General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2010 Honda Fit Sport terrible in the snow

Old 02-18-2015, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
2010 Honda Fit Sport terrible in the snow

This is only my second winter with my fit and it's been a terrible one at that but I have to say that this is the absolute worst car I have ever owned when it comes to feeling safe while driving in snowy conditions. With even the slightest bit of snow on the ground it slips and slides and I feel like it's going to spin out of control at any moment. I can;t drive faster than 40 miles per hour on the highway when it's snowing because I can feel it moving underneath me. I have new tires on it and everything...it's just so light it doesn't stick to the ground. I love my fit but I'm going to have to get rid of it after this winter because its just not safe. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there anything that might help? I assume I can throw some weight in it but I'd need at least 500 lbs and I don't even know what to use to get that much weight (or where to put it).

Old 02-18-2015, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
No problem with my 2014 Fit sport...

Only thing I hate is when it is really windy. But otherwise, no problem...

Old 02-18-2015, 12:41 PM
My friend has a 13 fit and it drove fine. What tires are you running and are you sure its snow under you and not ice that's covered by snow?

Old 02-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Interesting... my wife drives 2011 Sport with new stock tires and it's pretty awesome in snow. She used to drive a AWD Honda Cr-v and she complements the Fit on handling in winter conditions.
Have you considered winter tires?

Old 02-18-2015, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
No problem with my 2009 Base either. Now, we don't get as much snow here in the Pacific NW as you've been getting in Boston (I grew up & learned to drive in NY & New England, so I'm familiar with winters there in the Salt Belt), but we have had enough to make driving a challenge.

You mentioned "new tires". Just exactly what kind of tires are we talking about here? If they aren't winter tires, I'm not at all surprised at your experience; winter tires make a BIG difference with the Fit.

You need to try out the Fit on winter tires before you give up on it...

Old 02-18-2015, 01:12 PM
This is my 7th winter with my Fit. I think my Fit does great in the slippery stuff considering it's such a light car with small wheels/tires, and that I use all-weather tires and not "snow tires". I have an auto, so I use S mode and the paddles in the snow. 2nd is great for taking off from a stop, and I like being able to control the engine braking. Make sure your tires are properly inflated and have good tread remaining, and buy tires that are good in the snow (check reviews on TireRack.com).

Old 02-18-2015, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 4thCornerFit
No problem with my 2009 Base either. Now, we don't get as much snow here in the Pacific NW as you've been getting in Boston (I grew up & learned to drive in NY & New England, so I'm familiar with winters there in the Salt Belt), but we have had enough to make driving a challenge.

You mentioned "new tires". Just exactly what kind of tires are we talking about here? If they aren't winter tires, I'm not at all surprised at your experience; winter tires make a BIG difference with the Fit.

You need to try out the Fit on winter tires before you give up on it...
Wow I am really surprised that no one has had an issue with the snow. I got the stock tires. Dunlops I think.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by shawnshank
This is only my second winter with my fit and it's been a terrible one at that but I have to say that this is the absolute worst car I have ever owned when it comes to feeling safe while driving in snowy conditions. With even the slightest bit of snow on the ground it slips and slides and I feel like it's going to spin out of control at any moment. I can;t drive faster than 40 miles per hour on the highway when it's snowing because I can feel it moving underneath me. I have new tires on it and everything...it's just so light it doesn't stick to the ground. I love my fit but I'm going to have to get rid of it after this winter because its just not safe. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there anything that might help? I assume I can throw some weight in it but I'd need at least 500 lbs and I don't even know what to use to get that much weight (or where to put it).

I live in sunny southern california and I aint got that problem.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
You're doing something wrong, this is my first winter in my '12 Sport (on new Yokohama Avid Ascend ) and I've had zero issues in snow, same can be said for the last three with my old '08 base.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
I have a 2010. Been driving through the current Boston snows without a problem. This is my third winter with this car. I use Blizzak snow tires all around and have never had a problem. By the way, the stock tires really don't do very well in the snow.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I don't think weight is the issue. If I could get around in the snow with my 2200 lb B12 Sentra with no ABS or safety features to speak of.

It's your tires. I don't think the stock Dunlops are very good at anything. More like marginal at everything. On a good day.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rampo
I have a 2010. Been driving through the current Boston snows without a problem. This is my third winter with this car. I use Blizzak snow tires all around and have never had a problem. By the way, the stock tires really don't do very well in the snow.
Where did you get your Blizzaks because every place I called only had two options and they weren't one of them.
Where did you get your Blizzaks because every place I called had only 2 options?

Old 02-18-2015, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
FWIW, here are the current top-rated winter tires from Consumer Reports, in order:

Michelin X-Ice Xi3
Michelin X-Ice Xi2
Hankook i*cept evo
Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II
Uniroyal Tiger Paw Ice & Snow II
Bridgestone Blizzak WS70

Blizzaks are by no means the only way to go, so look around and see what's available in one of these that'll fit your car.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:00 PM
I have Michelin X-ice 2 winter tires on my wife's '13 and she has no problems. Then again, she'll readily admit that she drives like an old woman on snow and ice.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
Just got our Fit a few weeks ago, but so far it seems to handle at least as well as our minivan did in the snow. We have decent tires, but they're all-weather.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:21 PM
2014?

Originally Posted by Frenzal
No problem with my 2014 Fit sport...

Only thing I hate is when it is really windy. But otherwise, no problem...
I didn't think they made a 2014

Old 02-18-2015, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by shawnshank
Its likely your tires, and I think 500 lbs is too much, you could put a couple bags of kitty litter back there but it won't do much since your drive wheels are up front, in the old days we put weight in the back because the cars were rear wheel drive now with most of the cars being front wheel drive its less important. The fit is so light and sits so low to the ground its imperative to have really good tires, depending how far north you are, snow tires, el cheapo all seasons won't cut it. Spring's not far off, hang in there, in another month or two this will all be a distant memory. BTW I'll put my 2wd 94 ranger against the fit anyday as worst ever in the snow, there were days I got stuck backing out of my own driveway lol

Last edited by andrew19942001; 02-18-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
I put those Michelin X-ice 3 tires on my '12 Fit Sport, size 175/65r15 on 15x5.5 honda steel rims (bought at Honda dealer). They're a bit narrower so they can work well in deeper snow and especially highway slush. Not cheap but Excellent to drive on in crappy great lakes winter road conditions, plus they are great on cold wet pavement.
I like them just fine on dry days although I don't beat on them in the corners because they're valuable and I want them to last (that's what warm weather and the summer tires are for).

Old 02-18-2015, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
I also have a 2010 Fit Sport- the Fit is definitely not as good as my former AWD Subaru in snow, but not that bad-- I got new tires last spring (Yokohama Avid Ascends) and they are so much better than the original Dunlops. I am sure any of those snow specific tires 4thCornerFit listed would be even better in snow.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
I also have a 2010 Fit Sport- the Fit is definitely not as good as my former AWD Subaru in snow, but not that bad-- I got new tires last spring (Yokohama Avid Ascends) and they are so much better than the original Dunlops. I am sure any of those snow specific tires 4thCornerFit listed would be even better in snow.
In what way is it inferior? AWD does not help you turn or stop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Honda Fit Sport terrible in the snow