General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Importing parts from the US to the UK

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 01:42 PM
Question Importing parts from the US to the UK

Hey everyone,

Could everyone give me some tips on the best way to get parts shipped to the UK the cheapest way?

Really interested in some of the parts for the US Fit, for my UK Jazz - But finding these parts over here is practically impossible!

Most things I've looked at purchasing actually cost more to ship than to buy, by a large amount...

Thanks all (sorry if this is in the wrong section)

Old 02-25-2016, 02:43 PM
Hey jackanyon,

Have you tried looking through aliexpress.com? The site I believe is based in Asia/Europe and has a lot of goodies for your UK Jazz. As for importing from USA, can't really comment there; some parts might not actually fit your UK Jazz due to having different chassis style.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:12 PM
I recommend aliexpress as well, although you have to 'pick and choose' as some items are better quality than others.

Expect to pay VAT on landing (if it costs more than ~£15) and import tax if its over £150.

Sometimes things slide under the radar, so you avoid the tax. Its very hit and miss but if you are expecting it then it will come as no surprise (and its an added bonus if they dont catch your parcel)

Old 02-26-2016, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by cajlog
Hey jackanyon,

Have you tried looking through aliexpress.com?
Thanks for that, I'll have a look through that site!

Originally Posted by Mr Onion

Expect to pay VAT on landing (if it costs more than ~£15) and import tax if its over £150.
How much is import tax usually?

Sometimes things slide under the radar, so you avoid the tax. Its very hit and miss but if you are expecting it then it will come as no surprise (and its an added bonus if they dont catch your parcel)
Ahh thank you, I've never had anything imported before so I'm not overly sure how to go about it all!

I was informed that most parts for the US 1.5 VTEC will fit my UK 1.4 iDSI, would you be able to give me some more info on this?

Thank you!

Old 02-26-2016, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by jackanyon
How much is import tax usually?
2% IIRC Both VAT and Import tax are payable on the full amount (not just the amount above those levels) and the carrier charges you £8 to collect it on behalf of HMRC

Just as an example several years ago I imported a 22 Classical LP box set from the US at a value of $750 + shipping. The bill for HMRC came to just over the ton (£120ish I think) It was within a fiver of my calculation, so no surprises. This site allows you a few free calculations before you have to subscribe.

Originally Posted by jackanyon
Ahh thank you, I've never had anything imported before so I'm not overly sure how to go about it all!

I was informed that most parts for the US 1.5 VTEC will fit my UK 1.4 iDSI, would you be able to give me some more info on this?

Thank you!
The engine is different, so I assume all engine related parts are different. Whether they will fit (or can be made to fit) I have no idea. The bodywork from the A pillar forward is also different (the US fit has a longer nose) and of course the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

But with most other things you should be OK. if in doubt ask the seller if they know.

Last edited by Mr Onion; 02-26-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:43 AM
This site allows you a few free calculations before you have to subscribe.
I haven't seen this site before now, how useful! Thanks a lot for that!

The engine is different, so I assume all engine related parts are different. Whether they will fit (or can be made to fit) I have no idea. The bodywork from the A pillar forward is also different (the US fit has a longer nose) and of course the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

But with most other things you should be OK. if in doubt ask the seller if they know.
Ahh I see, on another thread of mine I was told:

Originally Posted by kylerwho
Intake manifold, downpipe, header, air intake will all work.
Perhaps I'll have to do some more research with regards to that!

Thanks again for your help!