General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What do you wish you knew about your Fit before you bought it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AnalogDog
I wonder if that would've done me better. It seems Hyundai and Kia are now what Honda and Toyota were in the 80's and early 90's.
true, Kia's do feel like cars from the 90's

Old 08-01-2017, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos
What did you not know about your Fit until you bought it and drove it a while. What are some things you noticed? Any regrets? Knowing what you know now, would you repurchase?
The car is terrible in the crosswinds and it's super noisy at 70+ mph. No regrets, but I would not buy another Honda Fit.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Howdy
The car is terrible in the crosswinds and it's super noisy at 70+ mph. No regrets, but I would not buy another Honda Fit.
OMG, LOL. It's like driving a airplane tail fin on the highway at 70MPH around trucks. Add a crosswind and you're lucky to keep it in the lane.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Rob H
OMG, LOL. It's like driving a airplane tail fin on the highway at 70MPH around trucks. Add a crosswind and you're lucky to keep it in the lane.
Jesus how is this even safe to drive then?

Old 08-01-2017, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos
Jesus how is this even safe to drive then?

Its a tall thin car. I'm now used to it, so I just go with the flow. I can guarantee that if my wife experienced the same thing while driving the car, she'd never drive it again

Old 08-02-2017, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
Maybe because I come from riding motorcycles but I really don't think it's affected by crosswinds that much compared to modern day cars. I remember my old 1989 corolla with 14" rims, that thing really swayed around on the highway. The GK5 is definitely more planted than that.

I have to agree with the valve adjustments though. That same '89 Corolla didn't need valve adjustments, why does a modern day car?

As far as phone issues, just anecdotal but I feel there are more iPhone related issues with the Fit than Android. The threads I see where it locks up the headunit, it's iPhones. I had my issues with the text messages early on, but that's been fixed with a newer version of the app.

I had read of the low QC before buying the Fit, and I thought it'll be OK. Nope, they were true. Paint is thin. Front bumper sagged a few months into ownership. I've had more recalls/warranty work done on this car than any other owned.

EX steering wheel is very slippery. I rectified that by adding a Wheelskin wrap. Low center armrest rectified by adding a center console storage unit that adds about 2".

I've got 45k+ and so far mechanically the car has been working like a champ with just basic maintenance items. I have had the CVT and door handle recall done, and had the passenger rear wheel liner and front driver window glass replaced under warranty. I've since replaced the stock rims with 205/45/16 and the car handles better.

That being said, not sure I'd buy another Honda product at this point. My past Toyotas have been much more trouble free. Maybe I'll change my tune in another 100k...

Old 08-02-2017, 01:07 PM
2008 Sport, blue, purchased new, used almost exclusively as my commuter car about 200 days a year (rest of time I commute via motorcycle.) Suburban routes; very rarely sees the highway. Only has about 62K miles on it.

1) Weak A/C
2) Thin paint
3) How much the lack of HP and torque would eventually bother me
4) Non-supportive driver's seat
5) How crappy the OE tires were
6) How much the lack of driver's arm rest and non-telescoping steering column would bother me

Of course, except for #2 and #5, most of that should've been evident during the test drive, except maybe #4 which is hard to know on a short drive. All in all, I've liked this car very much, even loved at times, like when I've had to shove an amazing amount of stuff into it (Xmas trees, bikes, a loveseat.) It's been very inexpensive to maintain. The only repair item was a defective tranny controller; about $350 I think. And fun to throw around on very twisty back roads near my office. Would I buy it again? No. For the same money, I'd look for a something like a lightly used Corolla, Civic or Mazda3 as a commuter.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:15 PM
08 MT.
How unstable it feels at highway speed with wind. Much much worse than the Mazda 3 it replaced.
How lousy the city mileage is.
How lousy the drivers seat is.
How awesome the highway mileage is.
How easy it is to work on. Just did my first valve adjustment ever and I'm hooked!
How awesome the fitfreak and hondafitforums forums are.
How much I'd love it to pieces.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Wish I would have known how delicate the paint is. I would have put a clear bra on it on day one.

I was quoted $1300 to repaint the front bumper just because of how chipped/marred it is. They recommended starting with a new bumper cover instead. Checked pricing...the cover and lower sport valance are stupid money.

Going to live with it looking like crap.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:22 AM
I wish I knew that I would love it so much ! Otherwise I would've switched sooner ! (no disrespect to my 2003 Mazda Protégé! )

Old 11-27-2017, 04:03 PM
Radio and mirrors only regret so far

I've had my 2017 Fit for 10 days. It is fun to drive and has more energy than the lame Scion I traded in.
But I do wish it had retractable mirrors (VERY tiny garage....) and the radio is so anemic. Get so much static on local stations.
Have had the windows tinted, clay bar/Rejex application this week, new all-weather mats, and all done.

Attached Thumbnails What do you wish you knew about your Fit before you bought it?-2017-honda-fit-w-tinted-windows.jpg  
Old 11-29-2017, 01:15 PM
So I've only had my Fit now for 9 days and I'm loving it! Feels like I've owned it for much longer than 9 days. So far none of the "issues" people have had in this thread and other websites I've looked at prior to purchasing have bothered me. I'm in Florida and I think the A/C is great. Radio is not anemic to me. I've done long road trips in this car already and I have zero issues with the seats being uncomfortable. I've never had a car that had no road noise so I can't really comment on road noise, but it's no more than the Ford Taurus I was driving previously to this. It does not bother me. A completely quiet interior would freak me out honestly. This car does not feel under powered or sluggish to me at all. It's very peppy compared to my Taurus. Before buying I was worried about how it would fare climbing this steep bridge I have to cross going to work, but it actually out-performed my Taurus which has more horsepower somehow. I can go 45 up this bridge and stay at 45 the whole time...in my Taurus it would slowly climb up getting slower and slower. I've also not noticed an issue with crosswinds. The short arm rest doesn't really bother me because I don't use arm rests. What I don't like about the arm rest though is how far back it is. Because I'm short I have my seats moved up close to the steering wheel, then the arm rest is way back and it's awkward to reach to get things from it. Not a huge deal though. I did notice the A-Pillar blind spots but it's nothing moving your head around can't fix.

Too early to talk about engine/mechanical issues but so far I absolutely love this car!

Old 11-29-2017, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
good to hear pumpkintacos. bet all the hassle was all worth it now?

Old 11-29-2017, 09:39 PM
So far absolutely!

Old 11-29-2017, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
sounds good. your hubby enjoying the car too?

Old 11-30-2017, 06:36 AM
He loves it! Which is surprising if you knew him. He refuses to get with the times and still uses a flip phone. This car might be low tier to most people but to us it's the most technology advanced car we've ever owned. Prior to this I was using a cassette player adapter to play songs off my phone lol.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
sound good! yah i remember those cassette adapters!! that is a huge step in tech.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i was never an arm rest kinda guy especially on an MT cars too.. but since getting into my Golfs things changed.. i use the arm rests on my GTI and R (MT) all the time. i think it has to do with the height and position as it slides forwards to a perfect landing spot for my arm.
I loved my arm rest. Was disappointed to see it disappear in later models (not sure when that was)

Old 04-17-2018, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
I knew about most of the problems and issues before I bought my 2017 EX. The thin paint worries me. Carbon build up is the biggest issue. I'll probably run higher octane and some injector cleaner starting with the next oil change. I've only racked up 3500 miles on the car so far.
I had a curious dream last night. I broke the turn signal wand in half, and at the same moment the driver's airbag cover came off the steering wheel. Worse yet, the dealer wouldn't honor the warranty and wanted to charge me $$$.
I hope this isn't a bad portent.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
I wish I'd known that the dealer would be absolutely helpless to fix the issues of the interior trim panels that didn't fit properly and the bumper that sagged. Honda's response was that "it's the dealers responsibility to fix these issues, not ours." No idea what to do once the dealer has said, "We can't fix it."

Yes, I know the quarter panel misalignment might be a small issue, but I see it EVERY minute I'm in the car,as I'm staring right at it the entire time I'm driving. I wish I'd known that I'd never, in three years, be able to get over seeing it.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 04-25-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: What do you wish you knew about your Fit before you bought it?