General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

How do you properly Break in your new FIT??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
How do you properly Break in your new FIT??

I am getting my fit this weekend (hopefully ) and I just want to hear from you all any advise on how to properly break in my FIT.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:12 PM
the manuel says take easy the first 600 miles. during your first 600 -1000 miles try not to keep your rpm at one place for too long; vary your speed. the all i can say is take it easy until your first oil change, im still taking it easy with 2000 miles on the car. some people would say that 2000 miles is enough for break in, but i like to baby my fit

Old 10-13-2006, 12:12 PM
just remember that youre not only breaking in your engine but your drivetrain as well so dont launch or smash on your car

Last edited by quangalang; 10-13-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
if you do plan on doing some real driving, wait 2,000 miles.

Then take the car nice and easy for the first 15-30 mins of a drive. After your car has warmed up, it should be safe to have a little fun. Just don't forget to warm up... and I'm not talking about letting it idle in the parking lot. I'm still waiting untill I get my first oil change before I really start to test out my car.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:55 PM
I posted the other day about this too but got no responses (old thread)- are there any issues with breaking in in cold weather? My MT sport should be coming in sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I live in Minnesota where the temps can be well below 0 (F) then.

Any tips/worries I should have breaking it in when it's that cold outside??

Old 10-13-2006, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm I use this method. It's a good read and makes sense. Honestly my past vehicles that I've used this method on have run longer and with less engine troubles than vehicles I've done "according to the book". Do what you feel is right.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Don't worry about break in, it's a Honda.... seriously. Just change your oil every 3000

Old 10-13-2006, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Devil Doc
I am getting my fit this weekend (hopefully ) and I just want to hear from you all any advise on how to properly break in my FIT.
Read the manual about break in.

Ask your salesperson at delivery.

Don't go nuts, just drive sanely.

You are breaking in the engine, the transmission, the clutch if it is manual, the brakes and the tires. 500 miles easy is fine for most of it except the engine.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:00 AM
I'm all about driving 'regularly' myself. Had an old race car driver tell me his method...he'd just grab the throttle blads and whoomahhhh! He even did it w/ my old Mustang's freshly rebuilt engine!

'If it breaks you want it to break now, not in the race' he'd say. I think allowing the engine to heat up a bit is good advice, but I tend to not baby it as some would. After all, I have to believe these engines are started and 'broken in' at least once at the factory before intalled...anyone know about this?

Old 10-14-2006, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sonorliteman
I'm all about driving 'regularly' myself. Had an old race car driver tell me his method...he'd just grab the throttle blads and whoomahhhh! He even did it w/ my old Mustang's freshly rebuilt engine!

'If it breaks you want it to break now, not in the race' he'd say. I think allowing the engine to heat up a bit is good advice, but I tend to not baby it as some would. After all, I have to believe these engines are started and 'broken in' at least once at the factory before intalled...anyone know about this?
If easy is not your style then- try this method:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Follow instructions at your own risk.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:21 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
i beat it, but thats me...i have the 5spd and the thing chirps in 2nd at hard launches...pushing over 6500 miles now and she is a blast to drive...my point is my way worked for me

Old 10-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Honda is a motor company, they build excellent motors. What I mean by excellent motor is that they build motors that would withstand all sorts of abuse. Most of you love your Fit enough to be on this forum will most likely take better care of your car than the general public. In an event a Honda motor breaks down is probably not because you didn't follow the proper break in procedure. Be gentle with it the first few hunderd miles if you like but it's not necessary. And change your oil frequently like I said earlier. I'm still not buying all the new oil change schedule that's been putting out by most auto manufacture... call me old school.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I plan on doing a mixed break in. First 200 or so miles Im going to take it easy. Then a few hard revs after that 200miles. Take it easy again, then another full revving.

I dont plan on slamming gears or doing hard launches because that can glaze the flywheel.

Also remember to break in the brakes. DO NOT do hard stops the first fresh miles. You will warp/glaze the rotors. Do normal light stops until the smells go away.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Here's how NOT to break in the new Fit...

This one had less than 5K on it!

It's totaled...

Old 10-15-2006, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
This is how I broke mine in:

(From YOUR owners manual)

Help assure your vehicle's furture performance and reliability by paying extra attention to how you drive during the first 600 miles (1,000 km). During this period:

Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.

Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km).

Do not change the oil until the scheduled maintenance time.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Usually to break in a car I use a slim jim or a brick through the window.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:13 PM
im going to do the motoman thing. let the car warm up and do a couple of third gear pulls and then change the oil. All this must be done within the first 20 miles.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Got a chance to visit the unloading yard outside Pitts., PA the other week. Vehicles come off the train there and are put on trucks bound for dealers. These are the knuckle-heads that are "breaking in" your Fits. (At least for the northeast) They have no qualms about zipping around with unsold cars. They get $7 per hour, so they don't care. That's part of the reason that even a Fit that has never seen a test drive will still have 5-10 miles or so on it. Driven from the plant to the gas stand, to the ship to the train to the truck to the dealer.
Russ Swinnerton
PAHD

Old 10-19-2006, 11:41 PM
I dont get the whole "Do not change the oil until the scheduled maintenance time." thing. why is that? does Honda use a special oil? what would make the oil special, what could they put in the oil to make at better for breaking in the engine?
I personly feel you should change the oil very soon, like at 500miles because of the added junk in the oil from a new motor. such as assembly lube, and debre that got in the engine when making it, and the general highspots that wear off of the honed cylinders, ect.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Its a special oil, its been gone over many times...

Quick Reply: How do you properly Break in your new FIT??