3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

Roof Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 12:39 PM
Thule racks not available yet

FYI, it looks like it will be atleast a month until Thule has mounts for the new Fit. I already have Thule equipment otherwise I would probably make the switch to Yakima.

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Honda Fit rack availability

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Customer By Web Form (Ryan Oden) - 06/26/2014 09:58 AM
Hello, I recently purchased a 2015 Honda fit and am looking to install a rack but noticed their is nothing listed yet (or at least no feet available yet to attach to the vehicle) on your site. Looks like Yakima will have them available in the next 2 weeks. Hope you guys will too since I have been using Thule racks for over a decade.

Response Via Email(Chris Yeager) - 06/26/2014 11:38 AM
Thank you for contacting Thule!

We are currently working on a fit for this vehicle. Please check the Fit Guide again in 4-6 weeks for update. Thank you for your patience, we are working hard to design the safest, most secure installation for this vehicle.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:51 AM
This is my first car without roof rails that I am thinking about installing a rack onto.

Is this installation permanent? I would like it to be but I don't really want to damage the roof? (which leads to the next question...)

Will this damage the roof of the car? I would prefer to leave my bike rack on all the time.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by spaceballs
This is my first car without roof rails that I am thinking about installing a rack onto.

Is this installation permanent? I would like it to be but I don't really want to damage the roof? (which leads to the next question...)

Will this damage the roof of the car? I would prefer to leave my bike rack on all the time.
Well, I havent had mine but a couple months and have used it on my previous car, i have had it on the Fit and it should not damage the roof. It is not permanant. There is a thick rubber foot to protect the roof and the clips are made for a specific application and come with the measurements on where to install the racks and how far apart to place the towers on both front and rear rack. I am referring to the Yakima racks. Yakima makes a cool bike rack and I bought one that is called a front loader. Holds the bike very sturdy and locks it in place by the wheels and comes with a lock.

Best advice I would five when looking at racks is DON'T buy cheap! The yakima racks with bike rack will set you back about $500. I bought mine from ORSracksdirect.com. They had then on sale and I saved about $120 on everything so look at the different vendors.

Last edited by tmfit; 06-28-2014 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Corrected web address
Old 07-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Finally got a chance to haul the kayak to the lake, its got a definite drone sound to it bit not bad. I used the eyehook to tie the front to Nd the hook underneath the back. Pretty easy to load and unload. This is a 10 foot kayak.

Name:  0D8ABC67-7BA7-4D2D-913B-21044A40BD1A_zpsyoszizob.jpg
Views: 13786
Size:  173.5 KB

Name:  3A8A602F-5B8F-44AD-A410-65A3528EB6BA_zpstzomg7jy.jpg
Views: 11949
Size:  160.5 KB

Name:  0D82E301-FD33-44A1-A8B2-C453A4410F4D_zpsdk4kfqpl.jpg
Views: 11004
Size:  102.5 KB

Old 07-06-2014, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Are those new feet or did you use ones for a GE or a GD?

Old 07-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ex-MA Hole
Are those new feet or did you use ones for a GE or a GD?
I used the 2013 clips. Had to change the spread dimensions a little.

Not suggesting anyone else do it but it works for me.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:02 AM
Since you can't create a new post for some reason I thought I would just post these here.

Does it Fit? Why yes it does!
This is my Sun Dolphin 8' Kayak, with the front seat down it fits perfect with room to spare, Probably could put a 9'er in there!

Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
Very cool.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:54 AM
How to tie down a kayak

Can someone explain to me exactly how I can tie down my kayak? There is one hook hidden in the front bumper behind a cover on the left side as you are facing the car, and one hook clearly visible at the rear. My old vehicle had two secure hook holders at the front and back. I would feel more comfortable if I was able to secure it at four points, as well as everyone else on the road!

Thanks....

Old 08-16-2014, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tmfit
Since you can't create a new post for some reason I thought I would just post these here.

Does it Fit? Why yes it does!
This is my Sun Dolphin 8' Kayak, with the front seat down it fits perfect with room to spare, Probably could put a 9'er in there!

This solution seems safer to me.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Roof Rack Update?

Thanks for all the info and photos. Now that you have used for awhile is it still working well for you?

To others: I have a Thule system that I used on my prior car (a Subaru Impreza). I'd love to hear stories of people who have tried Thule on a 2015 Fit. I hate the expense of starting over if I don't have to.

I have a 10 1/2 foot solo canoe I want to carry -- a bit to big to stuff inside. Thankful that my bike fits inside the cargo area without taking the wheel off.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:30 PM
I am still using it. You have to be careful on how tight you put the towers on the rear, I have a couple small waves on the passenger side (if you sight down the rail you can see it). Front fits perfect and the drivers rear seems fine, I am curious if there is more support on the drivers side than the passenger side.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Yakima is out

Per Yakima, they are unable to fit the 15 as the roof material where the towers sit is too thin.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by DiscountDblChk
Per Yakima, they are unable to fit the 15 as the roof material where the towers sit is too thin.
That makes sense. The fronts fit no problem but the rear is certainly flimsy.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:24 PM
tmfit -- tell me about the front loop you tied onto. I see the flap in the front of my car that opens. Did you get a Honda part or .... (perhaps if I read more of the owners manual I would know the answer)

Old 08-19-2014, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by titlenine
tmfit -- tell me about the front loop you tied onto. I see the flap in the front of my car that opens. Did you get a Honda part or .... (perhaps if I read more of the owners manual I would know the answer)
ahhh, it is actually already in your possession! Look under the mat in the back of the car, the Eyebolt is in the tray that holds the jack. Open the flap and screw it in and you are ready to go!

PS: I don't think it tells you in the owners manual, I just happened upon it when taking the jack out to check out.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:38 PM
I see it! Previously had lifted the back cover far enough to see the storage tray but not far enough to see the jack and the eye bolt

Old 09-25-2014, 10:54 AM
I too have to have a rack on my car and I am a little surprised that the Fit does not have the option of a fixed point in the gutter system like some other cars or the option for a rack as one of the target markets is those who need room to carry their gear.

I have an appt tomorrow for a custom install of the track system, yes this is permanent but I like this option the best. I'll post pics when it's done. Yea, I'm a little nervous they're drilling into the roof but I've seen the install (online) of older model Fits and it looks clean.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
Roof Rack?

Have any of you put a roof rack on your Fit? I'm just thinking ahead to when I might have something large, but not too heavy. I used to pull a small flatbed trailer, but I don't want to do that with the Fit.

Today I got some 1" X 4" X 8' boards, and I thought I'd have to drive with them sticking out the window. I was surprised that they fit inside the car with room to spare. Now I'm going back to get a 10' board. I'll cut off 12", and it will fit inside.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:11 PM
I have an appt tomorrow for a custom install of a roof track system, but this is permanent so I don't know if this is what you're looking for. It is a clean looking system and I've seen it on other cars, so I'm optimistic. The track allows the podium feet to slide along anywhere within the track though I've never moved my other bars once set...

Quick Reply: Roof Rack?