General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Type of gas u use & gas mileage....

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Benggolf
Jonathan, how do you get such good mileage on your FiT? Do you travel a stretch of highway on your daily commute?

I basically ply the Richmond-Vancouver-Richmond route during rush hours and occasional trips to the mall.
If you are doing the Richmond - Vancouver - Richmond drive, then I can see why your gas mileage is lower than mine. I live in Coquitlam and drives to UBC everyday for that tank. The only stretch of "highway" that I travelled on was Barnet. After that it's Hastings all the way and then 4th Avenue to school.

But it is still considered to be much better than bumper to bumper traffic that you have to go through.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
Did a bit of highway driving this weekend 'cause my gf had to work at Park Royal in West Vancouver. Trips are mostly between Coquitlam <-> Port Coquitlam <-> West Vancouver

6.1L/100km for 85% highway and 15% city driving with 20% oil life left

I think my bank account will deplete soon if I keep on doing this... even if I'm driving a FIT lol!

Old 01-21-2007, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by startroops
Did a bit of highway driving this weekend 'cause my gf had to work at Park Royal in West Vancouver. Trips are mostly between Coquitlam <-> Port Coquitlam <-> West Vancouver

6.1L/100km for 85% highway and 15% city driving with 20% oil life left

I think my bank account will deplete soon if I keep on doing this... even if I'm driving a FIT lol!
If you really want great gas mileage, you will need to switch to a Smart!

Old 01-25-2007, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Benggolf
If you really want great gas mileage, you will need to switch to a Smart!
Nah, a Smart doesn't have 5 seats, a trunk, and I don't like diesel. :P

It's not a Honda either!!

Old 02-08-2007, 11:57 PM
My first fill-up today. The little gas signal came on and I drove a bit to get to a gas station. I put in $28 worth (cheapest gas they have) and it was more than full??? I thought when the gas light comes on that you'd better high-tail it to a station. There must still be a little left when the light goes on then.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:36 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sera
My first fill-up today. The little gas signal came on and I drove a bit to get to a gas station. I put in $28 worth (cheapest gas they have) and it was more than full??? I thought when the gas light comes on that you'd better high-tail it to a station. There must still be a little left when the light goes on then.
$28?? that's it??? that's REALLY weird!! with a 41L gas tank, i'm speculating that the last 5-8L is the reserve(gas light on) With this calculation, with 33L left, with gas prices close to $1.00/L, you shold have paid atleast $33. How much was the gas at that time??

Old 02-24-2007, 02:03 AM
Hi
Weird thing. 1st fill-up, gas was 94.5cents/ltr. On my 2nd fill-up, I only put in $20 due to experience from 1st time. However, it was only 3/4 full. Gas was 96.9 cents/ltr. Now, I'm about ready for the third fill-up...however, the gas light hasn't come on...in fact, the needle doesn't seem to have moved all day and I did more driving than normal today. I'm a little confused.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
sometimes i can fill up my Fit Sport auto with $17 or so, but the fuel is 87 octane at Shell. Ive been wondering if i can go higher octane for example the Shell Defenda Premium at 93 octane. Will premium gas affect negatively my car or something? or what are the consecuences of this, all ive known is that my parents car requires premium because of the motor cuz its supercharged, dunno about a vtec Fit

Old 03-15-2007, 04:20 PM
those of you using over 87 octane in your fits are kinda sorta doing nothing good for them. unless you're spraying, upping the compression ratio (static), or boosting, you don't need a more stable fuel.

higher octane = more stable. heck, gas is a stabilizer for the combustion process, as what burns is actually the air entering the motor. hm, that misspeaks a tad. gas burns -less- than air. higher octane = needs more violent combustion process to make use of it properly = you should have a compression ratio of 11:1 or above if NA.

87 is easier to burn so it should produce the best results. a prior post was dead on: chevron (and similar companies) put the same additives in their entire line of gas fuels. i'm not going to say anything about diesel since i don't know diesel at all.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Chevron 87 and get 32-34 city and 37-42 (yes got it on the way from Los Angelese to Vegas, 65-70 mph whole way) mpg.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
this is getting too cientific for me, so ill just put into it whatever I have on my pocket and if it's ok with my needs.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:43 PM
89 is what is recommended.. Higher octane burns slower and is only needed for high compression engines, which the FIT is not.... I run 92 in my DC5 and even 100 for track racing but it does have a high compression engine and runs on a min of 92..... jut FYI

Old 03-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by rekcah
89 is what is recommended.. Higher octane burns slower and is only needed for high compression engines, which the FIT is not.... I run 92 in my DC5 and even 100 for track racing but it does have a high compression engine and runs on a min of 92..... jut FYI
sorry meant 87 not 89 lol why cant we edit posts or am I missing something here

Old 03-31-2007, 10:14 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by rekcah
sorry meant 87 not 89 lol why cant we edit posts or am I missing something here
You should be able to edit. It's next to the quote button isn't it? (i can't tell cuz I can edit even yours haha, but when I wasn't a mod I could edit own posts)

I used ot want to try 91 vs 87, even though I was told higher octane reduces knocking and nothing else. But the fit does have a high comression ratio, so I wanted to perform an experiment anyway. Anyway, given gas prices, now 's not a good time to do the experiment :\

Old 07-29-2012, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
Hi guys

am nethy from Mauritius new honda Jazz 2005 1.2 I-Dsi owner
i have 76000 km on the counter

and ive done a full and am doing 6.9 L\Km

please let me know how i can attain the 5.1L\Km claimed by Honda

Cheers
Nethy

Old 07-31-2012, 04:39 AM
been using 87 since i got her, avg about 20s in the city 30+ hwy ac kills a bit but its better than what i was getting with my 1980 malibu that i was driving a few years back lol

Last edited by craigquakertown; 07-31-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:46 AM
Originally Posted by jsmonet
those of you using over 87 octane in your fits are kinda sorta doing nothing good for them. unless you're spraying, upping the compression ratio (static), or boosting, you don't need a more stable fuel.

higher octane = more stable. heck, gas is a stabilizer for the combustion process, as what burns is actually the air entering the motor. hm, that misspeaks a tad. gas burns -less- than air. higher octane = needs more violent combustion process to make use of it properly = you should have a compression ratio of 11:1 or above if NA.

87 is easier to burn so it should produce the best results. a prior post was dead on: chevron (and similar companies) put the same additives in their entire line of gas fuels. i'm not going to say anything about diesel since i don't know diesel at all.
be careful some people on here will make you want to prove your point scientifically on here i already had to block a few guys for a mileage post i had

Old 07-31-2012, 09:54 AM
Way to bump a 5 years dead thread, and Craig.. I realize how that whole science/actual facts thing can be inconvenient for someone who just wants to go with their gut.

The ECU and sensor feedback don't lie. I have datalogs, others have scantool data.. you have NOTHING but what you would like to believe bolstered by others who have the same incomprehensible zeal to put forth bullshit.

Neither you nor the guy you are quoting (post is from 2007 and hasn't even logged in to FF.net since 2009) know what you are talking about.

You don't want to use premium, no problem.. no Gasoline Stazi is going to kidnap you in the middle of the night and stuff you in a gulag.

However, you should stop making shit up and using other people who don't now what they are talking about to attempt reinforce your willfull ignorance and pretend to be authoritative to others who don't know any better and won't do any real research to clarify it for themselves anyways.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 07-31-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Without going all scientific, how about goober's spreadsheet?

This has 42 premium fills and 32 regular. Difference in MPG is 0.55mpg for premium (not significant). And this is from an avid premium user over mostly city driving (deliveries) where premium should hold an advantage providing greater low end torque with more advanced timing in a Fit with a manual transmission.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:42 PM
That is one data set, pertaining to one car, one driver and less than controlled circumstances.

We cant account for idle time, driving habits, etc.

Just increasing timing without changing the fueling schema will only increase torque for the same fuel mass consumed.

We also don't know how often he goes WOT, etc.

As usual its anecdotal, and even during delivery driving, the thing that should stand out to you were you being open minded on the matter, is even in those conditions he maintains that average ~0.5mpg increase ACROSS THE BOARD.

Also note, his lowest return on regular, is lower than that of the lowest return on premium. Premium's best average is also higher than regular's peak return. Whats the common denominator there Steve?

I'm not going to put words in his mouth, but a delivery drivers (I was one for 5 years myself) habits of operation and demands on the car are going to be a bit different than that of a hypermiler who could take advantage of that fuel with a different driving style.

Even then, Goobers spreadsheet is one dataset, from an admittedly often "spirited" driver

Not that I blame him, with the Swifts and RPF1s on a 5MT hes got a fun GE haha

I am also an avid premium user, and my commute is somewhat demanding. Lately I see anywhere from 160-190miles/5.x gallons, but I have returned 24x miles on 5.x gallons on more than a few of my out of state excursions when driving with economy in mind as well and posted pictures to that effect at least once.(you posted in that thread too, IIRC)

Not to mention my best-ever tank (~44.x mpg) was when I dumped in the remainder of some VP C16 (116oct race fuel) in the tank on a 400mile return trip from the cabin loaded down with people, gear, the A/C on and cruising (closed loop operation) at 75mph the whole way in a 5MT sport with the short final gear.

How you drive that car and where, is just as important as the fuel (in most cases more so), lets not take this to absurd absolutes shall we?

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 07-31-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Type of gas u use & gas mileage....