General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Just left the dealer, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
Just left the dealer, need opinions

Yes, I just purchased a 2007 Sport AT 1 owner with 23k og miles. YES 23,000 original miles!!! I have been waiting to own a fit for about 8yrs now, as you can see from my first and only post on this forum back in '08 ?? With that said I'm very hyped on this purchase the deal is done and the contracts are signed but I need to make one more decision. Right now its only covered under a 90 day warranty and the deal has offered me a 3yr extended warranty, Its priced at 1,300 for full coverage doesn't sound like a bad idea to me but wanted to get some other opinions.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator
23k miles? is this certified preowned? why is it only a 90 day warranty? how's the car fax? is the 90 day warranty because it was salvaged at one point?

if this is a clean car and no problems whatsoever, everything is good until 100k miles. how much are u paying OTD for the car? KBB for a pristine 2007 AT is $9500. is it worth it paying almost 15% of KBB value for a warranty?

Old 06-13-2015, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
23k miles? is this certified preowned? why is it only a 90 day warranty? how's the car fax? is the 90 day warranty because it was salvaged at one point?

if this is a clean car and no problems whatsoever, everything is good until 100k miles. how much are u paying OTD for the car? KBB for a pristine 2007 AT is $9500. is it worth it paying almost 15% of KBB value for a warranty?
Honda doesn't certified anything over six years old as far as I know. The car fax reads clean no accidents reported and showing one owner. OTD after all tax's and fees came to $10,500

I'm not planning on keeping the car for more than three years. In a ideal world I would like to trade it in for a 2016 or 2017.

Last edited by NJFitFreak; 06-13-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:36 AM
I haven't seen any dealer that will certify a 8 year old car. Most will also sell as is. A 90 day warranty gives you a chance to see if it needs anything now.

Normally I do not buy extended warranties on anything. Just remember it puts additional money in the dealers pocket, you have to read the fine print to see what the extended warranty covers. It's usually a money loser to the buyer. But if your engine blows you will be happy you have it. But what are the odds of your engine or transmission blowing up. Typically those type warranties will not cover things like oil/water leaks, brakes, clutch or other wear items.

Clifton

Old 06-13-2015, 12:32 PM
What are you expecting to break down in the next three years that will cost more than $1300 to repair? And, if you are expecting that, why are you buying the car in the first place?

Save your money. If you're worried about repairs, put the $1300 aside in a savings account and use it if and when needed to pay for repairs to your car. I would bet that you'd have money left over in three years that you could apply towards whatever car you buy then.

A handy rule of thumb: dealers don't push add-ons that they generally lose money on.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NJFitFreak
Yes, I just purchased a 2007 Sport AT 1 owner with 23k og miles. YES 23,000 original miles!!! I have been waiting to own a fit for about 8yrs now, as you can see from my first and only post on this forum back in '08 ?? With that said I'm very hyped on this purchase the deal is done and the contracts are signed but I need to make one more decision. Right now its only covered under a 90 day warranty and the deal has offered me a 3yr extended warranty, Its priced at 1,300 for full coverage doesn't sound like a bad idea to me but wanted to get some other opinions.
1. check the fox for verification of mileage; and hondatoo, not the dealer.
2. $1300 is pretty high for honda fit; check majestic honda in RI for their warranty quote. 3 years and what mileage unlimited ? good luck.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
I'd have it checked by your own mechanic and probably skip the warranty. Unless you lose the engine or transmission, you aren't likely to have to put 1300 into it in 3 years. Like was said before, I'd throw the 1300 in a savings account for repairs and let it go with that. If it really makes you nervous, add $100/month to the savings until you get to a comfortable level and then when you don't need it for repairs, you'll have a nice sum for a down payment, etc.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
So I opted out on the extended warranty but I'm starting to have my regrets and running out of patience, something i have a lot of. I purchased this car on Friday the 12th but I had the dealer touch up some of the chipped paint on the back bumper before I picked it up on the following Tuesday the 16th. Everything on the car was fine till the sun went down and I turned on the headlights. When I switched on the headlights the dash lights and radio lights would dim, also the RPM cluster would turn off. Ok so its shorting out somewhere. I return the car back to the dealer on Wednesday the 17th less than 24hrs of having the car, It is now the 23rd and the issue still isn't resolved. They have acknowledged it is a short and are not able to track down the part they need to fix (back order from honda). Last week they told me it would be fixed by Today and now today they are telling me they don't know when it will be fixed. This Honda dealer doesn't offer loaners but they ended up renting me a car from Enterprise last Friday. My patience are running low and I have been nothing but understanding but I'm not sure how much longer that will last.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
So I opted out on the extended warranty but I'm starting to have my regrets and running out of patience, something i have a lot of. I purchased this car on Friday the 12th but I had the dealer touch up some of the chipped paint on the back bumper before I picked it up on the following Tuesday the 16th. Everything on the car was fine till the sun went down and I turned on the headlights. When I switched on the headlights the dash lights and radio lights would dim, also the RPM cluster would turn off. Ok so its shorting out somewhere. I return the car back to the dealer on Wednesday the 17th less than 24hrs of having the car, It is now the 23rd and the issue still isn't resolved. They have acknowledged it is a short and are not able to track down the part they need to fix (back order from honda). Last week they told me it would be fixed by Today and now today they are telling me they don't know when it will be fixed. This Honda dealer doesn't offer loaners but they ended up renting me a car from Enterprise last Friday. My patience are running low and I have been nothing but understanding but I'm not sure how much longer that will last.
check to see if your state has a law that makes returning within 3 days subject to lemon laws.
in defense of the dealer finding a short is a time consuming task and needs a voltohmeter to check various circuits until it is isolated and tracked down. its not easy at all. a first cut is disconnecting the battery ground to see it is there, which in all lighly hood it it is, next remove he connectors from the headlights and check voltage and circuits . replace one fuse at a time switching to isolate the ground, the case we had here involved a customer who installed driving lights and miswired the ground.

to show how difficult the isolation the lights themselves may be the parallel ground. check the instrument cluster grounds and that takes a hour or two.
supposedly they isolated the short and its part; they should be able to get a replacement part fairly quickly even if had to source the factory in mexico.

I'm curious if the car taded in that way. good reason why so few miles too.
and check majestic honda in RI for their extended warranty; they used to off the best for the least.

Last edited by mahout; 06-23-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
check to see if your state has a law that makes returning within 3 days subject to lemon laws.
in defense of the dealer finding a short is a time consuming task and needs a voltohmeter to check various circuits until it is isolated and tracked down. its not easy at all. a first cut is disconnecting the battery ground to see it is there, which in all lighly hood it it is, next remove he connectors from the headlights and check voltage and circuits . replace one fuse at a time switching to isolate the ground, the case we had here involved a customer who installed driving lights and miswired the ground.

to show how difficult the isolation the lights themselves may be the parallel ground. check the instrument cluster grounds and that takes a hour or two.
supposedly they isolated the short and its part; they should be able to get a replacement part fairly quickly even if had to source the factory in mexico.

I'm curious if the car taded in that way. good reason why so few miles too.
and check majestic honda in RI for their extended warranty; they used to off the best for the least.

From what I have read in the state of NJ Lemon Law kicks in if they can't fix the problem after 20 days or the same problem goes in for services after three times. I would think the car was traded in with this problem because it was only listed for sale for 4 days before I made the purchase. I'm thinking the dealer complete missed the problem before putting it up for sale. The keep telling me the piece they need to fix the problem is on back order and they don't have a date of a restock. So right now its a waiting game on my end with every day going by I'm getting a little more impatient. They don't even call me to keep me up to date with the situation. I have to keep chasing them down for information and its getting a little annoying. The salesman I was dealing with hasn't even called me once since I told him about the problem. Soon ill be making my first payment without even driving the car. End Rant...

Old 06-24-2015, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Read to see if the law applies to 8 year old used cars. I'll bet it doesn't.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
Read to see if the law applies to 8 year old used cars. I'll bet it doesn't.
It does in fact apply.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
IANAL, but my reading of www.njconsumeraffairs.gov disagrees with yours.

They have a useful Lemon Law Brochure, and page 9 talks about your situation:

What vehicles are covered under the Used Car Lemon Law

The law covers passenger vehicles, purchased from a licensed dealer, which are seven (7) model years old or less.
I'm not addressing what should happen, but it looks like the dealer's actual legal obligations are more limited.

Last edited by Fit Charlie; 06-25-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
IANAL, but my reading of www.njconsumeraffairs.gov disagrees with yours.

They have a useful Lemon Law Brochure, and page 9 talks about your situation:

I'm not addressing what should happen, but it looks like the dealer's actual legal obligations are more limited.

You are correct, I guess my math is terrible. Oh and the dealer still has the car twenty days later and I'm still in a loaner.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member
I just went to the dealer, and they gave me the price sheet for the extended warranty for a new fit, and $1300 for 3 years for 'bumper to bumper' is good but it has to be true 'bumper to bumper' so that everything is covered and watch out for the deductibles, the finance guy said the 'gold plan' had deductibles while the 'platinum plan' covered everything no charge. Just to compare, I have to pay $2000 for 4 years extended warranty on a 2015 Fit, so your getting a fair value for the 3 year.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
It's finished going to pick up the car tonight and speak with the manager. The dealer is going to issue me a check for the first two payments. I'm also going to see what else i can squeeze out of them and look into that extended warranty.