General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

7-11 that shows Exxon on the pump. Is it Top Tier?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
7-11 that shows Exxon on the pump. Is it Top Tier?

The 2015 Fit recommends Top Tier gas because of the direct injection engine.

The local 7-11 shows Exxon on the pump and Exxon is listed as a Top Tier gas. However the Gas Buddy Android APP is not showing it as Top Tier.

So, question, is it or is it not Top Tier?

Old 01-19-2015, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by CIOWN
The 2015 Fit recommends Top Tier gas because of the direct injection engine.

The local 7-11 shows Exxon on the pump and Exxon is listed as a Top Tier gas. However the Gas Buddy Android APP is not showing it as Top Tier.

So, question, is it or is it not Top Tier?
I don't think anyone at this forum would really know the answer for sure.

As of 2014, BMW, GM, Honda, Toyota, MB & VW started to specify to use Top Tier gasoline on ALL their cars because it has more detergent in it.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:39 PM
Most of the gas available now meets the "top tier" specifications even if the refiner refuses to pay the licensing fee to use the "top tier" name.

Even if you do run a occasional tank with less detergent it won't be an issue. It's not like it's poisonous. The next tank of high-detergent gasoline will even things out.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chazman
I don't think anyone at this forum would really know the answer for sure.
Really, no one on this forum would know.

Maybe someone on this forum works for 7-11 and could answer. Or maybe someone already verified that it is or is not Top Tier.

I think I will wait to see if that someone else responds.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Most of the gas available now meets the "top tier" specifications even if the refiner refuses to pay the licensing fee to use the "top tier" name.

Even if you do run an occasional tank with less detergent it won't be an issue. It's not like it's poisonous. The next tank of high-detergent gasoline will even things out.
The problem is I am only filling up at the local 7-11 that has Exxon on their pumps because I earn money off from my local Tom Thumb that can be used there.

I assumed that it was Top Tier but with Gas Buddy not showing it as such I am now concerned.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Its generic gas and is not top tier. It does meet the government minimum amount for detergents but there is more to gas than that. It will not hurt your car and would not be concerned unless your mpg falls. Exxon is the biggest supplier of generic gas. That is why they are No1 in gas sold. Mobil is the top tier brand and is made by Exxon.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:30 AM
Administrator
Exxon is Top Tier, if thats what they are pumping then it is Top Tier...

http://www.exxon.com/fuels

Old 01-20-2015, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Its generic gas and is not top tier. It does meet the government minimum amount for detergents but there is more to gas than that. It will not hurt your car and would not be concerned unless your mpg falls. Exxon is the biggest supplier of generic gas. That is why they are No1 in gas sold. Mobil is the top tier brand and is made by Exxon.
Then why is Exxon listed along with Mobile as being Top Tier?

Top Tier Gasoline

Last edited by CIOWN; 01-20-2015 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Waiz
Exxon is Top Tier, if thats what they are pumping then it is Top Tier...
And that is my question. How can I verify that my 7-11 is actually pumping Exxon gas.

Is it just good enough that they have Exxon plastered on the pumps or do I need to stake out them and wait for a tanker to come in to refuel the storage tanks?

Old 01-20-2015, 05:13 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
why is this thread even open. Go to a different gas station if you are so worried. This discussion literally contributes NOTHING to the forum. That being said isn't gas in texas like 1.99 a gallon or something? its 20 bucks to fill up your tank if you're stressed about it go to a chevron and pay 21.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:18 AM
I thought Exxon = Mobil? Mobil is top tier I know.

Do Mobil and Exxon stations coexist in the same areas? There are Mobil stations here in CA but no Exxon stations, that's why I ask.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by s0x
why is this thread even open. Go to a different gas station if you are so worried. This discussion literally contributes NOTHING to the forum..
Sorry but the NOTHING is what you have contributed to this discussion.

If you have no understanding as to why this thread is here then I suggest reading from the start of the thread instead of jumping into threads that clearly you have no interest in just to post your 2 cents.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Do Mobil and Exxon stations coexist in the same areas? There are Mobil stations here in CA but no Exxon stations, that's why I ask.
All but one of the ExxonMobile stations here in the Dallas TX area are Exxon with a single Mobile station.

Find Gas Stations Near Me | Exxon and Mobil Fuel Finder

Old 01-20-2015, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
I can't speak to your specific Exxon, but near me there is a (former) Exxon station that now sells Valero gas (that's what the person working there told me when I went inside to ask why my SpeedPass didn't work). This station does not show up on the ExxonMobil website as a valid station, yet the Exxon signs are still up and the pumps still say "Exxon". And it's been over a year since the change.

My guess is that if the station is shown on the ExxonMobil website, it does in fact sell their gas.

In response to another comment/question, generally there are no Exxon stations near Mobil stations. I am pretty sure that there are no Mobil stations in PA (at least the western half); if I cross over into West Virginia, there is an Exxon station along I-70 and a Mobil nearby. Then in Ohio I can't find either one (along a diagonal route to Michigan). In Michigan there are Mobil, but no Exxon stations.

Of course, their website shows all of both stations.

I just checked the ExxonMobil station finder and if your 7-11 is the one at 100 W. Sandy Lake Road, they do claim it as their own. Good as it gets.

I've been diligent about running Top Tier gas since I figured out why one of my Harleys idled poorly on other gas. On random gas (just whatever I happened to buy) I found the idle air control valve to be fairly dirty when I serviced it at 5000 mile intervals. Running strictly Top Tier gas, the idle was consistently better, with much less filth on the IAC valve.

It was never obvious to me if the gas I bought mattered on other motorcycles or cars, but I have to think that Top Tier gas is more likely to keep the valves cleaner. If I'm on a trip and have to run something else, no big deal, but around here I run Exxon, BP (lots of those here), or Shell (few of those).

Last edited by cookiemech; 01-20-2015 at 09:43 AM. Reason: added info about his local station
Old 01-20-2015, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by cookiemech
It was never obvious to me if the gas I bought mattered on other motorcycles or cars, but I have to think that Top Tier gas is more likely to keep the valves cleaner.
Not on 2015 Fit or any direct injected engines because fuel never touches the (intake) valves. Fuel is directly injected into the combustion chamber in DI engines. But it would keep the pistons cleaner from carbon deposit accumulation.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:35 AM
Not on 2015 Fit or any direct injected engines because fuel never touches the (intake) valves. Fuel is directly injected into the combustion chamber in DI engines. But it would keep the pistons cleaner from carbon deposit accumulation.
You beat me to pointing that out! Good fuel will also keep the injectors from getting clogged at some point as DI engines have several small holes arranged in a spray pattern to carefully aim the fuel in the chamber. If those start to clog then the pattern can get messed up and the combustion will start to suffer. That being said, running a mix of Top Tier and lower detergent fuel will likely keep your engine running well for the long term.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:27 PM
Administrator
And that is my question. How can I verify that my 7-11 is actually pumping Exxon gas.

Is it just good enough that they have Exxon plastered on the pumps or do I need to stake out them and wait for a tanker to come in to refuel the storage tanks?
You're insisting that the station is comitting fraud, this is a reach

Just pump away, you won't have any problems I am 100% sure

Old 01-20-2015, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
Of course you're right . . . I was thinking about Harleys rather than the subject at hand, which is the Fit!

Old 01-20-2015, 03:24 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Sorry but the NOTHING is what you have contributed to this discussion.

If you have no understanding as to why this thread is here then I suggest reading from the start of the thread instead of jumping into threads that clearly you have no interest in just to post your 2 cents.
i understand that you're paranoid and think that the 7-11 corporation is lying to you and in your paranoia you're so concerned about getting what is probably a few pennies back that your willing to put your car at risk (even though there is no risk) and its stressing you out so much that you had to take it to the internet instead of going across the street to another gas station lol. that being said even if it were subpar gas which it most likely isn't throw some techron or royal purple in your tank every once in a while and you'll be just as good as new.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
Don't worry about where you get your gas from cause they ALL get their gas from the same refineries. The whole top tier thing is just a marketing gimmick to get folks to pay more for the same stuff. So best to get gas at the lowest cost location, for me that is Costco. The extra $$ you are paying is not for better gas but for the advertisement that those companies put up. Companies that don't advertise have a much lower operation cost so pass the savings on to the consumer. Example with shell gas they advertise nitrogen as cleaning the motor...nitrogen is inert so doesn't do anything but takes up space so you are paying more for less gas. If you want to keep your motor clean just use some sea foam about once every 10k miles and that should do it.

It is like bottle water, you are just paying high $$$ for tap water that cost pennies for gallons instead of dollars for onces in bottle water.

Quick Reply: 7-11 that shows Exxon on the pump. Is it Top Tier?