General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Help, OH SNAP !

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 10:34 AM
Help, OH SNAP !

Well this isn't the first time this ever happened But first time with the fit.
I went to change my spark plugs and the first screw that holds the spark tower was tight all the way out, the second one instantly snapped. I cant get a cordless drill in there to use an easy out, any suggestions?
( I'm running to the hardware store to see if I can find a smaller cordless drill to get in there )

I don't want to have to pull the head !

Has anyone had this happen and how did you get it out? The screw is flush with the surface.

the 3rd and 4th are super tight too, I'm afraid to break those as well, wonder if I should have the dealer do it and leave the headache with them after I fix this one?

Attached Thumbnails Help, OH SNAP !-img_4298.jpg   Help, OH SNAP !-img_4296.jpg  
Old 06-23-2017, 11:35 AM
Oh, Snap! Is right. You can try bolt extractors on the end of a socket. I've never tried it on a bolt this big though.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Action Jackson
Oh, Snap! Is right. You can try bolt extractors on the end of a socket. I've never tried it on a bolt this big though.
Ive used the extractors on bolts from 1/4" up, but this bolt is like a 6mm? Its smaller and used 1/8" extractor, so far I got it drilled ( bought an $80 angle drill) but cant get the screw to budge. There was no anti seize used on the screws so they are stuck. I'm going to get this one fixed hopefully then let the dealer deal with changing the plugs, I can say this, the last owner was an idiot.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:41 PM
So I walked to one auto store, rode my step sons bike to the other ( damn I'm old ) and no one has a freakin tap handle ! I have one in the city at my parents house so trying to get a ride down there to get it and a few other " might need" items... this really sucks, all day because of 1 damn bolt.
I'm afraid to attempt the others, hope to get this one fixed and Ill just hand it over to the dealer to change out my spark plugs, if they snap a bolt, then its their problem as I see #3 and #4 aren't as assessable. I'm so pissed right now with this.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:09 PM
Well, I center punched the broken bolt, and drilled a pilot hole, somehow the bigger extractor drill bit walked to the side as it bored through, so I had a cresent shaped bolt to extract that didn't want to budge for the life of me. So I drilled it out as much as I could but the threads were seized. I ended up drilling it out completely ( bigger hole, and used a longer bolt with nut to secure the spark tower. Runs fine, but I didn't change out the spark plugs as it would have only been 2 of them, going to have a shop or dealer replace them.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
Here is how I attack them,,, Always drill frozen bolts with a reverse twist drill, 9 times out of ten the bit will walk the broken piece out, You need to start the hole with a carbide bit. I typically use a bit that is about the depth of the threads smaller in diameter, if you drill though use a collet style extractor in a slow right angle drill to extract he bolt. I use a small torch to heat up the remnants of the bolt then shoot some cold shot inside the hole this shrinks the bolt and start in with the collete extractor.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Here is how I attack them,,, Always drill frozen bolts with a reverse twist drill, 9 times out of ten the bit will walk the broken piece out, You need to start the hole with a carbide bit. I typically use a bit that is about the depth of the threads smaller in diameter, if you drill though use a collet style extractor in a slow right angle drill to extract he bolt. I use a small torch to heat up the remnants of the bolt then shoot some cold shot inside the hole this shrinks the bolt and start in with the collete extractor.
6 year machinist here, none of that worked.It was seized, I'm going to let the dealer change it, I'm done with this, 8 hours of cussing!

Old 07-03-2017, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
I've had limited success with bolts extractors too. When the threads are seized, the extractor usually breaks and leaves a bigger mess.

What almost always works is welding a nut on top of the bolt remains with a mid welder. The heat from the welding procedure breaks the threads loose most of the time.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Sono
I'm going to let the dealer change it, I'm done with this, 8 hours of cussing!
When I was working I quickly realised that it was easier to go in and do an extra shift (I was a maintenance engineer), then use the pay I received to pay a garage to repair my car. At work, if I broke something, I went to the stores for a new part. I didn't worry about getting to the parts store on the Monday morning, without transport, in the hope they had the part I needed!