessary. But if you still need to tie the hatch down, you can put the hook end of a bungee cord in the handle pocket of the hatch, and hook the other end to the edge of the rear bumper, or around a trailer hitch (which is what I do). Why is this such a mystery?

Old 02-19-2022, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
If you lower the seat-backs of the passenger seat to the flat position, 8 ft. lumber will fit easily under the glove box down to the firewall. No tie down is necessary. But if you still need to tie the hatch down, you can put the hook end of a bungee cord in the handle pocket of the hatch, and hook the other end to the edge of the rear bumper, or around a trailer hitch (which is what I do). Why is this such a mystery?
i've had 8 footers in mine , , ditto the front seat goes flat , i also slide off the head rest . sometimes i need to rest the wood on the dashboard , i'll have a moving blanket on the dash and wrap the end of the bundle to protect the windshield . i've had 8 footers in my '02 civic SI , that worked since i didn't have the high backs in that car . long story short , they were stolen when the car was two years old , so i replaced them with seats out of a civic sedan , as an anti theft measure

Old 02-22-2022, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, an old thread with new life. For a hatch tie-down, I just replaced the upper two license plate screws with eye bolts. They're M6 metric which can be found by searching "m6 eye bolt stainless" on Amazon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hatch Tie Down....None