General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Which paint colors are easiest/hardest to match?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 01:40 PM
Which paint colors are easiest/hardest to match?

For those that have had bodywork done, have you had any bad or good experiences with certain colors not matching up easily?

Old 07-18-2017, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mtoboggan
For those that have had bodywork done, have you had any bad or good experiences with certain colors not matching up easily?

i don't get your real question? Are you trying to use this to decide what color car to buy or is this a question about why you see cars that the paint doesn't match well?

anyway I sold automotive paint for 8 years. I have the hardest time tinting silver and blues. Everyone has a harder time with seeing variations in blue due to the wave length.

Many times there's variations due to assembly plants. Most of the paint manufacturers will make a alternative formula for that variation. Bad and/or lazy tech is why you see poor color match repairs. Could be they simply do want to waste the paint that they just made that doesn't match?

Unfortunately in the auto body and paint business you get what you pay for. Yes there's cheaper materials out there but they usually lack UV protectors that the name brand materials have. Again you get what you pay for. Many shops use these to make more profit, have a cheaper estimate or save somones deductible to try to get the work. They're betting that the car will be traded before it fades or peels?

In regard to why you see variations between bumpers, mirrors and other parts on new cars. The OEM usually paint the body, doors, hood, trunk and sometimes the gas door. The color is constantly checked to the standard and as long as it's in tolerance it's OK. The other parts are painted at the suppliers. Again they're checked against the standard. Where you get a huge variation is if say the OEM is within spec but for sake of discussion to the red side of the spectrum and the bumper supplier is within spec but to the green side. Now that the parts are married to the car they look awefull, but are technically within spec.

Hopefully this answered your question? If not you need to be more specific about what you're asking for

Old 07-19-2017, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the reply, Rob! This was very helpful. My question was concerning repairs by body shops. Sorry for the confusion! From your experience, have you had any difficulties with tinting solid red or dark gray metallic? I've narrowed my choices down to Milano Red and Modern Steel Metallic and I think the ease of matching might be the tie-breaker...

Old 07-19-2017, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
In my opinion it shouldn't be an issue.
Because in my opinion any competent body shop SHOULD be able to exactly match any paint.
If they can't get the paint right, I wouldn't want them doing any body work.

You can find threads and stories where people get substandard work done, and the match has been poor, but IMO that's all on the workmanship of the people that did the work.

Easiest/Hardest shouldn't even be an issue. Get a color you like. If you ever need paint work done, find a reputable, competent operation and have them do the work.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply, Rob! This was very helpful. My question was concerning repairs by body shops. Sorry for the confusion! From your experience, have you had any difficulties with tinting solid red or dark gray metallic? I've narrowed my choices down to Milano Red and Modern Steel Metallic and I think the ease of matching might be the tie-breaker...

just buy whatever ever color you prefer. If you have an accident go to a quality shop. Call your local Autobody Jobber which sells automotive paint and supply and ask them for a recommendation. Most of the time they'll steer you to one of their better customers. I live by Chicago. Large city. There's maybe a dozen shops that I'd take my car to. The rest I wouldn't let fix a toy wagon, but I'm extremely picky and know the difference having worked in the industry

Old 07-19-2017, 07:38 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
lighter color metallics are hard to match not only because some are multi-stage paint, the flakes in the metallic needs to align the same way or it will be a shade too dark or too light. this is why bodyshops usually paint the entire side of the car to blend.

white pearls, silvers especially are the worst.

solid non-metallic colors are easier to match.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
lighter color metallics are hard to match not only because some are multi-stage paint, the flakes in the metallic needs to align the same way or it will be a shade too dark or too light. this is why bodyshops usually paint the entire side of the car to blend.

white pearls, silvers especially are the worst.

solid non-metallic colors are easier to match.
This corresponds to my experience doing auto and guitar touch-up work.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
nice, you paint guitars too, huh? i remember guitar center having a special room for all the high end guitars and the paint jobs on those were so artistic and very high quality.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:59 PM
Had to replace the entire roof d/t a garage door accident (don't ask...). My LBS had no probs exactly matching the metallic gun metal paint of my 2013 base Fit.