Where can I secure tie-straps under front & rear bumpers? - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Go Back  Unofficial Honda FIT Forums > The Honda Fit and Jazz Forums > General Fit Talk
Reload this Page >

Where can I secure tie-straps under front & rear bumpers?

General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Where can I secure tie-straps under front & rear bumpers?

Old 06-18-2016, 11:56 PM
Question Where can I secure tie-straps under front & rear bumpers?

I got a new kayak today, with the kind of rooftop carrier system that requires straps being secured to the outside corners of the front & rear bumper. (Not like a roof rack. This is two foam blocks and some straps, intended just for kayaks.) I looked and felt under the front bumper of my 2015 Fit LX and it all looks like plastic. I found convenient 1 inch diameter holes under the rear bumper, and holes just barely in front of the front tires. I'm afraid they won't be very secure, or if I have to hit the brakes or the kayak tries to tip sideways, the hook at the end of the strap will just rip through the plastic. Anybody else dealt with strapping things down like this? Is there something in particular I should look for?

Similar to this picture below.
Sears.com

Old 06-19-2016, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by redhausman View Post
I got a new kayak today, with the kind of rooftop carrier system that requires straps being secured to the outside corners of the front & rear bumper. (Not like a roof rack. This is two foam blocks and some straps, intended just for kayaks.) I looked and felt under the front bumper of my 2015 Fit LX and it all looks like plastic. I found convenient 1 inch diameter holes under the rear bumper, and holes just barely in front of the front tires. I'm afraid they won't be very secure, or if I have to hit the brakes or the kayak tries to tip sideways, the hook at the end of the strap will just rip through the plastic. Anybody else dealt with strapping things down like this? Is there something in particular I should look for?

Similar to this picture below.
Sears.com
Secure some strap type loops to hinge of front hood and rear hatch hinge. Leave them there and tuck under when not used. When you want to secure something just flip them all out and lash to them. I use an old tie down strap and bolt them on with existing hinge bolts.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:32 AM
Old 09-03-2016, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by jbbuilt View Post
Secure some strap type loops to hinge of front hood and rear hatch hinge. Leave them there and tuck under when not used. When you want to secure something just flip them all out and lash to them. I use an old tie down strap and bolt them on with existing hinge bolts.
Thanks, that's been working well. I haven't been leaving straps tucked under, but the front hood hinge has holes that are convenient to hook straps on.