General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2010 Honda Fit Sport terrible in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
I also have a '10 Sport. My first winter with it (and second, for that matter), I found it really squirrely. When the ABS kicked in, it tended to want to rotate. Since 2012, I've had studded winter tires on the car, and it handles exponentially better. I've even plowed through snow that I should have gotten stuck in. It still wants to rotate a bit, but not as much as on my all seasons.

NOTE: All season tires are a compromise. They are designed with some of the characteristics of summer tires and winter tires in mind, but they compromise to reduce the limitations of summer tires and winter tires. In other words, where a winter tire will excel, an all season will perform marginally at best because where a winter tire will perform marginally, the all season performs quite well (dry pavement).

My advice to you is to get yourself a pair of good, studded winter tires. You won't look back. Mine are decent, but don't make the list posted above. I've no idea how they would compare. Anybody got a link to the full list?

Old 02-19-2015, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
I forgot to mention, by the way... I asked my dealer the first winter with the car if they could check the brakes (something needing to be adjusted?). They said my experience was normal because of the weight distribution of the car. They recommended that I install winter tires, which I've done, and as I noted above, it has 90% corrected the problem.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andrew19942001
I didn't think they made a 2014
In Canada, we had a 2014...

Old 02-19-2015, 05:40 AM
5 Year Member
You can also try the Toyo GSI-5 winter tires. They do very well in snow...

Old 02-19-2015, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
In what way is it inferior? AWD does not help you turn or stop.
Subaru with AWD moved easier --there is a bit more slipping and sliding with the Fit, better momentum on subaru-stopping is the same - I never use snow tires, only all season radials. We don't get enough snow where I live to justify an entire season with snows

Old 02-19-2015, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2010FitInSK
I also have a '10 Sport. My first winter with it (and second, for that matter), I found it really squirrely. When the ABS kicked in, it tended to want to rotate. Since 2012, I've had studded winter tires on the car, and it handles exponentially better. I've even plowed through snow that I should have gotten stuck in. It still wants to rotate a bit, but not as much as on my all seasons.

NOTE: All season tires are a compromise. They are designed with some of the characteristics of summer tires and winter tires in mind, but they compromise to reduce the limitations of summer tires and winter tires. In other words, where a winter tire will excel, an all season will perform marginally at best because where a winter tire will perform marginally, the all season performs quite well (dry pavement).

My advice to you is to get yourself a pair of good, studded winter tires. You won't look back. Mine are decent, but don't make the list posted above. I've no idea how they would compare. Anybody got a link to the full list?
Yes, a/s tires are a compromise...but if you can't drive a car through the snow with A/S....you're doing something wrong.

Originally Posted by sooznd
Subaru with AWD moved easier --there is a bit more slipping and sliding with the Fit, better momentum on subaru-stopping is the same - I never use snow tires, only all season radials. We don't get enough snow where I live to justify an entire season with snows
Who cares about the initial 0-5 run? Ugh, the day people stop saying how great AWD is in the snow is the day I stop being annoyed with people.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, a/s tires are a compromise...but if you can't drive a car through the snow with A/S....you're doing something wrong.

Who cares about the initial 0-5 run? Ugh, the day people stop saying how great AWD is in the snow is the day I stop being annoyed with people.

Well there is a reason the Subaru is the Official state Car of Colorado.
Bet there are more Subie's here than any other brand.
As much as I love my Fit, my next car will be an AWD-- sure hope Honda makes an AWD Fit

Old 02-19-2015, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
Well there is a reason the Subaru is the Official state Car of Colorado.
Bet there are more Subie's here than any other brand.
As much as I love my Fit, my next car will be an AWD-- sure hope Honda makes an AWD Fit
Why though? I'll sum up what AWD does in the snow:

1.) Gives you greater confidence in your car's capabilities.
2.) Gets you to a crash faster with improved acceleration.
3.) Wastes even more gas.

Actually, I'm done with this argument. Some people will just never understand things like this.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
The car's fine, I think it's you. Sorry.

Yes, Boston's getting a lot of snow, but I'm just a bit north of you. I'm also in my second winter with a 2013 Base (OE tires) and I'm doing fine: one of my hobbies is passing Jeeps in snowstorms.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Why though? I'll sum up what AWD does in the snow:

1.) Gives you greater confidence in your car's capabilities.
2.) Gets you to a crash faster with improved acceleration.
3.) Wastes even more gas.

Actually, I'm done with this argument. Some people will just never understand things like this.
Agree with you totally! IMO, there are two things an AWD SUV will do better in the snow compared to an FWD sedan/hatch/whatever:
1. climb a steeper hill (and they aren't steep enough around here to make AWD necessary)
2. deal with really deep snow better due to its increased ground clearance

For everything else, especially stopping & turning, give me the lighter-weight 2WD machine on winter tires that will stop & turn better than even the AWD version of the same vehicle, also on winter tires. If one searches Car and Driver's web site, there's an instrumented test they performed years ago which returned exactly these results.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Actually, the best thing AWD ever did in the snow was change lanes safely. When you're crossing the snow ridge between the lanes you've still got two drive wheels on pavement. It makes for a very stable feeling.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
Actually, the best thing AWD ever did in the snow was change lanes safely. When you're crossing the snow ridge between the lanes you've still got two drive wheels on pavement. It makes for a very stable feeling.
Agreed, i used to have an awd Santa fe, that car was awesome in the snow, gas mileage sucked, but it would go anywhere in the snow, since I moved to Savannah I don't see too much snow anymore, so the fit is the perfect car for here and my Conti extremes are fantastic in the rain.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:14 PM
I have an 08 sport, it came with Dunlops and the best thing I can say about them is they were "rim protectors" in other words okay for summer but in snow they were really bad news.
I went with aftermarket 14" steel wheels and a 195 wide tire, but the tires are winter specific General Altimax Artic's and swap out the factory alloy wheels, fit with some pretty nice firestone touring tires come April.
This winter tire set up exudes confidence, the Misses does not like the summer tires, esp in the rain. Put it this way with winter tires this car is a blast to drive, trouble is other cars around you will behave like they are on ice while you go zipping about. I love leaving 4WD vehicles at the light.
Yes it IS that great, Night & Day diff

Old 02-20-2015, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
Stock Dunflops are the worst. Get a decent set of all-seasons, or better yet, a snow tire package. If your local shops don't have what you want, order a complete set from Tirerack or Discount Tire Direct. I have 2 sets myself. With the snow wheelset on, Fit is very capable in snow. FF design puts the weight over the drive wheels, so extra weight isn't necessary.

If you find yourself in extreme conditions, studded snow tires perform noticeably better. I had studded Nokian Hakka's. Those things were awesome in snow (but admit they were annoying on dry pavement)

Old 02-20-2015, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
The OP is in Boston. It's not extreme.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
The OP is in Boston. It's not extreme.
Hopefully the sarcastic tone of your post is being blocked on my end somehow.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:35 PM
Mine was pretty bad on all season tires, I switched to winter tires now and it's better than any other car I've had in the snow.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:18 AM
I call my 2010 Fit a hover craft when it comes to snow

My 2010 Fit Sport is not too great on the snow either. I had a 1992 Civic that was a little snow plow...that thing handled great and I expected the same from my Fit. Not so. I found the best thing I can do is get in the tire tracks of another vehicle with my left wheel and drive a tad slower, but have had vehicles pass me and land in the ditch. There have been days when I simply need to take our big gas drinking pickup to work rather than risk the Fit putting me in the ditch. That said, I do love my Fit and it meets my needs very nicely for most of the year.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by shawnshank
This is only my second winter with my fit and it's been a terrible one at that but I have to say that this is the absolute worst car I have ever owned when it comes to feeling safe while driving in snowy conditions. With even the slightest bit of snow on the ground it slips and slides and I feel like it's going to spin out of control at any moment. I can;t drive faster than 40 miles per hour on the highway when it's snowing because I can feel it moving underneath me. I have new tires on it and everything...it's just so light it doesn't stick to the ground. I love my fit but I'm going to have to get rid of it after this winter because its just not safe. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there anything that might help? I assume I can throw some weight in it but I'd need at least 500 lbs and I don't even know what to use to get that much weight (or where to put it).

Put actual snow tires on it not all seasons which are anything but.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by deany
My 2010 Fit Sport is not too great on the snow either. I had a 1992 Civic that was a little snow plow...that thing handled great and I expected the same from my Fit. Not so. I found the best thing I can do is get in the tire tracks of another vehicle with my left wheel and drive a tad slower, but have had vehicles pass me and land in the ditch. There have been days when I simply need to take our big gas drinking pickup to work rather than risk the Fit putting me in the ditch. That said, I do love my Fit and it meets my needs very nicely for most of the year.
the oem dunlops were piss poor in the snow, had much difficulty going above 10mph during a blizzard a couple of years ago. got Blizzaks now, and damn my Fit can get thru snow/ice without any issues.

Quick Reply: 2010 Honda Fit Sport terrible in the snow