General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Replacement tires for my'12 fit sport in POTHOLE infested NYC

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
2Rismo2 - hehe funny! I guess it could be worse..we haven't started dodging cows or goats yet but we do have to dodge the walking-wounded every day.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:12 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sounds good. GL in your tire search.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Zero2Hero
2Rismo2 - hehe funny! I guess it could be worse..we haven't started dodging cows or goats yet but we do have to dodge the walking-wounded every day.
All kidding aside, it's easier to drive in 3rd world countries than NYC. At least in 3rd world countries, the drivers aren't glued to their phones like they are stateside.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
i'll second that..and the subway system is even worse...its actually downright nasty and disgusting in many stations- again, in line with third world service..then again ive seen better roads and subway efficiency in a place like Bangkok than Brooklyn... how did it get to this??? I guess that's for another forum altogether LOL!!!

Old 02-23-2018, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to get side tracked. I went with the generals as tire rack gave them good reviews and they have a 65k tread life. Since the fit is my commuter car that's a big priority because I drive 20k miles a year.
​​​

Last edited by 2Rismo2; 02-23-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
re: how did it get to this???, not you- I was referring to the state of affairs hehe.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
ashchuckton - So your son didn't opt for the 205's ? i'll check if there's a Discount tire near me - thanks
No 205's he decided that the oem size was OK with him. I paid the bill, but he made his choice. If he drove in pot hole infested country I may have pushed for the 205 tires.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Kenchan - thanks

Old 02-23-2018, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Ashchuckton - I see..yea I guess how/where you drive the car may make a difference- what I do know for certain is this, if I could afford to buy (and maintain) a Hummer, it would have been the right car for this terrain.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:31 PM
ski
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
sensitive you are. i wasn’t posting it at you, did you see your name in my post?
i was just showing how one would calculate sidewall thickness. useful to know if you didn’t know, don’t you think?

i mean you do agree your initial post was a complete newb post just taking a 50 aspect ratio and assuming it was shorter sidewall vs 55. now people can calculate on their own if desired.
You're apparently incapable of grasping the obvious. So I'll spell it out for you.
I quoted only the last few words you wrote in your post. Thus, I was referring to only those words as being superfluous, and not your entire post.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:42 AM
Hi,

Another approach would be to get some early Fit 14" alloy rims and mount tires with a higher aspect ratio.
With a similar tire height, you will have at least an inch more of sidewall to flex.
Maximum cornering speed will be compromised a bit.

Our 2008 base Fit has 185/75/13 tires and does fine with potholes. Cornering is ok.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Hi guys- I recently purchased a '12 Honda Fit sport, it has 33K on it and need to replace the stock Dunlop 185/55/16 tires. What concerns me the most about driving in NYC is the massive amounts of serious potholes EVERYWHERE you go. Not only am I concerned about getting a smoother ride (in general) but I find that my front fenders are getting loose on one side as I notice the gaping is wider(where the fender meets the door). Being originally from Cali, I now know why people STILL drive huge tanks in this city...its to mitigate the carnage from potholes and just bad roads in general.

While obviously the Fit is a basic commuter and not a luxury Lexus where comfort is paramount, what set of tires would you recommend to " Soften the blow " as it were...then again my question may be more a suspension issue than a tire issue - I'm not certain. At any rate, I am currently looking at Hankook Ventus V2 Concept 2 for $62 per tire. Has anyone tried these tires on a Fit Sport ?

Ive read suggestions of going with a bigger tire like the 205 I believe..i guess whatever would give me a less bumpier ride..i am not a racer or don't drive my Fit hard, just your average commuter driving less than 10K a year.

till soon
Zero2Hero

Old 02-28-2018, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
You can get the front end aligned, the stock backend is unable to be aligned unless you get aftermarket components. If you've never got the car aligned, it's probably a good idea to do so. A bad alignment can reduce the life of tires. Since my daily round trip commute takes me over 4 railroad tracks, I get an alignment 1-2 times a year. I have a lifetime alignment at my local tire place so it's free so long as I own this car.

I hit a pothole hard enough that it actually popped the sidewall of a tire on the Fit (before I went 205). It also screwed up the toe enough to need an alignment.

I've used TireRack and recently TireBuyer to purchase tires. You can then have them drop shipped to a local tire installer for mounting/balancing. I've been happy with both, but found that you can search for coupon codes. I was able to get a better price using TireBuyer.
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
No 205's he decided that the oem size was OK with him. I paid the bill, but he made his choice. If he drove in pot hole infested country I may have pushed for the 205 tires.
205/50/16 will do nothing for protecting against potholes.

Especially on the OEM wheels.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Zero: NYC? Cali? you really are a glutten for punishment
Having lived 22 years in NYC and now sadly in Cali, I can sympathize. You now know why people who live in the city don't own a car at all. Insurance is ridiculous, parking is impossible and the streets are choked with cars and potholes. Short of driving a Caprise Classic, nothing will tame the NYC roads. Cabs (the solid kind not the liquid kind) and mass transit is the way to go. Constant car repairs and sitting in horrendous traffic is not. Best of luck with your decision. I'm moving to a much smaller and warmer city where the only bumps I will encounter are pythons crossing the road at night.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
BurntZ - hehe..Indeed Cali orbits its own planet...its the hardcore indifference thats really hard to swallow (I know its everywhere but some have it worse) in NYC..people are so beaten down, they barely flinch when sitting next to a homeless/vigrant train hopper that stinks to high heaven..any tourist would jump out of that car and into the next. The pay is better ofcourse but the taxes and daily expenses negate the benefits of higher pay. The subway system is an option but its derelict for the most part and foul stench is always all around you..ALSO don't ever expect to get anywhere on time..expect to be 30-40 minute almost every time you head out..

re: Caprise Classic, just yesterday i walked into this gas station very close to my house, that has a souped up '65 orange-red mustang parked there everyday so being the naïve (but friendly)Californian, I went in to the office to inquire if the owner had any thoughts of selling it (since it is parked there every single day without being moved)..the office attendant gave me such a horrific look as if I were preparing to highjack the car or something, to put it simply...new yorkers are a different beast altogether..i guess I was day dreaming about driving a vintage mustang down sunny route 1 until reality set in.

Last edited by Zero2Hero; 02-28-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
mike410B- Weird thing about this city is when you try to dodge the bigger potholes, other drivers look at you like you crazy because everyone and their shiny new car just bulldoze over every pothole - you can't do that in a Honda fit, atleast not mine (that's why you'll see so few of them in this city) so I will continue to dodge 'em until further notice

Old 02-28-2018, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
WR2008Base - thanks for the tip but I've already ordered my 205's, so we'll see how they work out in this concrete jungle..