General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Octane 87 89 91 93 95 ???????

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:32 PM
I use 76, 87 octane, car runs like a champ

Old 07-31-2007, 09:05 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I feed my Fit with 87 octane unleaded gasoline at any brand name gas station whichever is the cheapest.
It runs and feels the same so far since the first day from the dealership.

Last edited by ChrisN; 05-10-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Old 07-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Thanks for the link. I've read one of those before. However, do they or you have any concrete evident or any solid proof that by not using Top Tier Gasoline can lead to engine build-up since most if not all engines will get build-up, eventually.

I think the gas company is doing a great job in manipulating consumers to pay for higher gas price.

I'm not paranoid about engine build-up, and that is all my intention to say.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
I prefer using Sunoco, lately I've been putting in 93 octane without a problem. The engine actually works a lot less harder and I get more of a jump off the start.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:37 PM
Ive been using Shell 93 exclusively for 8k+.... tried 87 shell once and chevron 93 once not much difference... but i figure i wont hurt anything but my wallet and its less than $2 per fill difference anyway

Old 07-31-2007, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
your car is suppose to run on 87 octain. Runnin with 91 or higher overtime will mess with your )2 sensors or other things causing problems, or having to replace them. And there is no benefit to runnning a higher octain if your car is not tuned to run on a higher octain. Those cars that do need 91+ have advanced timing, higher compression, combustion etc.

Last edited by dank24; 07-31-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:24 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
91 chevron ONLY is what i use

Old 08-01-2007, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
The fit is made to run on a minimum octane rating of 87, with that said putting in anything greater than that would only be beneficial. I've driven in europe plenty of times, the minimum octane rating there in many places is 95 with very small engines(1.0 - 1.8ltr) and they run great. I doubt putting in 93 would be a problem, but for those of you who are speculative maybe 91 or 89 would be ok.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:17 PM
that the octane is also rated differently in different countries. but regardless its not the engineers decision to advertise that the fit requires 87.... keep in mind this is marketed as an economy car here, even if it does require 93, would honda dare to say it does? i think its more about marketing, also the manual statess "87 or above"

Last edited by nsx280ps; 08-01-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:11 PM
iHardpark
95?? no gas station in miami sales that but i do pump 93 ALL DAY

Old 10-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I hate telling people what they should do.... but you should be using 87 as Honda reccomends, anything else is basically throwing your money away. I think people are missing the point of higher octane gas, higher octane does not mean it is better.... seriously! I am not BS'ing you!!

It is intended for higher compression engines as an additive to retard the detonation time.... not only that it has LESS energy in it meaning you will probably get worse mileage using it. Sorry guys, but this is like somebody trying to buy cuban cigars for your buddy when all he asked for was a pack of smokes (lol, Look at me bust out the metaphors!) Your engines are designed to take full advantage of regular fuel to save you money by getting better mileage.

An exception to the rule is at higher altitudes of more than 1000 feet above sea level; you should be using slightly higher octane levels to compensate. I generally slip a bit of premium gas to mix into the tank before I hit the higher altitude mountain roads. This is also a reccomended practice.

Also if you have any kind of FI system... your compression goes up and so should your gas octane leves. Kancerr nailed that one.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 10-01-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Banned
Not true you can switch back and forth between octanes anytime you want and not get carbon build up, there will be no problems at all associated with switching octanes.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
An exception to the rule is at higher altitudes of more than 1000 feet above sea level; you should be using slightly higher octane levels to compensate. I generally slip a bit of premium gas to mix into the tank before I hit the higher altitude mountain roads. This is also a reccomended practice.
This is incorrect. Octane requirements are lower at high altitude. In fact, premium grade gas in places like Denver will have an octane rating 2-3 points lower than places at lower elevation. Higher elevation means lower air pressure multiplied by the compression ratio equals lower cylinder pressures and thus reduced octane requirements. Higher elevation also also corresponds to lower temperature which further reduces likehood of predetonation.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
This is incorrect. Octane requirements are lower at high altitude. In fact, premium grade gas in places like Denver will have an octane rating 2-3 points lower than places at lower elevation. Higher elevation means lower air pressure multiplied by the compression ratio equals lower cylinder pressures and thus reduced octane requirements. Higher elevation also also corresponds to lower temperature which further reduces likehood of predetonation.
Nice catch Txmatt, I don't know how I got backwards!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by MirrorWorks
In agreement with what everyone else is saying, I have to say that this is probably wrong. A car's fuel mapping has to be able to take into account higher octane, but the fit's fuel mapping is only designed for 87. Any more, and you truly are wasting money.
A good example of this in real life would be from my previous car, stage 2 05 WRX. It takes 91 octane, and if you put in any more, nothing really changes. Later on, I got a chip with which you can re-flash the ECU to change the fuel maps. One time I got about a 3/4 tank of 100 octane gas, and i changed the fuel map to 93 octane to take advantage of the boost, and yes it did change things quite drastically, but without that fuel map change, it didn't really do jack.
As for the comment on keeping the engine cleaner, I disagree with that as well. I have an engineer friend who works at Chevron that has taught me what I know about this subject. Some gasoline's come with detergent additives, such as Chevron's "Techron". Techron is available in all of their octane ratings, thus all of the octane ratings "clean" just as well as any other. The reason gasses like Arco are so cheap is because they don't use additives or they don't use as much, I forgot.
Some will argue that Techron is marketing BS, but I believe my friend that works at Chevron..she's a chemical engineer, so I trust her word.

Hope this sheds some light on the issue.
Tre
yes you only need use the octane stated by the manufacture, more isn't going to harm anything, but it is going to do nothing, i can simulate it to a spark plug, any given spark plug say is going to fire when a charge of around 12KV or so is "pushed" on it, and so the coils are designed to be able to out put slightly more than that to compensate for things that might raise the voltage requirement, like build up etc, but only a few Kv
..some people buy aftermarket coils that are advertised as 50-100Kv, "more spark, more power, blah blah" ...etc, however, it is only going to output the 12kv required to fire that spark plug, it is the same with the octane rating of fuel
(i understand there are certain exceptions, where more ignition power is required for some high performance, etc applications)

however, what chevron does is add 1 drop of cleaner called "tecron" to their high octane gas, tempting you to pay for it, when in fact any improvement you would feel would be purely placebo effect, or perhaps that you have unclogged the injectors, but i would doubt it,
on that note, i am an ase master tech, and i would recommend a product from the company BG called 44k, which is a fuel additive that cleans injectors, intake valved and combustion chambers, really good stuff, you can get it from the dealer.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
I used 87 octane for the first 6 months, and only got about 24mpg, so I decided to try 89. The second tank got me almost 27, but the third was about 23 (same drive)! I put in 93 last week, but smashed my car before I got an mpg reading, though it was looking like it was going to be a very good tank!

Old 04-09-2008, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LizardKing
I used 87 octane for the first 6 months, and only got about 24mpg, so I decided to try 89. The second tank got me almost 27, but the third was about 23 (same drive)! I put in 93 last week, but smashed my car before I got an mpg reading, though it was looking like it was going to be a very good tank!
Sorry to hear about your smash up.

Get a 2009 Fit Sport

Your good or not mpg would need to be repeatable so that any changes would be due to the gas octane you used, not due to how your drove on that specific tank of gas or the conditions of traffic during that time.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:05 PM
I recommend the higher octane... I use 91 and I feel and see the big different against 87... It gives you more milages and power. Why don't you guys try it with your self.

As you can see in yours owner's manual... on page "132"

Its really clear that using lower octane can lead to engine damage... So it means the higher the better. Just my 2 cents. Remember Honda made these owner's manual so I listen to the experts.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:39 PM
87 is all it needs.
The ECM is not mapped to take advantage of anything higher.
87 has more BTU and a faster burn. You are wasting money by using premium fuel.

Quick Reply: Octane 87 89 91 93 95 ???????