General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.
View Poll Results: Shift nobs, heavy or light?
Heavy
69.23%
Light
30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Light or Heavy shift nob?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 07:32 AM
Question Light or Heavy shift nob?

I've seen several comments around shift nobs, specifically around the weight. I'm curious what others chose and why.

To kick off the chat: I've personally chosen a nob that's about the same weight (if not lighter) than the oem one. I like the ease of flicking it around and without extra mass i can feel when my transmission is slightly unhappy with my shift(,? as opposed to smashing through with more weight?idk). Contrary to my belief: I have read on brochure sites (like twmperformance for instance) that the heft in the nob can improve the perceived performance of the car... Idk care to share?

Last edited by knope; 07-08-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
I voted "heavy" although the knob I got isn't really all that heavy, maybe 3.5x what the factory knob weighs (which isn't saying a lot ). It's "leather" (pleather?) wrapped milled aluminum, weighs maybe 9 oz-ish….the factory plastic was like 2.5 oz, and felt like it....to me, it felt like a cheap video game shift knob.....the new one feels proper to me. I'm sure there's a tipping point where too much weight might be detrimental, but this is just right, to me … it's a nice, smaller size

Last edited by Fuelish; 07-08-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
heavier will make it easier to get into the gates, but hondas are notorious for grinding gears so id keep it near the stock weight. no need to abuse the flimsy syncro's.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
.... no need to abuse the flimsy syncro's.
as a bump, and since i can't "vote up","like" the post. This is sound logic.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
heavier will make it easier to get into the gates, but hondas are notorious for grinding gears so id keep it near the stock weight. no need to abuse the flimsy syncro's.
Cars/transmissions don't grind gears by themselves (if in proper working order), drivers cause this to happen. No gear grindin' here

Old 07-22-2018, 07:54 PM

I got a heavy and it just makes shifting smoother and it is a bit larger so it it more comfortable.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
I put in a 1lb (454g) stainless steel spherical shift knob from WC Lathewerks that I had on my old BRZ.
It was the first thing I did, namely because the OEM plastic knob felt so flimsy and cheap/rattly.
I do find it makes the shifts easier from an effort/force perspective, and felt better in my hand than the OEM piece (need gloves in those Toronto winters though).
However, I briefly had the same knob on my S2000, and found that it made it much easier to miss-shift (I put it into 1st intending for 3rd a couple times; thankfully I wasn't winding it out, and clutched in quick to avoid money-shifting). Swapped it back to the titanium OEM knob (which is very light).

I do feel like the Fit has a much more forgiving nature, and so far the heavier knob (paired with a 3" shifter extension) has been very enjoyable.
I have not missed any shifts on the Fit (maybe the gates are just that much wider than on the S2000 6-speed).
On the BRZ, I had it paired with MTEC shift springs and a TRD quickshifter for a very notchy/visceral shifting experience (although others who drove my car did note that it was much harder to put into gear), and again it fixed the cheap/plasticky/rattly feel of the OEM knob.

For really aggressive driving (i.e. track use), I'd probably opt for the better feedback of a lighter knob, but for daily duties, the heavier knob is pretty nice.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:52 PM
Prefer heavy and leather.

Took the oem from Protege5 and put it in my Integra.

I've tried lighter ones, and plastic ones (Delron?) and hated them all.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
... hondas are notorious for grinding gears …..
Cars don't grind gears, people do ….never heard of Honda's being "notorious" for this …. what do I know??? All I know is, my Honda doesn't "grind gears," and I have a somewhat heavier than stock knob.....not heavy enough that I'd use the term "weighted," but.....the stock knob felt like a '70's arcade game shifter, cheap as all get out

Old 08-05-2018, 11:26 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
meh, the only cars that grind repeatedly were hondas over 30 yrs driving MT cars. even today people complain of ctr grinding gears too.

my non honda MT cars some times cause lock outs but rarely (if at all) grind. this is over 3 decades of experience driving so i’m not posting BS, just a FYI. i don’t remember ever grinding any of my subarus and one time a nissan of mine grinded while brand new .. so it ain’t me.