General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Did you ever see the auto parts commercial.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
Did you ever see the auto parts commercial.....

....the Rockauto.com commercial that has the animated characters (parts customer and the clueless kid behind the counter who "attempts" to research the part for the buyer?) Well, I feel like it happened to me from rock auto itself. I politely wrote them asking why their remanufactured starters were much more expensive than the two new ones they have for the Fit. I get a lengthy but very vague answer back explaining how to use the RA site and view their pictures. I then politely write back and state that after my further research I see that TYC is a Chinese company and ask whether the other company (Power Select/WPS) also is a Chinese company? RA came back and succinctly stated that I will have to research them in order to understand their manufacturing process. Huh? I just want to know if it is a Chinese company, not how many underage children they employ working 14 hours a day!
I now feel like that Liberty Mutual auto insurance company: "Sorry, but you chose the wrong part"...................... It is disappointing that I can't just get a straight answer in order to avoid putting Chinese knockoff parts into my car. I guess I'll go to Pep Boys and get their ProStart starter for $20 more and have them install it, all coming with a lifetime warranty instead of the one year warranty from RA.

Last edited by BurntZ; 01-14-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
I guess Rock Auto is to be considered a source for auto parts, but not necessarily THE source. Your decision to work with Pep Boys sounds like a good choice.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:34 PM
I have been using RA for a few years on my old Nissan.
I got a TYC starter, and it's been working great.
Looks to me very high quality made.
Never had to use their warranty...because nothing has broke yet.

I don't think you can assume low price mean "child labor".
China has built an impressive infrastructure and manufacturing economy.
They can make millions of parts...so they can sell 'em at low price...due to high efficiency and economy of scale.

Last edited by teamcheap; 01-14-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:56 AM
5 Year Member
You would be surprised how many well know US brands make some or all of their parts in China. Not that I like it, but these days you do not always have a choice.

Most of the time Rock Auto offers the best selection and best prices. Sometimes sourcing locally is a better choice. That decision is something you will have to do for yourself which is sounds like you did in this case.